Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2020, 08:30 PM   #1
quik

Default No Emergency Brake

Well, I'm tackling the first problem on my 41 pickup, no emergency brake. The truck has the original brake lever in the cab, but it has a ford 8" rear. I was wondering if anyone has solved this problem before and how you did it. I found the following e-brake cables from Lokar:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Unive...th,400798.html

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lokar...ble,67521.html

To have a working e-brake for $200 and not that much work seems worth it. However I always like to hear from someone with experience before I jump.
quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:19 PM   #2
fordor41

Default Re: No Emergency Brake

On my '41 fordor with a ford 9" I also had trouble getting the E-brake to hold. something about the levers in the newer brakes matching up with the stock lever/cables. I shortened the E-brake cable from the brake handle, to move the point where the rear cables connected, farther toward the front. that solved my problem. somehow it increased the leverage
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:57 AM   #3
TJ

Years ago I bought the cables for a Vega which plugged right into the 8" backing plates. Went to the local "bone yard" and got all the connecting pieces off a wrecked Ford or Chevy and then used the stock Ford cable and hand brake to connect it all together. It worked just fine. On e-Bay you can get two universal cables for $75 and all you need is the connecting hardware from the junk yard. I have done it this way also using the stock handbrake and stock cable. Type in "Vega brake cable" on a search and you will see lots of options.

Last edited by TJ; 08-03-2020 at 09:03 AM.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #4
quik

I think I have finally made some progress on getting an e-brake on the truck. The challenge I ran into was a stock hand brake, but a 90's Ford 8" drum brake rear end. The Lokar option above was pretty pricey and it inspired me to keep looking for a solution.

After looking at the 1941 Ford pickup stock cables for the e-brake (3rd pic) I realized it operates just like an e-brake in a 1966 Mustang. So, the front cable for the 1941 Ford pickup (1st pic) will work with the hand brake lever and the rear e-brake cable from a 66' Mustang (2nd pic) should work on a 90's Ford 8" with drums. The equalizer for the 1941 Ford Pickup is probably threaded the same as the equalizer for the 1966 Mustang. If not, I'm sure I can drill and tap the Mustang equalizer to fit the threads on the front cable from the 41'.

I bought the 1966 Mustang rear e-brake cable today with an equalizer and rubber grommets for $50. It's a real sturdy unit with braided stainless steel housings on both sides. Next, I plan to buy the front e-brake cable for a 1941 Ford Pickup which should thread into the equalizer for the 66 Mustang. I'm crossing my fingers it will work, but it looks promising!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11A-2853-ALT.jpg (80.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg pbcr25_1.4277.jpg (23.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg E-brake-spread.jpg (65.5 KB, 31 views)
quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:40 PM   #5
TJ

That will work if both cables are the correct length to connect to each other. If too short it's big problem. If too long you can cut the cable coming from the rear end and purchase just the connector block from Lokar. It will hold the two rear cables with set screws and be adjustable.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:57 PM   #6
Karl Wolf

Nicopress will work to shorten cables. But, does need an expensive crimping tool.
I use the one at the yaught store.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:12 PM   #7
fordor41

I needed to crimp an end on mine. drilled a hole thru the correct size of steel stock to fit the cable , hit it with a hammer. was on the car for 20 some yrs and never slipped. used the E-brake every time I parked the car.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote