Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
cannondalerob

Default 3 Brush Generator

I bought a NOS 3 brush generator for my 36 that was missing the pulley. I have purchased 4 pulleys over the past 6 months, and none of them will fit. I need a pulley with the fan mount. The Generator has an AA4 marking on it. What year is this for, and where can I find a pulley that will fit it?
cannondalerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
Randy

Default Re: 3 Brush Generator

What about the other 4 pulleys will not fit? It might help someone help you if you could post some pics of the generator, the pulleys that won't fit and describe why.

Last edited by Randy; 01-27-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
Old Henry

So, here's my shot in the dark.
Your generator is most likely an 81A-10000-A six volt 28 amp generator for 1932-39 90 and 100 hp engines. If so, you would need the 4.38" diameter pulley here: http://macsautoparts.com/early-v8-fo...0R3CHL1140607/

Or, if by chance it is a 40-10000-A for 33-35 it would need the smaller 4.08" diameter pulley here:

http://macsautoparts.com/early-v8-fo...0R3CHL1140543/

If you haven't tried either one of those pulleys I think I'd buy both, hope one fits, and send back any that doesn't.

Here's the generator chart I looked at to figure that out. You might figure out something different from it.

Here's the fan if you need one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/flathead-for...item3a6f492d8f

Last edited by Old Henry; 01-27-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Some fan mount pulleys were keyed and some were threaded. FoMoCo made replacement parts and so did outside aftermarket manufacturers. You really have to describe the generator shaft that you have well. Diameter, length of effective stub, keyed or not, threaded or not. There are a lot of different possibilities.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-27-2012 at 11:47 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

You don't say how they fail to fit, but pulleys 1932-36 uses pulleys with a substantially smaller hole than the '37-9 and later types.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
cannondalerob

Ok, I have pictures, but I don't know how to post them.It is a keyway shaft on the the generator. The shaft is a bigger diameter than any of the pulleys. The front of a gererator has a big nose like a late model, 2 brush. If anyone can tell me how to post pistures, i will.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #7
cannondalerob

The shaft diameter of the pulleys is approximately 5/8 ". The diameter of the shaft on the generator is something bigger.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
jimvette59

Look on ebay item #160722491654
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
Old Henry

Here are the instructions for posting a picture found here: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/faq.ph...b3_attachments

How do I attach a file to a post?
To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.
On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.
To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.
Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.
What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?
In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.
How do I add an image to a post?
If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.
To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondalerob View Post
Ok, I have pictures, but I don't know how to post them.It is a keyway shaft on the the generator. The shaft is a bigger diameter than any of the pulleys. The front of a gererator has a big nose like a late model, 2 brush. If anyone can tell me how to post pistures, i will.
Somewhere on this website there is a section for frequently asked questions. There is supposedly something there on how to post pictures. You could also do a search for " posting pictures" or "picture posting". There have been many good threads explaining how to do this. It is very easy to do although many are apparently not willing to even try.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-28-2012 at 04:05 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
David J

Left is 34 , front is 33 & right came off a 39 motor I plucked out of a 33 . B-O-B had this same issue & he got the pulley off the big shaft one & it had the fan mount stuff on it .He's a good guy so a PM in his direction should cure the "what do I need bit " .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
You don't say how they fail to fit, but pulleys 1932-36 uses pulleys with a substantially smaller hole than the '37-9 and later types.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3456.JPG (75.6 KB, 43 views)
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
David J

Looks like a small shaft one jimvette59 refers to . Pics are from epay ad # 250980239733 & match what I have-had . Definately big shaft & definately NOT 34 .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvette59 View Post
Look on ebay item #160722491654

Last edited by David J; 01-28-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: add info
Old 01-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
The 36 shaft size is .590 and the 37-39 and later shaft size is .668.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #14
cannondalerob

The right one looks just like mine. Who is B-O-B?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
David J

B-O-B is his username here . I think the pulley he got off the right generator was the same as the one in the pics I liberated offen epay . Barnfind08 { username here } may have these . He's got most evvathin else . Good luck .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondalerob View Post
The right one looks just like mine. Who is B-O-B?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #16
Old Henry

Here are pictures of Rob's (canondalerob) generator in question that he emailed to me and I am posting for him. Hope it can help you in the know to help him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1052.JPG (203.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1054.JPG (188.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #17
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J View Post
Looks like a small shaft one jimvette59 refers to . Pics are from epay ad # 250980239733 & match what I have-had . Definately big shaft & definately NOT 34 .
David, Can you post or send me a picture of the back and maybe a side view, showing how tall the cooling vanes are? Thanks, Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
JM 35 Sedan

I believe the pulley you need is the '39 standard pulley or a similar version was used on some 60 HP engines. I have some of these pulleys and some pictures of them filed in my computer but cannot post them from my smart phone.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #19
cannondalerob

You would be willing to sell one or trade for what I have?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #20
David J

Randy , The only one I had B-O-B got . The pics of the complete one were "liberated" offen epay . I'm pretty sure the one I used to have was the 81A- like the one in my last pics . Cannondalerob , I don't have another one to trade but methinkz there's plenty around . GOOD LUCK .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
David, Can you post or send me a picture of the back and maybe a side view, showing how tall the cooling vanes are? Thanks, Randy