Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
The Eclector

Default Owning a model T vs model A

I'm one of those rare gents who's wife loves cars. She's been going back an forth about a Model A versus a Model T. She likes an open car such as a roadster pickup or a phaeton touring car. I'm looking for some practical advice from an ownership standpoint. Specifically, what is the difference when it comes down to maintaining each and how would you rate the driving experience between an A and a T?
The Eclector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #2
tmodelman

Default Re: Owning a model T vs model A

Model T is antique auto, 1908 technology, 20 hp., magneto ignition on 4 coils, 30-35mph, 2 speed planetary trans, difficult in modern city traffic, best on country roads. Steering antiquated pinion and gears at the top of the steering column under the wheel, no service brakes on wheels, only transmission brake of fabric on band, running in oil. 30" clincher tires, wood spoke wheels. Few body styles, black color choice. Drive it like the antique it is and anticipate slowing down long in advance of stopping.

Model A, more modern antique, 40hp, 3 speed clutch trans like more ordinary autos, 4-wheel mechanical brakes, geared steering at frame, speeds at cruise to 50-55mph, can stay up with city traffic and stop fairly well. Water pump, oil pump, distributor with points, service is a bit more simple. Welded wire spoke wheels, larger tires for good grip. Many body styles and colors.
tmodelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
redmodelt

Both have their pit falls. The Model A from a maintenance stand point is much more straight forward. The T is a good car for those that like to tinker on it. That does not mean it can't be reliable it just takes a different mind set esp if car runs coils. There are the bands that need adjusting or replaced and learning to use the spark and throttle. Once you learn how the peddles work on the T it's not bad but for low you have to keep pressing the peddle down.
The T puts you in the slow lane, think 35 and under MPH, where the A 55 -60+ depending on the condition of the car. Then there are the brakes, T: transmission brake only unless rear after market outside brakes added (it has parking brakes but not that great for stopping). A; 4 wheel brakes and if in good condition should stop good.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #4
2manycars

The above post sums it up well. I sold my T and kept the A. Much more driveable, but still stay off the interstate, unless you are nuts like my brother.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #5
Sunnybrook Farm

I have driven As since the early 70s but am looking at building a T to drive off road on farm land. It looks like the original ATV to me.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #6
Dodge

The correct answer is: you need at least one of each. Two different drives, both wonderful.
I have seven T's and five Model A's been driving both for 50yrs.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:28 PM   #7
fordf1trucknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
The correct answer is: you need at least one of each.
I agree completly.....I have one each as well and couldn't imagine getting rid of either.

Last edited by fordf1trucknut; 02-10-2016 at 11:11 PM.
fordf1trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:11 AM   #8
Sundiesel

Our Model T has been in the family since 1964. Its been on the road, after a full restoration, for the past 11 years and I enjoy taking it to shows and driving it in parades etc.
BUT, if I was about to buy my first early Ford and had a choice of a T or an A, and knowing what I do now, I'd chose an A, probably a '31, over a T.
They both turn heads. They both have great spares back-up, but the A is an easier car to drive, is more conventional and is a more comfortable "club" car. Having said that I suppose my present project of building another T, contradicts the above.
Really, its down to you. Ask yourself, what do I like about each of them? Maybe make a list of the bits you like and the bits you don't like and work it out from there.
Anyway, good luck choosing, but once you've made your choice, no matter which way, you'll have a ball, because when the bug bites....it bites hard.
Cheers,
Rob
Sundiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
CharlieB

The A is what she'll go for. Especially if you can arrange with some one to have her drive or at least ride in a T. The T's a wagon with a motor in it while the A is light years closer to what's considered a car today. Not a heck of a lot safer than a T but frankly almost anythings safer than driving a T.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #10
15max

