Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #1
30Murray

Default Andalusite Blue

I want to paint my car Andalisite blue so I took the NEW paint and finish guide to my PPG dealer to scan the colour chip. They look for the closest match to a more modern car’s colour. The only one that came up was a 2005 Mitsubishi dark grey but it was not a high percentage match. They mixed a small amount for me anyways and it actually looks pretty close to the chip in the book, but is kind of “muddy” looking, not quite what I want.

A friend has a car painted Andalusite blue, which I really like, and matched his paint to an old supply of Ditzler lacquer applied to a test card which he still has. He had it scanned and found to match 1977 Ford Midnight Blue. It is nowhere near the sample colour in the paint and finish guide, which kind of baffles me because the guide was supposed to be matched to original Ford samples. I know lacquer has changed since 1930 so perhaps that accounts for the difference, but it really is dramatically different.

I will probably try to get that shade if they can formulate it in a low VOC paint (he used DCC single stage urethane and I will have to use Shopline).

Before I commit I’m wondering if anybody else has found a match for this colour in a modern car’s paint formula? In the archives I saw that somebody found a Mercedes midnight blue that was found to match Andalusite. Any others?
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote