Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
barkleydave

Default Model A V.I.N.

I have a question:

I know the engine number is used as the car number on Titles.

Here is the concern.

1. The number was also stamped on the frame however the body covers this number and often the frame is corroded so you could not read it even if you could see it.

In Kentucky:
The Sheriff is required to inspect all cars coming into the state and obtaining Kentucky vehicle titles.

So.... If your title has the engine number on your out of state title and you have changed the engine the number on engine will not match the number on the title.

Mine is fine with an out of state title where the number matches however; I would like too put this original engine number on the firewall so if the block is changed in the future the number is still on the car which matches the title.

Does anyone make a tag I can stamp the number on and attaché to firewall?

I see where you can purchase a body tag for a Briggs body. Is the 29 closed cab a Briggs?

Thanks

Barkleydave
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
texas webb

Default Re: Model A V.I.N.

I would ask your DMV about that so as to have problems in future.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
mccsix

I believe some states issue a state ID tag.

USN
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
BudP

I asked that question to the VA DMV. I got back a very long email that essentially states an engine replacement makes the vehicle a "reconstructed" vehicle requiring a new inspection and the state assigning a VIN. When I went through this process years ago for a kit car, it was the same process with the state inspector riveting a metal VIN plate into the passenger door sill. The VA DMV email is too long to repeat here but for anyone interested, PM me and I will forward it to you. If I were to enter this process again for a Model A, I would first go to my local AAA office and ask for advice. There are also some other approaches to this unnecessary (in my opinion) problem.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
CarlG

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83834
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
ronn

I have tags if you need one-they are also sold on the bay.
you stamp...........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #7
Charlie Stephens

Ask your local DMV!!! Aside from the problems you would have with them if I was buying a car with a home made VIN plate I would be very suspicious. If I was a peace officer that stopped you I would be very suspicious. In both cases I would dig further. The body tags are just that, a tag to identify the body and not intended to be used as a VIN. They were only installed on bodies not made by at the Ford plant. In California, at least it used to be, if you brought in a vehicle to register with paperwork matching the engine they would install a plate on thee door with their own assigned number. In case you missed it earlier, call your local DMV!!!

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Look up on the MAFCA and MARC national Model A sites for clubs in Kentucky and get the information you need right from those in your state. We have idea's on how it can be done and even how we did it in our state but the best way is to speak with a Model A owner in your state in my opinion.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post

If you use this option, I would do your own stamping or have someone with number stamp do it so you can get it to look the way you want it to look. Been there and done that and found my advise would be the best.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
If you use this option, I would do your own stamping or have someone with number stamp do it so you can get it to look the way you want it to look. Been there and done that and found my advise would be the best.
Agree 100%
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #11
mshmodela

Interesting question, my Model A does not have the original engine but the S/N matches my title. Now if I replace my engine some day, I'd likely have to hang on to the block that matches the titles... The final solution is true VIN-less cars like all Model A are to get state issued VIN as discribed above.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #12
Dodge

A lot of times when the engine is rebuilt or changed the number pad is machined and
the original frame number stamped back on the motor.
Also when I restored my car I took pictures of the frame number and a tracing or rubbing
of the number then used a 48-53 ford truck patent plate that has a space for the i.d.
number and stamped it there also. It fits right where the Model A patent plate goes
you just have to punch the holes where the Model A holes are or add two more holes
in the fire wall for the lower holes.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #13
CWPASADENA

When I restored my Tudor, I stamped the original VIN on the top flange of the frame next to the battery. On most Ford bodied cars with all steel sub rails, there is an area of the top flange of the frame next to the battery that that is visible when you remove the floor board. I used original style stamps and used a star stamp at the beginning and end, just like the original ford stamping.

This way, if DMV wants to see the frame number, I can remove the floor board and show it to them. Most of the time, they do not know on a Model A, the original stamping is covered by the body.

I also have a B Engine in the car and it seems to also have the original VIN stamped on it

Before I installed the body, I also took pictures of the original stampings and even had a friend who does DMV verification and title work verify the original frame numbers.

I feel for the guy who buys a car out of state and has to lift the body to have the numbers verified.

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:53 PM   #14
darrylkmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post

I also have a B Engine in the car and it seems to also have the original VIN stamped on it

Chris
Model B engine blocks were not originally stamped from the Factory. Beginning in 1932 the number was stamped onto the frame at the left front fender and on the Upper Flywheel housing.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:05 AM   #15
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylkmc View Post
Model B engine blocks were not originally stamped from the Factory. Beginning in 1932 the number was stamped onto the frame at the left front fender and on the Upper Flywheel housing.

Darryl in Fairbanks
Maybe I was not clear.

My B block did not have numbers on it when I started with the rebuild BUT for some reason when I was ready to install it in the chassis, it had the same VIN as the original VIN of my Model A.

I did this because if I was ever stopped and the officer questioned the registration as not belonging to this car, I can just raise the hood and show him the numbers on the engine match the registration.

Also, with the hood up on the drivers side, most Model A people do not catch on that it is a "B" engine. Just having a little fun.
Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:09 AM   #16
darrylkmc

Chris,

I understand, for some reason I have a Pick-Up with a B engine that also has a matching number on it.

Darryl
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote