Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2021, 05:24 PM   #21
Mart

Default Re: NEW starting problem

Paul. You don't polarise the regulator, you polarise the generator.
With all connections in place, you remove the field wire at the regulator and flash it on the bat terminal a couple of times then reattach it. This is pre-loading the field terminals with the correct voltage to polarise the generator. In effect you put a straight 12V* straight to the field windings.
* if you are running 12V if not, 6V.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:22 PM   #22
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
I did polarize the regulator wheen I installed it. Identicle to the one taken off and wires went back to same places. I had a few minutes to day and removed the wire from the SMALL stud on the side of the generator, applied power and it still motored. There is a small ground strap from the gen to the block and the mounting is bare metal. The gen was taken to a shop and I was told it was good. Only thing he was concerned with iss the armature had a little front to rear movement, maybe a "smidge" over 1/8".
Paul

Paul ....This is NOT going well. I 've spent a lot of time involved with this for the past two days. Most IMPORTANTLY, I have attempted to be very methodical in asking questions. I've also tried to be very clear and detailed with my questions. I have asked you some very specific questions, but you tend to come back with FEW specific answers. I have a specific reason for asking each question of you.

PLEASE understand that I don't mind helping you at all. But I do not enjoy wasting OUR time. So.....I believe we should start over ONCE AGAIN. I will ask clear and detailed questions. I will number each question so as to make the answers easily identifiable. I will ask that you answer EACH question specifically and completely. I may make an explanatory comment after each question. These comments will begin with two X's (XX) so that you know it is not a question requiring an answer. Here goes!
__________________________________________________ _______

1. You say that you had the generator checked. You said that the ARMATURE post had some slight movement. Earlier, you said that the posts were NOT marked. Which post on generator are you calling the ARMATURE....the side post, or the rear post?

XX --BOTH of those generator posts should be insulated, and not able to move, even a smidge. That could POSSIBLY cause problems if either post is shorting to the case. It could also cause problems if there is a loose connection inside. The guy who checked your generator for you is an idiot!

2. You said that today, you removed the wire from the SMALL stud on generator (That SHOULD be the FIELD wire). You then said: "I removed the wire from the SMALL stud on the side of the generator, applied power and it still motored." When you did that, did you apply the power to that FIELD wire, or to the FIELD post on GENERATOR?

3. HOW did you apply that POWER? WHAT was that power source, and what was the approximate voltage?

4. Earlier in this thread, you indicated that you were NOT sure what the POLARIZING process involved. Then in my lengthy POST #12 above, I went through that POLARIZING process STEP by STEP. You indicate that you POLARIZED the regulator when you installed it. You HAVE NOT indicated that you POLARIZED it AGAIN after I explained the process, and I requested that you polarize it again, when I told you that we needed to start from scratch.

So, in THIS order, will you please (with engine and ignition turned-off) remove BATTERY CABLE at POSITIVE BATT post. Now, re-install that battery cable on POSITIVE BATT post. Carefully remove FIELD wire from REGULATOR.
Carefully, take the end of "FLD" wire and briefly TOUCH it to the "BAT" terminal on VOLTAGE REGulator. Do that a couple of times. You should see a slight spark each time. Now, carefully re-connect the "FLD" wire to the "FLD" terminal on voltage regulator. Now, have you re-polarized following that precise procedure?

XX... Paul, the reason that we must do this in an organized manner is because I don't have a clue what you have possibly done taking wires off in the wrong order, with power on, & with power off. Your loose post on GENERATOR may have shorted-out the generator, or even the regulator. You CAN'T just go poking around and disconnecting things hap-hazardly with some of these electrical systems.

5. I had asked that you RE-VERIFY that the wires are correctly hooked-up at generator & voltage regulator. I'm going to ask that you VERIFY that YOUR proper wires (both ends) DO MATCH the connections in the TOP HALF of colored drawing BELOW. Now, have you re-polarized following that precise procedure? Now, do you still have the 'motoring' problem?

So, what do we have, Paul? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:05 AM   #23
1931 flamingo

V8COOPMAN. I do realize you are trying to help me and I appreciate it.
1. The studs on the gen are TIGHT. It's the arm itself that has some front to rear movement.
2. I've got a batt disconnect on the POS terminal on the battery which is how "I apply power".
3. The source is the 6V batt, approx 6.3 V.
4. Will get to car in a while.

