Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2017, 10:19 PM   #21
Fullraceflathead

Default Re: Buying a car 2000 away

If you refuse to go see it in person you could arrange to look at it by Facebook Live video. There still is risk but you would at least know the Car is real and you could ask specific questions about the car and they would video it per your request.
If it was me tho I'd still want to see it in person.

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:53 AM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
I have never purchased a Model A without looking at it before buying. Most people have a different over the phone rating system of condition than I do and that's the problem.
I would/do look before buying. Always!
Good Day!
I agree, especially if you get someone to help drive. It's nice to get away and see the country once in a while. My problem is I'm always in a hurry to get there and don't take time to see things.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:59 AM   #23
BILL WILLIAMSON

DO BE CAREFUL!! ! A Friend bought a NICE lookin' "ROADWORTHY" '29 Town Sedan, $2,300 & 3 months LATER, It was TRULY ROADWORTHY!
It was BEAUTIFUL, all BLACK, had 19" Wheels, but they didn't look too ODD on it. Most Folks didn't even pay attention to them.
Bill Suspicious
Old 12-29-2017, 11:46 AM   #24
dpson

I've purchased three cars on eBay from southern California and have been somewhat disappointed with two of the three. One had hidden collision damage that was not in the description or easily seen in the photos. The seller reluctantly made a price adjustment that really didn't cover the amount of the damages. If at all possible I recommend either viewing the car in person or having someone inspect it for you.
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:59 PM   #25
foxfire42

Here's the latest. I pulled the plug. Before investing in plane fare I told the seller I would arrange to have it inspected at my expense. I was thinking that was a reasonable solution and price to pay to see if it were ligit. Then I could fly out and look at it and touch it with money in hand. Well, seems that the seller wasn't open to having it inspected. Without an address where the vehicle is physically located I'll do my shopping locally. Thanks for all the great input. It's been a money saving day......................
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:50 PM   #26
Bruce Adams

foxfire42, so now that its over WHERE WAS THIS CAR?
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:33 PM   #27
denniskliesen

Both times I bought out of state cars, I flew or drove to look at them. I would never buy a car without an inspection. I know lots of people that felt confident the pictures told them the story they wanted to see or hear but ended up very disappointed
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:22 AM   #28
bikejunk

So let us say it is a 10,000 dollar car 8% of that will fly you any where in the USA and back =the old math ; )
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:39 AM   #29
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Buying a car 2000 away

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire42 View Post
I'm looking to buy a car from an Estate.

Barb
An Estate is different than an Individual.

It is a collection of property to be liquidated - the car is one of several items.

Depending on who is handling the sale - there might be little interest or time to deal with inquiries from out of the immediate area.

If you need to " kick the tires " - fly or drive and go take a look.

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:44 AM   #30
2manycars

Better safe than sorry.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #31
slammin

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire42 View Post
Here's the latest. I pulled the plug. Before investing in plane fare I told the seller I would arrange to have it inspected at my expense. I was thinking that was a reasonable solution and price to pay to see if it were ligit. Then I could fly out and look at it and touch it with money in hand. Well, seems that the seller wasn't open to having it inspected. Without an address where the vehicle is physically located I'll do my shopping locally. Thanks for all the great input. It's been a money saving day......................
You made the right decision. A seller who won't allow an inspection is a thief. Decide how far you can drive over a long weekend and limit your search to that distance. Since you are near the west coast, MAFCA has 65 chapters in Cali, 6 in Arizona and a dozen in Washington. I would start contacting some of those chapters. Let them know what you want to buy. Those groups usually know the cars that are or may be available. Happy hunting!
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #32
SSsssteamer

One problem of having a third party inspect your possible purchase. A "friend" from Olympia, we will call "Bob", I had asked him to look at an engine for sale out of Portland, Oregon. I asked Bob to help me in arriving at a price with the seller. Bob went and looked at the engine, he bought it, and then for a good profit, Bob sold it to one of my friends in Idaho. Bob never got back to me after his back door deal. My Idaho friend emailed me and asked me if he made a good deal on buying Bob's engine. Beware...
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:48 PM   #33
slammin

With friends like Bob, who needs enemies?
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #34
Purdy Swoft

I bought one sight unseen from Sullivans garage a few years ago and was well pleased with the purchase . Mark sent good pictures and the price was right . I had the car delivered from Londondary New Hampshire . I didn't see how I could go wrong . I'm a bodyman and a Purdy good shade tree mechanic . Others that had looked at the car was concerned about the engine because it hadn't run since 1963 . I had a spare running engine and wasn't really concerned . When I got the car , I was surprised to discover that it had a low milage , numbers matching engine . I overhauled the engine , welded up the bullet holes in the body and fenders and whatever else that was needed . I ended up with a Purdy good roadster that I never though I would have . I sent Mark a check for the car and thats it in my avatar .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #35
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
One problem of having a third party inspect your possible purchase. A "friend" from Olympia, we will call "Bob", I had asked him to look at an engine for sale out of Portland, Oregon. I asked Bob to help me in arriving at a price with the seller. Bob went and looked at the engine, he bought it, and then for a good profit, Bob sold it to one of my friends in Idaho. Bob never got back to me after his back door deal. My Idaho friend emailed me and asked me if he made a good deal on buying Bob's engine. Beware...

That reminds me of a 1956 Studabaker power hawk that I was going to buy in 1970 . I made the mistake of telling the guy that I worked for that when I got off , I was going to buy the car . The S.O.B bought the car before I could get off from work . I guess that it was a good thing in a way . It wasn' but a few days before I opened up Tims body shop and never looked back .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 12-30-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #36
Bill's Auto Works

Hello Barb,

Good to converse with you earlier in the week!

Sorry you did not get the car you were looking at, but if he was not open for an inspection, that would definitely send up a red flag.

Funny thing about these type of posts (& there are many) is everyone says go look at it yourself. I have transported somewhere between 2200 & 2500 vehicles in my 35 years of business & I would bet less than 10% of the people go look at the vehicle before buying it. Even most of the high end stuff (over $100,000.00) I have done dozens of those type of vehicles & can only remember a couple where the buyer saw it first.

God Bless & better luck on the next one.
Bill Squires(owner)
Bill's Auto Works
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Amb. Cust. Lemans
1957 Pontiac Chieftain 2 DR HT
1964 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 DR HT
1966 Pontiac Catalina Conv
1966 AMC Ambassador DPL 2 DR HT
1966 AMC Ambassador Cust 2DR HT
1967 AMC Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Chevy Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS 2 DR Coupe
2007 Cadillac XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Bill's Auto Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:05 PM   #37
larrys40

I agree with Marshall and Bert. I've had guys fly me somewhere to inspect what they are serious about and drop me something for my time. As Marshall said sounds like it's somewhere in the middle of the country so if that's the case maybe one of us nearby can help. Or as Steve said hop in a plane yourself if possible and make arrangements from there.
If it's significant money a personal checkout is money well spent. It will be cheaper than the disappointment of a less than stellar purchase

Larry Shepard
St. Louis area
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:46 PM   #38
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
That reminds me of a 1956 Studabaker power hawk that I was going to buy in 1970 . I made the mistake of telling the guy that I worked for that when I got off , I was going to buy the car . The S.O.B bought the car before I could get off from work . I guess that it was a good thing in a way . It wasn' but a few days before I opened up Tims body shop and never looked back .
The same thing happened to me twice by 2 different friends. They are still my friends, but I no longer tell anyone of an impending purchase.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote