Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2017, 01:38 AM   #1
old28

Default Question on 185G flathead springs

I have tested a set of 185G springs and they are 85# @ 2.00" install height. I have not been able to find the coil bind number. Anyone know what it is for the 185G and stock springs?
old28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:09 AM   #2
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Question on 185G flathead springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by old28 View Post
I have tested a set of 185G springs and they are 85# @ 2.00" install height. I have not been able to find the coil bind number. Anyone know what it is for the 185G and stock springs?
Clamp a spring in your vise and tighten until it is coil bound and measure length.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
old28

40 Deluxe -- Thanks, I was not sure if that was the true coil bound length, or was there a safety factor in the number length.
old28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by old28 View Post
40 Deluxe -- Thanks, I was not sure if that was the true coil bound length, or was there a safety factor in the number length.
Well, don't crush the spring in the vise, measure when the coils just touch. Obviously you wouldn't run a spring at coil bind. Seems like I read to allow at least .080" but not totally sure.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #5
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Well, don't crush the spring in the vise, measure when the coils just touch. Obviously you wouldn't run a spring at coil bind. Seems like I read to allow at least .080" but not totally sure.
Just did some online research. Crower Cams says .050" minimum; Crane, Lunati, K-Motion and others say .060" minimum.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #6
Ronnieroadster

Compressing the spring in the vise will give you a measurement for full bind but checking in the block is really where you need to see if your going to have a bind issue.
When you place the spring in the block at the assembled height of 2 inch you should then check the height of the spring when the valve is at full lift. When checking in the block use a light spring for the test assembly. A typical hipo cam will have say .375 lift with no lash you should see plenty of space between the coils.
Thats how i do it just to be sure on each engien I build.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:47 PM   #7
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Compressing the spring in the vise will give you a measurement for full bind but checking in the block is really where you need to see if your going to have a bind issue.
When you place the spring in the block at the assembled height of 2 inch you should then check the height of the spring when the valve is at full lift. When checking in the block use a light spring for the test assembly. A typical hipo cam will have say .375 lift with no lash you should see plenty of space between the coils.
Thats how i do it just to be sure on each engien I build.
Ronnie:

Thanks for the input. When say light spring, any spring that 2" that will hold up the valve will work or is there "set-up" spring that you use?

Thanks,

Tim
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:37 PM   #8
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Ronnie:

Thanks for the input. When say light spring, any spring that 2" that will hold up the valve will work or is there "set-up" spring that you use?

Thanks,

Tim

Yes Tim the spring I use is very light material I get from the local hardware store. Any type of spring will work that's firm enough to just hold the retainer and keepers in place so the dimensions can be measured. The spring is easy to compress by hand so assembly is easy to do inside the engine for the measuring. Any good hardware store will have a selection of springs usually mounted on a board the one I use is just long enough to fit between the spring retainer and the guide. The spring wire is so light that if I need to extend its length its easy to just pull it longer.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote