Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #1
robert shreveport

Default Title change

My question is: what options do I have at my future time to sell my car. It is a 31, it came with a 28 engine and titled from the 28 engine. Had the car now 15-20 yrs. and the old engine is long gone with a 36 engine in it now. No access to the old engine. If I sold to anyone on this forum I would like to be honest with all. Suggestions please!
robert shreveport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Title change

If your car was totaled how would you convince the insurance adjuster that it was the car they insured? If you were stopped by a law enforcement officer how would you convince them car on the registration he asked to see was the car in front of him? Jumping ahead to when you want to sell the car you will have an uphill battle. I would not buy a car without proper paperwork so you would have at least one less person interested in buying it. Other people would buy it but probably at a discount. I would suggest talking with your local DMV and ask how to handle the problem.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
Hoovercw

Tennessee issued me a vin on a decal. I would have preferred something a lot more permanent, but beggars cant be choosers.
Hoovercw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #4
ursus

When you talk to your DMV be very careful and present the question from the perspective of a buyer and DO NOT provide any specifics regarding the vehicle in question! I heard of one case in California where an owner was very forthcoming with the DMV and soon after he received a notice that they planned to revoke his registration. The DMV may not be your friend in a situation like this.

I have a situation like yours car but have been careful to keep the engine for which my car is registered, just in case an issue arises later.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:59 PM   #5
WHN

You hopefully have 15 to 20 years of paperwork that will confirm your ownership. You might also have the Bill of Sale or Title from the previous owner.

Get it all together and head down to your local DMV. Be humble, you should have taken care of this when the 28 engine was swapped out.

I don’t believe you will have to much to worry about. Check on line for your states engine change requirements.

There are a lot of old car owners out there in the same position your in.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

In NJ you would have to go through the process for reconstructed vehicle, showing paperwork on the origins of the components
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:04 AM   #7
fordcragar

It doesn't matter what other states do, but you need to find out what options are available to you in your state. I think that I'd talk to your licensing agency in your area. They might refer you to a police department that deals with old cars in the area.

Tell them you are thinking about buying a car similar to what you mentioned in your initial post. You could describe it like you were buying the car from yourself, just don't tell them that it is your car.

Charlie brought up a great point, what if your car was totaled. I'd take it one farther, what if it was stolen. How would you prove it was yours? I've thought about this myself, as I have a car in a similar situation.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:19 AM   #8
brokenspoke

Just go thru the steps for a new title
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:40 AM   #9
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordcragar View Post
It doesn't matter what other states do, but you need to find out what options are available to you in your state. I think that I'd talk to your licensing agency in your area. They might refer you to a police department that deals with old cars in the area.

Tell them you are thinking about buying a car similar to what you mentioned in your initial post. You could describe it like you were buying the car from yourself, just don't tell them that it is your car.

Charlie brought up a great point, what if your car was totaled. I'd take it one farther, what if it was stolen. How would you prove it was yours? I've thought about this myself, as I have a car in a similar situation.
Sign your name and date, and any other information some where on the car that only you and one of your love ones know about. Plus try to get the proper paper work.

Last edited by George Miller; 02-13-2019 at 11:59 AM.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:53 AM   #10
robert shreveport

I do have the car titled in my name since probably 15 years ago. I drove it 7-8 yrs. before not running so much. Then I had the engine rebuilt which is then when the rebuilder swapped the engines out. Are you guys with me now. Options on selling? To make things ok. Apply fo a new title, try and see if the old engine is around somewhere and get a statement from the rebuilder. Thanks
robert shreveport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:18 AM   #11
WHN

It’s not up to us. It’s up to your states DMV or what ever department is responsible for doing what has to be done to correct your paperwork.

Do you have paperwork from rebuilder? Get all your supporting documentation together.

There’s only one way to get this taken care of. The right way, and you are the only person who is in the position to get that done.

Contact you DMV. They will help you get it done.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #12
77Birdman

I would agree on the trip to the dmv but do not divulge personal information. You say you have a paper trail going back 15 yrs, I doubt that makes any difference. For all you know the car may have been stolen in 1960! I have read of just such instances. Good luck trying to get info though, in my state (MD) dmv is horrible on that front. I have title issues with one of my cars right now and they pretty much just turned there head and said 'so what'. In my case a letter was changed to a number, and a number was changed to a letter. I showed them several different pieces of evidence including factory info. as to why it could not be that way. All they said was the original issuing state must change it. That state is Maine and they do not have records for older cars. I have been tempted to contact one of the advertisers in Old Cars that say they will clean up title problems.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #13
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
I would agree on the trip to the dmv but do not divulge personal information. You say you have a paper trail going back 15 yrs, I doubt that makes any difference. For all you know the car may have been stolen in 1960! I have read of just such instances. Good luck trying to get info though, in my state (MD) dmv is horrible on that front. I have title issues with one of my cars right now and they pretty much just turned there head and said 'so what'. In my case a letter was changed to a number, and a number was changed to a letter. I showed them several different pieces of evidence including factory info. as to why it could not be that way. All they said was the original issuing state must change it. That state is Maine and they do not have records for older cars. I have been tempted to contact one of the advertisers in Old Cars that say they will clean up title problems.
Get a Bonded Title. Go on line, Maryland lists everything you need to do. It’s not a big thing, this is done quite offen.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #14
Roxo

I'm also trying the Bonded title route, truck was sold in the state of Maine and now in Illinois. All I have is a Bill of sale, last guy never got registration and plates for it. Claims to not know the name of the person he bought it from. I contacted the local club in the area no one recognizes the truck.
I got the paperwork back twice now for minor errors, been waiting for a month now to hear something.
If anyone recognizes this truck please let me know, any info could help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930-ford-model-a-snowmobile-1.jpg (41.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed (3).jpg (72.3 KB, 26 views)
Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:52 AM   #15
pj's junkers

Send a message via Yahoo to pj's junkers

Robert, You say the car was titled off the 28 motor. So I assume it is stated as a 28 Model A. The trooper who use to do the inspections retired and was fairly knowledgeable. The best way of course is the frame number--UGH! Getting an old car titled with only a bill of sale in Louisiana is not hard but you could opening a can of worms with this. Check your PM
pj's junkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #16
Bob C

I would try AAA before the DMV, AAA will work for you not against you.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #17
garyjohn

Robert, You may have a 28 frame. I would check the number on the frame and see if it matches the title number. I know it is a lot of work but it may resolve your problem. Just my thoughts. Good luck, Gary
garyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:15 PM   #18
1931 flamingo

You didn't here it here but.............re-stamp your 36 engine with the previous number. Only you will know, and I'm sure it's been done thousands of times in the past 90 years.
Paul in CT FWIW
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #19
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Get a Bonded Title. Go on line, Maryland lists everything you need to do. It’s not a big thing, this is done quite offen.
Pardon my ignorance but what would a bonded title do? Not sure what it means.
I do have a clear title in my name, problem is that where it should be an "S" someone typed a "5" and where there should be a "3" someone typed an "E". I brought this to the clerks attention, after looking into it, she said the issuing state screwed up and that's whom had to fix it, in this case Maine. I called ME and they do not have records for older cars, told me there was nothing they could do.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #20
WHN

This is not ment to be a recommendation.

Call Maryland Auto Title Company, 877-845-2368.

Explain your situation. See what they have to say.

They service most of the country.

Also go on line and Google Maryland DMV Bonded Title. I think you might be very surprised.

Bill