Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
redmodelt

Default Taking time to thank people or expecting people to call in regaurds to an ad

Ok so you wrote out a question, people have taken time to reply. Please take time to say thank you or if you still are having problems or that the solutions did the trick. I see a number of these happening.

If you place an ad, do not expect people just to call you. You need to watch your ad and watch your private messages. If the item has been sold, mark it so. Just because it drops out of site, look at the number of post that pulled up from years ago on the forum, does not mean people will not find it.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
jm29henry

Default Re: Taking time to thank people or expecting people to call in regaurds to an ad

Dido!!
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #3
F.M.
BANNED

Default Re: Taking time to thank people or expecting people to call in regaurds to an ad

Ok, You ask a ?? You get three different answers, who do you reply to ?? All, None, Or pick one ??..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #4
redmodelt

I don't care who you reply to or which answer to reply to just thank the people that help. True it would be nice to know what worked, but that is not the point. Many times a question is asked and there is dead air from the asker.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #5
JRrev

It grinds me when I answer a parts wanted ad and I don't get the courtesy of a response. Usually, I've spent some time checking my part(s) first so I can give details. They don't have to buy but at least get back to me. Makes me not want to waste my time trying to help (rarely a money maker).
JRrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:35 PM   #6
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
I don't care who you reply to or which answer to reply to just thank the people that help. True it would be nice to know what worked, but that is not the point. Many times a question is asked and there is dead air from the asker.
I much rather have no answer at all than have one that is not correct, I tried it, it was wrong, it cost me a lot of time and $$.. That is the point ..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #7
Railcarmover
BANNED

You only get thanked if give him the answer he's looking for..with model a fords,the appreciation of the answer is directly tied to the cost of the solution.You'll always receive praise for a 50 cent solution to a 10 dollar problem,even if it doesn't solve the problem.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
You only get thanked if give him the answer he's looking for..with model a fords,the appreciation of the answer is directly tied to the cost of the solution.You'll always receive praise for a 50 cent solution to a 10 dollar problem,even if it doesn't solve the problem.

I have found that when I offer an easy less expensive repair , they often don't figure that it will really work . Its usually not worth the effort to offer a simple fix !!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #9
midgetracer

If you expect gratitude for some advice, you will most often be disappointed. What really bothers me is when someone wants a small part and you send it free (often picking up the freight) and the recipient does not even bother to tell you that they got the part. Again expecting something is just setting yourself up to be disappointed. I still believe that generosity is a great way to participate in a forum.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #10
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
If you expect gratitude for some advice, you will most often be disappointed. What really bothers me is when someone wants a small part and you send it free (often picking up the freight) and the recipient does not even bother to tell you that they got the part. Again expecting something is just setting yourself up to be disappointed. I still believe that generosity is a great way to participate in a forum.
I second your comments/sentiments !
I differ , now, in that I no longer give away parts, where you still believe .
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Be sure to say thanks with a PM or email. It is more personal and keeps the clutter off of the board.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #12
chap52

Manners.....a fading courtesy. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #13
Purdy Swoft

I agree, some have no manners or raising !!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote