Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #1
ricconhan

Default Rumble Seat Help

Tinkering with my Roadster while waiting for other parts. My rumble seat "back" cushion isn't fastening to the lid correctly. My lid has 2 slots towards the top on either side and the back cushion has 2 tabs that slip down into these slots, there is nothing on the bottom of the cushion to attach to the lid and subsequently everytime I close the lid the bottom of the back cushion rubs on the seat cushion causing it to raise and the tabs come out of the slots, so when I open the lid next time the back cushion is laying face down on the seat cushion and I have to reattach it every time. What should be on the bottom to hold it in place. Pictures just for reference, not my car, just stolen off interweb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-08-01 18.08.53.jpg (75.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-08-01 18.09.23.jpg (75.3 KB, 92 views)
Old 08-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Rumble Seat Help

Take the back cushion out, look at the bottom frame of the cushion, there should be two "holes". Now look at the bottom of the deck lid, there should be 2 "D" nuts that take two bolts thru the 2 "holes". Install the seat as you usually do and insert the lower bolts and tighten. FWIW This is if I've remembered correctly.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:12 PM   #3
TMarsh

That is correct, but in can be a PITA. I ended up securing mine with plastic ties around spring and to rumble lid. Works great and you cant see it.
TMarsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:22 PM   #4
ricconhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMarsh View Post
That is correct, but in can be a PITA. I ended up securing mine with plastic ties around spring and to rumble lid. Works great and you cant see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Take the back cushion out, look at the bottom frame of the cushion, there should be two "holes". Now look at the bottom of the deck lid, there should be 2 "D" nuts that take two bolts thru the 2 "holes". Install the seat as you usually do and insert the lower bolts and tighten. FWIW This is if I've remembered correctly.
Paul in CT
Sounds like a job for one of my grandson's with gramp's supervising, they're a lot more limber than this o'l guy. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:31 PM   #5
ricconhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Paul in CT
Thanks a million guys, just what you said, bottom of the frame there were 2 tabs hidden behind the frame and upholstery, had to make a small cut in the upholstery to allow them to pivot out, although mine of course didn't have the D nuts, the holes were there and we didn't have the correct size D nut to crimp in them, we took 5/16 bolt and washer come in from the back side and put another washer and nut on to form basically a stud for the seat tabs to be attached to. Works great, thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMarsh View Post
Old 06-19-2022, 08:37 PM   #6
Tim Ayers

What is the size & thread of the bolts for the bottom tabs? I can't seem to figure it and don't want to strip the threads.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 10:40 PM   #7
daveymc29

I don't know rhe thread size but when I put mine in it had no bolts and fell out as yours did. I crawled in there and looked to find the holes and took a few random bolts with me, got back in and just tried a few until I had two that would screw in all the way, put a lock washer on each, then a flat washer and reassembled the seat back onto the lid. Been there a few years now and I don't find it falling out of the slots at the top anymore.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:40 AM   #8
springerpete

I had the same problem with the back rest cushion. My solution was to take bottom cushion out, put the back rest in place with the top tabs then put the bottom cushion in place with the spring clips in the holes. Lastly push the back of the bottom cushion down in place. This holds the back rest from moving. I do not use any other back rest fasteners. Mine stays fine as the rumble lid id closed.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:34 AM   #9
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
What is the size & thread of the bolts for the bottom tabs? I can't seem to figure it and don't want to strip the threads.
D nuts are #12-24. Vendors have them, hardware store too maybe.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:20 AM   #10
rich40701

Are there special clips that hold the seat bottom in place? My back is attached fine but the seat bottom moves around.
rich40701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:46 PM   #11
rich40701

Ok, so I took the seat bottom out and removed the carpet and padding and there are two holes drilled in the floor. The rumble seat bottom frame has two nibs in the from of the frame to fit down into the holes in the floor to keep it from sliding around. Is this how it was originally done?
rich40701 is offline   Reply With Quote