Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #1
Chris_AAFord

Default 4:40.1 Gears in a 39 Sedan?

I was surprised to find 9/40 stamped in the rear of my 39 sedan which means it has 4:40 gears.

Any thoughts? Was that an option? More likely from a 60HP car?

Thanks for any info.

Chris
Chris_AAFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: 4:40.1 Gears in a 39 Sedan?

4.44 was a 60hp ratio
Old 04-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #3
Mart

Was the car originally a V8-60?
40/9 - 4.44 Was that a V8-60 gearset?

Either the axle has been swapped or the motor.

Was 4.44 an option on the 39s for mountainous areas?
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:46 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

The 9/40 stamped on the underside of banjo housing does not gaurentee you have 4:40:1 gears inside the housing. They were likely used with the smaller 60hp engine, but could have been changed out for another ratio if/when the 60hp was changed to a larger, higher hp FH engine.
You could remove the rear oil filler plug on the banjo housing and count teeth on ring gear to determine actual gear ratio.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:51 PM   #5
Chris_AAFord

Thanks for the info, it currently has a 8BA in it and I don’t know much about the car. It’s a standard so it’s very possible it was a 60HP car. What other indicators are there for a 60 hp car.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I think the frame numbers are different between 85 and 60s. Take a look at VanPelt's site: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ialnumbers.htm. But the rear axle could well have been changed, who knows. I don't believe there are any differences in the rear axle itself other than the gears, but not positive.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #7
scicala

Didn't original V8-60 cars have tube front axles instead of I beam style ? Or wasn't that in '39 ?

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
Didn't original V8-60 cars have tube front axles instead of I beam style ? Or wasn't that in '39 ? Sal
37s were tube axles with the 60hp, not sure of the years after that, but believe they were I-beam.

Update: per Bruce Lancaster

It was used in limited production (in the hundreds) at least 1938-40, mostly in 85's, according to the Ford production letters--see the '38-39 book from the V8 club, which contains production change orders. I assume the limited production release was just field testing of a possible alternate production method--"Well, it passed engineering, now let's see if the customers can break'em"...
They were absolutely definitely used on 85's '38-39, from both Ford records and from production line pictures of cars with them. In 1940, leftover ones were supposedly used on the few '40 60's sold--undocumented but verified from cars. I have yet to see any mention of other use on 60's or any documentation of 1937 use, but all agree that surviving Ford records are nowhere near complete. All original pictures I have seen have been on 85's...
From the numbers given in the surviving records, I would venture a flying guess that only a few hundred of the USA version actually ever existed--and I'd bet that most were grabbed from junkyards by sprint car and dragster builders long, long ago. It looks to me like the tube axle was never STANDARD for anything--it was released in very small batches mixed in with use of the regular forging. I think the letters say Rouge plant only, I guess keeping them close to Ford so engineers could check out use and problems easily.
I think overseas, a slightly different version may have been used on Model 62 Fords, British-European only v860 cars.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:27 AM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
Didn't original V8-60 cars have tube front axles instead of I beam style ? Or wasn't that in '39 ?

Sal
Jseery offered a GREAT response to this in thread #8.
Some 60hp car had tube axles, some did not.
Even deluxe cars got the tube axle on occasion.
I had one that was definitely factory installed in a '40 convertible.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:30 AM   #10
scicala

Thanks for the clarification Jseery, Kube and Bruce. Good to hear the REAL info.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:57 PM   #11
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_AAFord View Post
It’s a standard so it’s very possible it was a 60HP car. What other indicators are there for a 60 hp car.

The serial number on a V8-60 car would begin with a "54" instead of the "18" you see on the full-size flathead cars during the four years that 60 horse engines were offered. It should be stamped into the frame rail as well as appear on title/paperwork.

I own a tube axle that came out of a very original, low-mileage, single-family owned '39 Standard coupe with a V8-60. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #12
Chris_AAFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
37s were tube axles with the 60hp, not sure of the years after that, but believe they were I-beam.

Update: per Bruce Lancaster

It was used in limited production (in the hundreds) at least 1938-40, mostly in 85's, according to the Ford production letters--see the '38-39 book from the V8 club, which contains production change orders. I assume the limited production release was just field testing of a possible alternate production method--"Well, it passed engineering, now let's see if the customers can break'em"...
They were absolutely definitely used on 85's '38-39, from both Ford records and from production line pictures of cars with them. In 1940, leftover ones were supposedly used on the few '40 60's sold--undocumented but verified from cars. I have yet to see any mention of other use on 60's or any documentation of 1937 use, but all agree that surviving Ford records are nowhere near complete. All original pictures I have seen have been on 85's...
From the numbers given in the surviving records, I would venture a flying guess that only a few hundred of the USA version actually ever existed--and I'd bet that most were grabbed from junkyards by sprint car and dragster builders long, long ago. It looks to me like the tube axle was never STANDARD for anything--it was released in very small batches mixed in with use of the regular forging. I think the letters say Rouge plant only, I guess keeping them close to Ford so engineers could check out use and problems easily.
I think overseas, a slightly different version may have been used on Model 62 Fords, British-European only v860 cars.
I’m glad to see Bruce continues to answer all of my V8 ford questions
Old 04-27-2020, 05:24 PM   #13
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_AAFord View Post
I’m glad to see Bruce continues to answer all of my V8 ford questions

Bruce will always be remembered as an icon of old Ford knowledge.....and most-certainly a huge loss to our community in countless ways! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Because of his many post and willingness to share his knowledge lives on.