Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2018, 11:02 AM   #21
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Different take on seat belts

I'm not worried about my driving, I worry about the drunk next to, or near, me. I anchor them to the frame, either directly or via an added cress-member, depending on body style. If anchored to the muffler they only quiet the injuries a little bit! -
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #22
31a

I have SB in most of my A,s feel safer with grandkids and myself whatever floats your boat
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #23
Lona

For those who think seat belts in an A are useless, try this. Sit in the front passenger seat with someone else driving. The driver is told beforehand to slam on the brakes unexpectedly at only 15-20 mph. If the brakes are adjusted properly as they should be, you, as the passenger, will slide off the seat, your knees will hit the gas tank, your torso will bend at the waist and your face will crash into the front windshield or dash rail. Same thing would probably happen at 10 mph. Then come back and tell us full belts in an A are useless.

Glen, a die hard proponent of both lap and shoulder belts in our Model A cars.
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #24
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Jumped in the Model A supercab truck to go to the grocery store, put on the seat belt and I was reminded that a number of posters here take the attitude that belts are worthless in an A. To some extent, I agree. However, the act of buckling a seat belt is a long time habit that should never be put aside. Why ignore that habit in a Model A when you would never forget to buckle up in a late model?

Agreed. Took my cousin's grandkids for a ride in one of my non-Ford pre-WWII cars. They were elementary school age and quite concerned there were no seat belts. Good to know they had been well trained.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #25
Synchro909

There have not been many arguments put forward here as to WHY we should or shouldn't wear belts but I remember the arguments that raged back and forth back when they were about to become compulsory. I now wonder how many of those opposed have been saved by wearing their belts since and would they not put them on every time they get into a car.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:06 PM   #26
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Agreed. Took my cousin's grandkids for a ride in one of my non-Ford pre-WWII cars. They were elementary school age and quite concerned there were no seat belts. Good to know they had been well trained.
heh yea, my friends kids (age 2 and 4) were highly concerned i didnt put the seatbelt on when riding in his side by side down a private road at 10-15mph. I put it on to set a good example I always wear it when in a car and feel extremely weird when i dont.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:40 PM   #27
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lona View Post
For those who think seat belts in an A are useless, try this. Sit in the front passenger seat with someone else driving. The driver is told beforehand to slam on the brakes unexpectedly at only 15-20 mph. If the brakes are adjusted properly as they should be, you, as the passenger, will slide off the seat, your knees will hit the gas tank, your torso will bend at the waist and your face will crash into the front windshield or dash rail. Same thing would probably happen at 10 mph. Then come back and tell us full belts in an A are useless.

Glen, a die hard proponent of both lap and shoulder belts in our Model A cars.
Amen!
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:47 PM   #28
Licensed to kill

Curious, why would anyone care what someone else chooses regarding wearing a seat belt or not in a model A?.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:28 PM   #29
Jeff P. / MN

One has a lot better chance of surviving a crash if one stays inside the car. Most accidents resulting in fatalities are because of victims coming out of the car. Seat belt keep you in the car. ‘Nuff said......
1948 Chrysler New Yorker
Jeff P. / MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:18 PM   #30
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Curious, why would anyone care what someone else chooses regarding wearing a seat belt or not in a model A?.
Why? Because I have an interest in the well being of others. It's not all about me!
Old 07-23-2018, 11:16 PM   #31
holdover

Interesting, discussion, especially confused by this statement "A might help in a few circumstances but is outright dangerous in many more." To each their own, although a Model A does not have the same safety structure of a modern vehicle, my bet is with seat belts.. Also in 50 years as fire and rescue, I have yet to cut a dead person out of a seat belt.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #32
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Why? Because I have an interest in the well being of others. It's not all about me!
I get that as far as stating your opinion and, perhaps the logic behind it. However, I was talking more about people that, after giving their thoughts (for OR against) feel compelled to argue their point. Then it becomes more "I AM RIGHT, YOU ARE WRONG" than "I am just interested in your well being".
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:58 PM   #33
Don S

Any one installed shoulder style seat belts in a model a coupe.? I have lap belts anchored to a 2x2 iron angle bolted to the frame on both sides, but I would like to upgrade if possible . Pictures would be great, thanks.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #34
Cornishman

There’s a lot of hot air being spouted. My real concern is that some people believe that fitting seatbelts can only be good and expect them to act like the combined safety features of modern cars. That will never happen. As I keep on saying I am totally against belting myself into a Model A using Heath Robinson type technology. I will always drive my A belt free and drive it in a manner where I know and understand that I am driving a car with no crash protection. Look at a slow motion replay of a frontal collision in a modern car and then consider what exactly your Mickey Mouse seatbelt is actually going to do when you consider that a Model A does not have crumple zones, a collapsible steering column, a safety steering wheel... I would have thought that anyone who genuinely works in Fire and Rescue should be more aware of that than anybody else.
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:41 PM   #35
Al 29Tudor

Definitely seat belts !!!!

Additional injuries happen after ejection from the vehicle.

Buckling up is good example to set for our grand kids.
AL
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:43 PM   #36
denis4x4

My original post: However, the act of buckling a seat belt is a long time habit that should never be put aside. Why ignore that habit in a Model A when you would never forget to buckle up in a late model? It was simply an observation.

However, based on Cornishman's post: There’s a lot of hot air being spouted. My real concern is that some people believe that fitting seatbelts can only be good and expect them to act like the combined safety features of modern cars. That will never happen.

So I guess that we will die sooner or later whether we use seat belts in our A's or not.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:05 PM   #37
updraught

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1152731

This is where the compulsory wearing of seat belts began in 1970. There weren't many other safety features then.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:12 PM   #38
holdover

In response to the above about some one who genuinely works in fire and rescue. Yes I do understand the structure of a model A as opposed to a modern car, but do you actually think it is safer for your chest to strike the steering wheel with full force rather than be some what restrained by a seat belt that is mounted to the frame, and how about a face plant into the windshield, or being thrown out and maybe rolled over by your vehicle or another one. I firmly believe that the grand-kids are much safer belted in a Model A rear seat than not. Also seat belts appeared in the early 60s in all vehicles which did not have all the safety devices we have today, but immediately the fatality rate from accidents fell sharply, from those of cars not equipped, in my experience both in Metro NY and Rural VA. BTW I lost count many , many years ago how many people I put in a body bag that had been thrown out of their vehicle.

The deal here is none of us want to be in an accident while in a Model A, because there will most likely be injuries, maybe if it happens the seat belt will reduce the severity of those injuries, just a bit of insurance.

It would seem that we will never agree on this point, but that is OK, I wish you all the best.

Last edited by holdover; 07-24-2018 at 09:23 PM.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:16 PM   #39
Pete

["Quote It would seem that we will never agree on this point, but that is OK, I wish you all the best. Quote"]

Just remember, it all works out in the end. The gene pool is self cleaning.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:01 AM   #40
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
["Quote It would seem that we will never agree on this point, but that is OK, I wish you all the best. Quote"]

Just remember, it all works out in the end. The gene pool is self cleaning.
True, but as someone once observed, some people's gene pool should have been chlorinated!