Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #21
Bob Bidonde

Default Re: Did you read the blog about the issues with the Judging Standards

My thought!
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...f&action=click
Old 12-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #22
Corley

I have to say that the OP is most certainly either interpreting the blog post very differently than I did when I read it, or is perhaps not open to "restoration" differences. Either way, what I read was that A) The RG & JS simply are not correct with regard to vehicles assembled in some parts of the world, and B) The poster wishes people would accept that his car is not restored to judging standards, and stop throwing purist views at him.

I gotta agree with the blog poster on both points. My views match his views on both points. I think his blog post can be summarized as; He really just hates having purism thrown up at him at every turn, especially when in his case it may be wrong for his Australia built toy. I agree.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #23
jw hash

Well said Bill & Gary. the guidelines are especially good for the novice how wants to know how to put together a Model A. it sure help to identify correct parts. Jw
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #24
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
I have to say that the OP is most certainly either interpreting the blog post very differently than I did when I read it, or is perhaps not open to "restoration" differences. Either way, what I read was that A) The RG & JS simply are not correct with regard to vehicles assembled in some parts of the world, and B) The poster wishes people would accept that his car is not restored to judging standards, and stop throwing purist views at him.

I gotta agree with the blog poster on both points. My views match his views on both points. I think his blog post can be summarized as; He really just hates having purism thrown up at him at every turn, especially when in his case it may be wrong for his Australia built toy. I agree.
In other words, using the Judging Standards as a weapon doesn't do much to make friends and advance the hobby.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #25
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:

That makes total sense to me. As I stated above, many people --like him, come asking what is correct for their car, -and likely many that responded, they likely did not realize his car is Aussie assembled, ...but on the other hand it was him that was seeking to know what is correct. At that point, a form of purism is what he was asking for.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
In other words, using the Judging Standards as a weapon doesn't do much to make friends and advance the hobby.

That is a great analogy Dick. And as I stated above, there are many on social media (-and even a couple here) that like to respond to someone's question however they do not know the correct answer, so to sound knowledgable they give the answer of "Check in the Standards." ...or "You really need to purchase a copy of the Judging Standards!". Yeah, that probably comes across in a non-friendly manner.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-11-2018, 12:17 PM   #27
30 Closed Cab PU

From Brent's postings, seems Brent knew more to the story than what the blogger had in his blog, so I can also understand Brent's original view.

Having experienced this myself, I balance the naysayers with people who like my truck. When I 1st stuck on 16s that my father had put on it and had my wheels painted a not quite correct yellow, I heard through the grapevine a few club members (not my current club) who helped me get it running at the time thought I had "ruined it". I got a kick out of it since they were judging me/the truck on their narrow views when my goal is to keep it close to as my father had it, in remembrance of him as a family heirloom.

I can see it getting old, getting cornered with unasked for opinions. It depends on how you present your opinion to someone. Instead of "telling" someone they are wrong, ask why they decided to do it, and have a respectful conversation realizing you may not agree with each other.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #28
Ted Duke

I always thought the forum was a place to ask questions, maybe not? I always thought folks would respond with useful information to help the questioner, apparently not? I don't ask many questions, use the JUDGING standards although I have no intention of having my car judged. I have never understood the reply "use the STANDARDS". Why have a forum? to complain that the old car hobby is dying? Fortunately I belong to a great local club with great people who answer questions and even offer advice they thing might be helpful.

P.S. IMHO If everyone had to RESTORE (whatever that means) to the "perfect" Model A there would be few Model A's left. The average person doesn't have the time, facilities or talent to do it all themselves OR the funds to pay a professional to do it for them.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #29
rosenkranswa

I've read variations on this blog from most of the hobby forums I follow. IMO they're all just too sensitive about what they're posting coupled with the inability of social media to replace the old conversation between two people. The conversation, the dialog, is what's important, not who's right and who's wrong.

I prefer to keep my vehicles as correct as possible, but I don't do show cars. So I have the RG&JS next to my Les Andrews texts. The only thing that really bother's me is the hot rodder who's car is less than 10% Model A, but is registered and shown as a 1930 Model A coupe.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #30
Corley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
Gee Dick, you managed to summarize my summary down to one absolutely accurate sentence. Good on you!

And with it put so succinctly, it is really something to think about. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #31
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
I always thought the forum was a place to ask questions, maybe not? I always thought folks would respond with useful information to help the questioner, apparently not? I don't ask many questions, use the JUDGING standards although I have no intention of having my car judged. I have never understood the reply "use the STANDARDS". Why have a forum? to complain that the old car hobby is dying? Fortunately I belong to a great local club with great people who answer questions and even offer advice they thing might be helpful.

P.S. IMHO If everyone had to RESTORE (whatever that means) to the "perfect" Model A there would be few Model A's left. The average person doesn't have the time, facilities or talent to do it all themselves OR the funds to pay a professional to do it for them.

