Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #21
rotorwrench

Default Re: Ignition switch relay

If I ever get back on my AV8 project, I'm going to set it up like an aircraft electrical system. The column drop switch will power up the battery relay. I use a big continuous duty one for high amp capability. I'll use Klixon circuit breakers for all the individual circuits set in a master electrical distribution panel. I've got a lot of that stuff around from being in the aviation business so long. The wiring will all be generic aircraft wire with numbered shrink sleeves at each end of the wire. The only color used is white PTFE insulation and the wire is silver plated. I like a nice clean heavy duty set up.

The old cloth covered wire Ford used still gives me nightmares. After about 15 years from new you can't tell what color the wire is anyway.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:25 PM   #22
FireEngineMike

Hyvolt, thanks for the pics and info. JSeery posted info on 6-volt relays awhile ago which I will use. I have a collection of info at home, but your pics help with the layout. I have a pair of taillights on each side of the panel and plan on relays for the lighting and momentary use electric fuel pump. Eventually I will rewire the front of the panel and will add relays for the headlights (on the radiator support) and siren (a much larger relay on the firewall). Expect more info/help requests. Thanks.
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:32 PM   #23
my4dv8

Just to confirm this relay wiring through the original toggle switch . On the relay terminal 87 goes to Battery + , terminal 86 from original toggle switch , terminal 30 to the solenoid, terminal 85 to earth.
We will run a push button start .
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:32 PM   #24
supereal

At our shop we use starter solenoids for relays. The are less expensive than regular relays
and will, contrary to some opinions, operate continuously. On my '47 I use them for headlights and the convertible top pump, and so far they have lasted for over twenty years. We get them from NAPA, and for 6 volts they usually have to be ordered.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:47 PM   #25
Hyvolt

Relay layout.
If you can't see it in the picture, the 30 terminal is for source. Has to do with the arc breaking in the relay. Will work if reversed, but that's from Bosch.

You may not have a 87a, it would be a normal close contact. I also always use 85 as my ground source for coil

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Hyvolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:58 PM   #26
JSeery
Member Emeritus

With this arrangement the original ignition switch is used as a grounding switch. This is ok, but all of the other functions have to be removed from the ignition switch and relocated to the fuse panel.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:18 PM   #27
Tinker

Pretty slick stuff. Guess I'm just a stock harness and 6v guy.

Always good to learn something.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:23 PM   #28
Hyvolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
With this arrangement the original ignition switch is used as a grounding switch. This is ok, but all of the other functions have to be removed from the ignition switch and relocated to the fuse panel.
True. If you wanted to use it in conjunction with the original wiring, reverse the coil connections.
Depends on what your goal is.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Hyvolt is offline   Reply With Quote