This problem started PRIOR to changing sol or regulaator.
Paul
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:41 AM   #24
Bob C

In your original starting problem thread (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304488) it sounded like you had the wrong solenoid
but there was never any mention if that problem was solved.
In this thread you say that the generator motoring is turning the engine over
when you turn your battery disconnect on, which I find hard to believe.
Could you humor me and disconnect both wires from the generator and then
turn the battery disconnect on and see what happens.
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:33 PM   #25
AnthonyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Well either 2 regulators are wrong, or the wiring is incorrect.

How can the generator motor? It motors because it is being fed from the battery. You are the man on the ground and only you can troubleshoot it.
If you disconnect the arm terminal on the generator is it live?

This shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Mart.
Coopman is giving great instruction & pictorals & I totally respect his knowledge but Mart is making sense. If it was working as wired before until Gen started acting wacky & & you replaced with correct regulator & wire the same as before & it’s not the points in the reg. stuck, then you gotta have an issue in your wiring. Is the wiring old? Could be shorting between wires bringing / sending current thru reg.?
Old 10-14-2021, 01:12 PM   #26
1931 flamingo

Yes, original wiring. Trying to find somebody to replace it all.
Paul
V8, will do rest of checks tomorrow.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:54 PM   #27
koates

I have never ever seen a generator being able to turn over a flathead V8 engine via the fan belt even if the generator is powered up from the battery to make it motor, just not possible. Now you finally make a mention that you have replaced the starter solenoid. You have the wrong solenoid or the one you have is wired so that it engages as soon as you turn the battery switch on and the starter motor is cranking the engine over. NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GENERATOR. With all respects some people who know nothing about auto electrics should leave these jobs to people who do know what they are doing. Disconnect your small solenoid wires and see if the cranking stops. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:30 PM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
I have never ever seen a generator being able to turn over a flathead V8 engine via the fan belt even if the generator is powered up from the battery to make it motor, just not possible. Now you finally make a mention that you have replaced the starter solenoid. You have the wrong solenoid or the one you have is wired so that it engages as soon as you turn the battery switch on and the starter motor is cranking the engine over. NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GENERATOR. With all respects some people who know nothing about auto electrics should leave these jobs to people who do know what they are doing. Disconnect your small solenoid wires and see if the cranking stops. Regards, Kevin.
Damn....That Koates fellow down there upside down is a pretty sharp THINKER! You may just be on to something, Kevin! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 10-14-2021, 09:05 PM   #29
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Damn....That Koates fellow down there upside down is a pretty sharp THINKER! You may just be on to something, Kevin! DD

Similar to what I said in post #24.
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:30 PM   #30
koates

V8COOPMAN, Thanks for the praise up but im just a simple mechanic/electrician. You are the patient one with all the tech info and drawings. I get somewhat frustrated when trying to help people who just wont do the checks that are being advised. And then there are the others who answer problems who have no idea what they are talking about. I think some are just in the race to have the highest number of posts on here. RANT OVER. There is no way that a generator wired to run as a motor with a tight belt would have enough torque to rotate a v8 motor with the spark plugs in place. 2nd RANT OVER. Problem is the asker of the questions often does not give all the information. which would help diagnose the fault. And then when they have fixed the problem with your advice you never hear about it. 3rd RANT OVER. Regards, Kevin
Old 10-14-2021, 09:33 PM   #31
koates

Bob C, YOU showed very good thinking on this one as well. Correct on all accounts. Regards, Kevin.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:14 PM   #32
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
V8COOPMAN, Thanks for the praise up but im just a simple mechanic/electrician. You are the patient one with all the tech info and drawings. I get somewhat frustrated when trying to help people who just wont do the checks that are being advised.
Bob C & Kevin BOTH .....I went through the greatest part of my career with FAA as a mechanical & electrical type at a busy Air Traffic Control Center. More notably, I pride myself as a detail-oriented and pre-planner type. Patience is also a strong virtue of mine, and I try my best to COMMUNICATE concisely with folks....to include those that MAY be a little behind the UNDERSTANDING or LEARNING curve (as Kevin alludes to)....hence, my penchant for supportive and informational drawings & diagrams.