The odds are you will enjoy the Model A more. I traded off my Model A 40 years ago in favor of T's and love ever minute of it. I am in the minority though. I have seen friends get frustrated with T's when they won't go as fast. They are peculiar animals. If you buy a Model A and still have a nagging feeling you would rather have a T, then you can trade or add a T to your garage. People should not buy a Model T unless they just can't help themselves. Only then is there hope they will learn to enjoy them.
15max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #11
Jeff P. / MN

I absolutely love my '14 T, so fun to drive in safe situations therefore I usually use it for parades only. My Model A is a fun car to drive also but not like a T. When I downsize to one car someday the Model A will be the keeper.
1948 Chrysler New Yorker
Jeff P. / MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:22 AM   #12
Steve Jelf

If you don't mind a top speed of 40 mph, the T is great. I enjoy driving mine. But it's a matter of personal taste. I say do just as you would if you were shopping for a new car. Test drive both. There are lots of local clubs for both, so it shouldn't be hard finding Model T and Model A owners who would like to take you out in their cars and let you test drive them.
Steve Jelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #13
gz

I have both, but if I could only have one, it would be my Model T.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #14
Royce P

I have both, and have been in the Model A and Model T and HCCA attending events since before I could walk. If I had to have only one collector car it would be a Model T, as much due to the people as the car itself.

If you are planning to enjoy your collector car without meeting or participating in any of the events you are missing out on much of the enjoyment.
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #15
Jeff P. / MN

Reading posts from Guy and Royce I want to say that I picked the A over the T from a driving standpoint. I truly love the T, it is my all time favorite car. If I did not want to venture out of my area, # 1 would be my 1914 T.
1948 Chrysler New Yorker
Jeff P. / MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #16
rosenkranswa

We have T's, A's, and an Early V8. T is 20hp, A 40hp, V8 90 hp which I think sums up the differences, you can really see the march of progress across the years. The T is probably the most fun, but only on local roads and requires more tinkering, the A is better for most longer drives and keeping up with traffic, the V8 can hold its own in most situations in terms of speed and braking ability. All will turn heads, and all need to be driven as much as possible. Really depends on what you want to get out of it.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #17
Mark W.

I have one of each too, and agree with the earlier posts to a point. Living on the Coast of Maine is a lot different from Chicago and the rides are as advertised, which means I like the T for slow meandering weekend drives, and the A for when I want to go some distance for a meet or flea, or ???

If you are undecided and can only afford one car, I would suggest you get in touch with a local chapter of each club and go for a ride - I know several people here would give you advice but in the end it really is personal preference...
Mark W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:56 PM   #18
Model A Ron

I have both an A and T. The Model A is much easier to drive and can hold 55 if needed. For the most part it's Ford's first shot at a modern car.

The T takes a bit more time to figure out as every pedal does what you would not think and top top top safe driving speed is 40.

That said I love both however the T is by far the most fun I have had with any antique car. Its an experience that you could never get in an A as long as you can deal with life in the slow lane.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:02 AM   #19
rotorwrench

Over six years since the first post on this thread. I wonder how many folks who posted on this back in 2016 are still around.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 02:51 PM   #20
Gary loves Fords

I have a 1909 Model T (first production year) and a 1927 Model T (last production year) and a 1930 Model A deluxe phaeton. Also 6 more collector cars. The 1927 Model T is the least expensive one in my collection, but by far the most fun to drive, both on tours and in rush hour traffic on busy streets. I drove her on a tour around Michigan and covered 750 miles in 6 days and was the best tour of my life. True, not as fast as a Model A, but I was clocked in my 1909 Model T at 42 MPH, which was pushing her a little too much. The A takes much less time to get used to driving, as it is more of a conventional manual transmission and clutch. Model T's are not at all hard to drive! Just different. After 20 minuets of instruction, you will become a Model T driver. My suggestion is find someone to take your Wife for a ride and show her how to drive a Model T and then a Model A and make the choice. If you can afford it, get one of each, as both are more bang for the buck than any other antique or collector car.
Gary loves Fords is offline   Reply With Quote