Ted, this forum has definitely been thru an evolution. I was a member shortly after Gus invented it, -then after Pete bought it, -then when Shelly got it, and now Ryan. It used to be during the beginning that folks only posted an answer when they KNEW the proper answer. If someone chimed in with an opinion, there were more than several (-who are no longer here) that would quickly correct you and then seemingly throw-out 10 pages of documentation to prove you were wrong. What seemingly has changed is there was tremendous respect for those who provided advice by which they had personally obtained. With the focus changing from discussing originality to anything Model-A, many of the knowledgeable ones have left and many that post now do not speak from first-hand experience, --but mostly about what they have read others doing.

Now where this gets wild, is when you follow these social media sites catering to Model-As, there are so many answers posted, that it is difficult at best to keep up with, ...and then it is posters who just blurt out random answers whether there is validity to their answer or not. While I was not directly involved in any of Mr. Blanchard's dialogue, I did follow along as he was asking questions. IIRC, the turning point was that he was asking about the hood louvres being pinstriped and there was a discussion about if it was correct when some folks pointed him to the JS and told him to read about it there.

Ironically, when Bill Underwood made the post asking about the age of Model-A owners, and Dick made the follow-up about the synopsis of the future, it would appear to me the bigger struggle will not be about whether anyone will have any interest in purchasing our beloved Model-As in the future, ...but instead it seems it will be more difficult to find folks interested in the preservation of an authentic-looking Model-A, or purchasing a properly restored one. Ironically, clubs like AACA don't seem to struggle with this as a whole.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #32
CarlG

The correct name of the publication is Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standards. RG&JS, not JS&RG as so often referred to.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #33
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
The correct name of the publication is Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standards. RG&JS, not JS&RG as so often referred to.
And the Guidelines has a Very Good Section on Cars & Trucks Built in Canada..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #34
jb-ob

I said earlier I thought this thread was 'Unimportant', but seems I need to explain.

Why do so many today feel the need to be 'offended' if life doesn't give them what they want and it's always someone else's responsibility to change to correct this injustice ?

If you are 'offended' by the 'Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standards' or they don't fit your car perfectly, just SEND THEM BACK !!

Imagine a new guy shows up wanting to play baseball with others. When the new guy gets his chance at bat, he blasts one out to center field. Now instead of running for first base he goes up left, touches third base, turns and dashes back to home plate.

Now he demands to be awarded with a home run !

'Well those aren't the rules we play by'

'Yeah, Well your rules aren't fair, I'm offended, AND I demand you change them to my rules"

Now this argument disrupts the game for everyone so the new guy is tossed from the field ( banned from the Model A Face Book page).

The new guy now in the parking lot (web) and not getting what he wants, he organizes a 'pity party' blog to cry to everyone who will listen about how unfairly he was treated.

Brent, see you in Oshkosh.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:51 PM   #35
Tom Wesenberg

JB, you are using logic, and that's not fair. Now I'm offended. LOL
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #36
Corley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-ob View Post
I said earlier I thought this thread was 'Unimportant', but seems I need to explain.

Why do so many today feel the need to be 'offended' if life doesn't give them what they want and it's always someone else's responsibility to change to correct this injustice ?

If you are 'offended' by the 'Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standards' or they don't fit your car perfectly, just SEND THEM BACK !!

Imagine a new guy shows up wanting to play baseball with others. When the new guy gets his chance at bat, he blasts one out to center field. Now instead of running for first base he goes up left, touches third base, turns and dashes back to home plate.

Now he demands to be awarded with a home run !

'Well those aren't the rules we play by'

'Yeah, Well your rules aren't fair, I'm offended, AND I demand you change them to my rules"

Now this argument disrupts the game for everyone so the new guy is tossed from the field ( banned from the Model A Face Book page).

The new guy now in the parking lot (web) and not getting what he wants, he organizes a 'pity party' blog to cry to everyone who will listen about how unfairly he was treated.

Brent, see you in Oshkosh.
Why should your rules apply to everyone else's game?

Maybe we will get along better if people stop trying to apply your baseball rules to my basketball game. Both games use a ball (the model A), but not in the same way.

(I've been to Oshkosh, didn't like anything but the EEA flyin and museum. :~) )
Old 12-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #37
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenkranswa View Post
The only thing that really bother's me is the hot rodder who's car is less than 10% Model A, but is registered and shown as a 1930 Model A coupe.
Don't get me started on that!! That's a whole different subject and one of my pet peeves.

In this picture, the purple coupe with the blown SBC next to my Town Sedan won the "Oldest Car Trophy" in this show. I think the body was registered to be a '28.

I'll admit my car isn't original but I try to make it look original and I do use the RG & JS to help. Any modifications are "Bolt ons" and can be returned to original. Most are safety items.

I have never been told that my car had to be original but some people have pointed out some things that are not original. Some idiot at a Christmas Parade the other day actually pointed out my GPS wasn't...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 12-11-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #38
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:

Maybe we will get along better if people stop trying to apply your baseball rules to my basketball game.
I think I'll start making a book of Corleyisms.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:11 PM   #39
jb-ob

Because Corley IF it's my sand box, I make the rules.

If you offended, TB .
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:10 AM   #40
Roadster62

Will parts sell for more money if you ID their date of use using the Judging Standards? Would this info justify the expense of buying the Judging Standards? Bob