Bob....I completely missed your "spot-on" assessment, and Kevin....YOU don't miss much either, and on a regular basis, too! I probably would have enjoyed working with either of you's guys! Dick D (DD)

PS: As far as I'm concerned, Paul's 'problem' has been debunked by a couple of the best.

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 10-14-2021, 11:29 PM   #33
Tinker

Coop thanks for the resume. No one was questioning your car credentials or whom you would only hang out with. Your a smart guy. I'm sure slamming this guy really is what every previous poster was hoping to do. Be well.

Maybe this guy invented punch cards computers, maybe he worked on city plumbing dynamics, maybe he is a retired road worker.

Helping isn't always effective with a bunch of information in a post on the internet and getting frustrated to the reaction. Sometimes help requires understanding what someone needs and maybe some physical help. Not what you know and post only. Is the objective to help or to post how much you know. It is an interesting thing.

Last edited by Tinker; 10-15-2021 at 12:13 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:14 PM   #34
1931 flamingo

My battery needs charging and I need new leads for my meter. Bear with me please.
I thought somebody mentioned disconnecting the lead from the starter sw to the solenoid, I did and no change.
KOATES: It does motor counterclockwise even with the fan belt on.

I DO appreciate the help/advice given here, and am trying to answer the questions/suggestions given.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:36 PM   #35
V8COOPMAN

Quote:

I thought somebody mentioned disconnecting the lead from the starter sw to the solenoid, I did and no change.

So Paul .....Read this CAREFULLY!

Are you telling us that you had your BATTERY DISCONNECT SWITCH OFF?

And while the BATT SWITCH was off, you disconnected the small wire (to the start BUTTON) from the SMALL TERMINAL on the solenoid?

And then, when you turned the BATT SWITCH back ON, "the generator began motoring"?

IS that clearly what you're saying?

IF THAT IS what you are saying happened, we know the fix! We can make ONE MORE check with the ohm meter to prove it. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 10-15-2021, 07:12 PM   #36
koates

When speaking of things running clockwise or anticlockwise then you should be looking at the driven or driving end. In the case of your generator you look at the front of the pulley which means it would rotate clockwise, even when motoring. You still have me very puzzled over this situation. Please disconnect all of the three wires from your voltage regulator ( leave both wires on the generator connected) and turn the battery ON. What happens ? Also how many small wires or terminals are on your starter solenoid ? Regards, Kevin.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:41 AM   #37
1931 flamingo

Battery still dead and new meter hasn't arrived yet.

I'm sorry I may have mis-spoke, it does rotate CLOCKWISE.
Paul
I will do what was suggested when battery charged.
Paul
Old 10-17-2021, 08:32 PM   #38
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Very interesting thread! Flamingo, hope you hang in there and post what you find out is the solution!! Sure sounds like something is wired up wrong.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:04 PM   #39
sugarmaker

Paul,
Yes hang in there. I have smoked a couple systems by having wires I thought were in the right place, not in the right place. One time in a regulator I had blue wire going to "B" terminal for battery just because it starts with same letter. Your doing good and these guys will help from afar!
Regards
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:43 PM   #40
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Battery still dead and new meter hasn't arrived yet.

I'm sorry I may have mis-spoke, it does rotate CLOCKWISE.
Paul
I will do what was suggested when battery charged.
Paul

OK Paul, we're back, and your battery must be charged, and hopefully, your VOM meter is working again. So, let's get your problems solved and get you rollin' again!

Now, you say that you have re-polarized the generator. Let's try a NEW experiment.
__________________________________________________ ____

With your BATTERY disconnect turned-OFF, can you disconnect BOTH wires from the generator? That should be the smaller FIELD wire on the side, and the larger ARMATURE wire at the rear. CAREFULLY BEND BOTH WIRES so that they will NOT touch anything nearby.

Now, turn your BATTERY disconnect switch back to ON.

Now, is the engine ATTEMPTING to TURN-OVER by itself? IF YES, turn your BATTERY disconnect OFF!

So, did ANYTHING happen?

DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE