Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
wbs

Default front fenders

hello--should i expect corresponding area of right and left to be same-1928 phaeton? i made templates using exact landmarks such as headlight bar holes.i'm pretty sure these are original fenders and tghe discrepant areas are not due to collision. the differences are not small sometimes as much as 1'' in the arch of the curves. thanks
wbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: front fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbs View Post
hello--should i expect corresponding area of right and left to be same-1928 phaeton? i made templates using exact landmarks such as headlight bar holes.i'm pretty sure these are original fenders and tghe discrepant areas are not due to collision. the differences are not small sometimes as much as 1'' in the arch of the curves. thanks

Without seeing specifically, I suspect you are seeing the differences between the early 1928 fender (which was used throughout all of 1928) and the revised fender that was introduced in the middle of '28 and was throughout the remainder of '28 and all of '29.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
John Duden

If your fender bracket is bent a little it can distort the fender, also if there is bondo under the paint it can show the high and low spots in the light, this is why when sanding panels and curves a flat surface must be used so it is all the same shape
John
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Without seeing specifically, I suspect you are seeing the differences between the early 1928 fender (which was used throughout all of 1928) and the revised fender that was introduced in the middle of '28 and was throughout the remainder of '28 and all of '29.

Yes it's amazing how many cars have 1 of each year front fender on them, mine included.
Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:51 PM   #5
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manager View Post
Yes it's amazing how many cars have 1 of each year front fender on them, mine included.
I once owned a 1928 Sport Coupe and it had one V-Early rear fender & one of the of the newer style..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I once owned a 1928 Sport Coupe and it had one V-Early rear fender & one of the of the newer style..
Do you think any came from the factory mismatched or just came from being replaced over the years? I remember when I was a kid a black 28 tourer with 1 off each front fenders and the owner swore it came from the factory like that.
Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Do you think any came from the factory mismatched or just came from being replaced over the years? I remember when I was a kid a black 28 tourer with 1 off each front fenders and the owner swore it came from the factory like that.
Hi, Yes, they came that way, they just used up all before starting with the new style & for a while it was a mix of old & new.. And it varied from factory to factory when the old was used up..
Old 02-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #8
wbs

thanks to all- do i understand what many are saying is that fender shapes changed within a years time and it is possible or even common to get the different curved fenders from right to left on the same car? i looked in mac's catalog and they only had one style of fender for all of 28 and 29, and another style for 30 and 31, so i had wondered if i got a 28 right and 31 left . it looks like mac's should offer early 28 and 28 late. thanks again
Old 02-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #9
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
thanks to all- do i understand what many are saying is that fender shapes changed within a years time and it is possible or even common to get the different curved fenders from right to left on the same car? i looked in mac's catalog and they only had one style of fender for all of 28 and 29, and another style for 30 and 31, so i had wondered if i got a 28 right and 31 left . it looks like mac's should offer early 28 and 28 late. thanks again
There is not enough call to make all the different little & large changes that were made in different years.. So one kind fits all.. "REPRODUCTION"
Old 02-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #10
d.j. moordigian

You know we can all speculate,...what we need is photos...
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #11
Hoogah

Quote:
Mine too.
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:09 PM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:

Well, it comes down to economics and logistics. Several years ago when I was researching fenders, I found something like seven different 1928 thru 1929 front fenders (per side) and five different 1930-31 front fenders including Service Replacements. So this begs the question are you expecting the manufacturer (-not Macs!!) to provide 7 different left front fenders and 7 different right front fenders just so you will have the correct one? Hopefully you see my point.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 02-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #13
wbs

thanks for reply-no i don't expect mac's to have up to 7 fenders offered but they should fore-warn the buyer so that an amateur like me is not surprised or even thinks he got a poor quality repro--they kind of warn you by telling the buyer to check the fit out before painting and thereby voiding a return- i thank all who replied, i had no idea
Old 02-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

The 1928 fender differences are shown in the Judging Standards, and this is where the fender curves as it goes down and in by the hood. It sounds like where you measure the fender difference in curve is near the top of the fender. Could this be a difference such as a bend by a heavy person sitting on the fender?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:22 PM   #15
wbs

thank you mr wesenberg and bret , john and others [too many to name]for your interest and for this and past many responses- i will take a photo of the discrepency in the next few days and send it-i've got to borrow a camera. it does not look like the discrepancy was caused by any trauma to the fender.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:49 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
No, I do not believe they would be mismatched from the factory any more then maybe one. It seems to be assumed that Ford just made parts with no idea on how many were on the floor and just started making one side revised and still making the other side original.

They were right on the money when they produced parts and sent them to the assembly line. By looking at assemble line photos they used a first in, first out method. There is no way I can see that mis-matched parts outside of maybe one would have happened.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #17
eagle

Quote:
thanks for reply-no i don't expect mac's to have up to 7 fenders offered but they should fore-warn the buyer so that an amateur like me is not surprised or even thinks he got a poor quality repro--they kind of warn you by telling the buyer to check the fit out before painting and thereby voiding a return- i thank all who replied, i had no idea
From what I've heard, the repro fenders aren't good enough quality to match ANY originals. Haven't tried one myself, but there is a lot of info on the threads here about the repro fenders.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
From what I've heard, the repro fenders aren't good enough quality to match ANY originals. Haven't tried one myself, but there is a lot of info on the threads here about the repro fenders.
Well Yes & No. I have used a reproduction fender in fine-point judging and it passed without deduction --HOWEVER I did my homework first and educated myself on the differences. I then made the necessary corrections.

I realize the O/P complained that he feels this information should be made by the vendor however for me, I choose to take the attitude that I am the only one who can make the decision on how "authentic looking" it needs to be. What may have been adequate information to one person is not enough for another.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com