Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
johnny

Default t 5 tranmission

is there a kit one can get to add a T5 transmission to a Model A? or is it done?
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:36 PM   #2
aford193031

Default Re: t 5 tranmission

Yes, some people is running a T5. Not sure who has the kits/parts but I am sure that someone will pop up with the answer.
aford193031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:17 AM   #3
Bruce of MN

Haven't tried any of these

https://www.dan4banger.com/products.html

https://www.lainefamily.com/ModelAFiles/ModelAT5.htm

https://valleymachineshop.com/model-a-parts.html
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:27 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

The two or three things to be aware of about this conversion is;

One of the 4 structural crossmembers of the frame is severely compromised to make this modification. Granted, this crossmember can be modified to add the rigidity back to the member however most people do not do this. The stock Model-A frame is considered weak by design to begin with, and when one of them is cut removing much of the strength, it really is not a good thing.

Second, when the stock 'torque tube' is removed from the driveline, most do not realize the compromise that is made. Not only does this tube "push" the vehicle as it transfers the forward motion of the vehicle from the rear axle up to the back of the transmission, -it also counteracts the rotational torque caused as the rear axle transfers the power to the rear wheels/tires. Without the torque tube to transfer this energy, it is left to the small radius rods. Many of these conversions have failed using unmodified radius rods.

The third thing to be aware of is there is a potential of a clutch chatter and/or vibration caused by the clutch disc alignment. The reason is because there is an adapter that is used to lengthen the front end of the transmission input shaft. I believe that some of these either had a poorly made adapter, -or the transmission input shaft was not within specs which allowed the clutch disc to not remain centered in the plane of the flywheel and transmission. This I feel is another poor design of this modification.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:37 AM   #5
johnny

thanks for all the great information I suggest adding a T5 to a Model A is not the greatest idea.johnny
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
thanks for all the great information I suggest adding a T5 to a Model A is not the greatest idea.johnny
I don't know if I would say it is a "bad idea", ...its more about most of them are poorly executed using an inferior designed kit. If the frame is properly braced with a K-member, then hacking on the center crossmember is probably not a big deal. If the radius rods are rebuilt/fabricated to act as trailing-arms instead of braces, this helps tremendously. Personally, I think that using the better thought-out kit such as the clutch housing that Vintage Precision out in California offers is much better. Even using their kit finds quite a bit of work and expense.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:36 AM   #7
Bob Bidonde

A Mitchell Model "A" transmission fitted with syncromesh gears is a simpler to install than a T5.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:38 AM   #8
denis4x4

I've been running a T-5 for 10 years with none of the issues described by Brent. First off, before cutting the cross member, we made a piece that reinforced the cross member AFTER the cut using 8 grade 5 bolts to hold it in place. The rear radius rods were reinforced using 1' X 1/4" mild steel straps welded the length of the rods on the seam. Do a search over on the Jalopy Journal (same owner as the Fordbarn) and do a search on the subject. There is info there on using a Jeep T-5 and retaining the torque tune.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:05 PM   #9
Jim Brierley

I've been running a T-5 in my Vicky for a few years, including some hill climbs. The Vicky has a Rutherford OHV conversion, so puts out some horsepower. I use an open drive line and an 8" rear end with coil-overs, so I have none of the above problems. The reason for me chiming in is that the T-5 is the best and easiest shifting option for the Model A that I have ever driven. I have driven Mitchel's, I have a speedster with a '39 V8 trans and a '31 wide-bed with Zephyr gears, the T-5 is the best of them all!!! miller hi-speed sells an adapter so you can retain the torque-yube.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #10
rotorwrench

The T5 has been successfully adapted for torque tube drive but the one thing that can't be easily changed is the location of the shifter. This is the reason that the Tremec/Ford T170 RTS was popular for a while. At least it had the shifter close to where it once was plus it too can be adapted for torque tube drive.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #11
Jim Baskin III Pa.

I have a T5 in a 30 pickup and it is a wonderful match for the Model A engine. Also have a 30 Tudor with a stock drive train. Love both equally.
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:25 PM   #12
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
is there a kit one can get to add a T5 transmission to a Model A? or is it done?
To answer your questions simply, yes and yes.
Before you do anything, it is best to do some research on what is available for gear ratios and will a certain gear set satisfy you for your style and use of driving. Your engine horsepower needs to be figured in the final decision also.
You need to figure out what YOU alone need. Asking other people will get you as many answers as people.
There are probably at least 20 different stock OEM gear sets available and a few aftermarket ones also. Any transmission you buy could have any one of these. Some are really miserable to drive. The ID tags are not always accurate for ID either. Gear sets can be mixed also for special needs. There are certain modifications that can greatly prolong the life of the transmission and the ease of shifting also.
There are several ways to do the conversion. None are easy unless you pay to have it done.
The simplest way is to have the transmission converted to torque tube output.
This retains the stock rear end and brakes if need be.
There are ways to do it with NO modifications to the transmission also.

Again, to repeat, if you don't get the gear ratios right FOR YOU, you are not going to like driving it.

If you get it right, driving will be the most fun you can have in a car with your clothes on.
Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:36 PM   #13
McMimmcs

What will the main advantage be ? Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:46 PM   #14
johnneilson

Main advantage is a full syncro modern gearbox with quieter helical gears.
Overdrive is part of the gearbox, no extra levers, switches or pull thingys.
Kind of like having the overdrive as a part of an engineered system instead of an afterthought.
Much easier to drive especially in traffic.

I know it is hard to tell, but I like mine.........
Old 10-17-2020, 06:40 AM   #15
brokenspoke

there is a T5 from a S10 4x4 for sale on the HAMB....perfect for model a
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:57 AM   #16
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The T5 has been successfully adapted for torque tube drive but the one thing that can't be easily changed is the location of the shifter. This is the reason that the Tremec/Ford T170 RTS was popular for a while. At least it had the shifter close to where it once was plus it too can be adapted for torque tube drive.
Where does the shifter come out, vs the original?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:50 PM   #17
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
Where does the shifter come out, vs the original?
Approximately 3 inches rearward.
Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:58 PM   #18
Mulletwagon

Pretty interesting discussion. Seems there are clearly technical benefits to the mod. Is there a philosophical element to be considered ? Most agree that safety belts, turn signals, and electrical mods are allowable without overly impacting originality. Is a major mod like a modern trans or even an engine crossing the originality rubicon which makes one's ride a Model A on the outside but not on the inside ? Is the value increased to some while decreased for others ? Everyone knows what is best for them and no criticism is intended to those to choose to mod or not to mod. Just curious if the old heads have any thoughts on the originality factor. As for me, I think the whinning and grinding and double clutching of an original trans if just part of the Model A charm.. Watcha think ?
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:14 AM   #19
CarlG

Then there is Bling.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:31 AM   #20
old31

Mullet, yes the whinning and grinding and double clutching of an original trans is just part of the Model A charm..

But, there is enough of the model a charm that you don't have to put up with the whinning and grinding and double clutching of an original trans and get moving as quickly as modern day traffic in town and the highway and stay saffer.

I have a F150 trans and love it. The only thing that might be better would be a 5 speed.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote