Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2022, 09:55 AM   #1081
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Folks,
Hoffman glass in Eire will cut the glass for the 32 drivers window. Should be ready next week. He thought the channel would be fine. And will use some type of bedding materials that will allow it to be removed again, and will seal the water out of the lower channel.
That will give me time to get the felts and other items ordered to complete the window project.
Humm, fixing the door??
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:21 PM   #1082
sugarmaker

Folks,
A couple slow days here and now things look to be moving. Ordered the felts and window hardware from Snyder's. Enough for both doors. They really both need attention. Hey the thing is almost 90. Not sure when the birthday is. Maybe July?
Also got good news from the machine shop, the block #1 pressure tested ok at 80 psi. Number 2 cylinder which has a apparent crack will still be sleeved, and stitched to the valve seat, reducing the chance this could become a leak in the future. Should know tomorrow what main bearing sizes to order, along with the rods and new insert type rod bearings. Also should have a piston size noodled out. I have a new set of .080 over pistons and rings setting here. The thrust would be updated and the slinger removed and the crank repaired to accept new seals. All positive improvements for the well deserving ragged ol' truck!
Thanks for all the times you folks have checked in on me and supported me! Still much to do before we rest!
Hope things are good in Ford Land!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-20-2022, 06:19 PM   #1083
cas3

A good tig welder can repair those cracks without disturbing too much of the old girls hyde. Only a little touch up near the weld if he goes slow and allows cooling. Should be unnoticeable on the outside door skin. Best to take the door off, need to be comfortable to tig weld. good luck
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:56 PM   #1084
Tinker

It's been talked about with parts is to maybe drop it in a pool of evaporust or other citric oxide product (you can buy citric acid food grade acid powder also online an add water). Why molasses soaks work. Did my regulator and channels and sprayed then when dry with a flat enamel (no one is going to see it so you could use any color). Used white lithium spray when putting it together on the gear sets. Ospho is 15% phosphoric acid. A highly concentrated citric acid. Well what's used in coke-cola now days. It'll clean a penny. Check the can, Love me a good coke also.

If you are at a home depot and they have a palet of mexican cokes. Get a case. Sugar cane sugar and citrus acid. So good.

Last edited by Tinker; 01-21-2022 at 12:13 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:58 AM   #1085
tubman

It may be picking nits, but I have to state again that Evaporust is not an acid (citric or any other kind). It works by a process called chelation, and as such, will not harm ferrous metals in any way. Leave a steel part in any kind of acid for a long period and see what you get. It ain't pretty.

Last edited by tubman; 01-21-2022 at 07:30 AM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:58 AM   #1086
sugarmaker

Folks,
I like electrolysis for cleaning steel and cast parts,. Have been too lazy to set up a tank. Really need two one for small, and one for large parts. Anyway, I have not used any acids for cleaning, yea I can imagine if left for days it might damage a component.
Here is a shot of a Allis WD45 grill assembly in the Etank.
Before:

Lower half:

Then the top:

Here is what the tractor looked like when done:

Off to work on electrical in the shop and visit with the grandson as he completes the work on the electrical systems.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-21-2022, 08:32 AM   #1087
Bored&Stroked

Nice work on that tractor Chris . . . what a beauty!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:59 AM   #1088
sugarmaker

Ford Folks,
Small steps to remove the door glass on the passangers side of the 32.

Also ordered most of the engine components for the B engine #1. Planning on .080 over pistons. .030 under mains. .040 under rods. Gasket kit. and much more. We move forward slowly.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-23-2022, 09:02 AM   #1089
sugarmaker

Folks,
I have a question about the glass in the passengers side door. Here is a couple pictures: How can I tell if it is plate glass or safety glass? It has some chips around the side edges which would be in the felt areas.

I can not see any safety glass markings exposed:

If you folks can help me determine it from these pictures, my options are, if safety glass put it back in the truck. If not then take the metal off clean it up and get a new piece of glass installed. I can take this to the glass shop and have them look at it. Just means more trips into the big city. If it is not safety glass I would have it replaced also as David G had recommended earlier too.

other door items:
This is the bottom window support bracket where the rubber stop is missing. I have some new ones for model A but these 32 brackets seem to need a longer maybe slightly bigger bumper?? Down in the details on windows.

Window regulator arm poking its head out after disconnect from window bottom guide:

Old window felts

These were pretty much shot. They have mechanical clips riveted on top and bottom that hold them in place. I am considering just getting a good 3M adhesive and installing the new felts into the cleaned up channels:

I did try one of the new 32 inch long felts from Snyder's and I liked the fit and look. Also will glue on the upper soft closure on the removable top plate. These small improvements should help tighten up the truck from air and reduce noise and improve safety.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-23-2022, 09:41 AM   #1090
DavidG

It's difficult to be conclusive, but I do not perceive a seam in the glass indicating that it is three layers (two of glass over a center of plastic), which means it is either plate or tempered glass. If there are no trademarks anywhere on the glass, then in all probability it is plate glass and should be replaced with laminated safety glass.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:51 AM   #1091
sugarmaker

David, folks,
Thank you again. I think I am going to take it apart, based on your observations. Yes I agree I do not see a seam indicating three components. Good excuse to clean up the lower glass track and improve the safety too!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-23-2022, 09:18 PM   #1092
sugarmaker

Ford folks that follow this winding thread,
Here is a close up of the edge of the glass. I had John (42 Deluxe) look at it too and he did not think it was safety glass. He said the edge was not straight like it had been hand cut.

It has been separated from the frame, frame cleaned and rust conversion applied, Getting more confident in this process:

While John was here he suggested we tackle the missing lacing over the radiator shell for the hood to set on. I know this was bugging David as it was a metal to metal area that would not do either of the metal parts any good.
We riveted the metal clip to the new lacing, punched holes for the side bolts and got it in place. I chose to reverse the rivets from the back cowl lacing. The new rivets only had the two prongs.

Hood still has a little bulge at the hinge joint, but no more metal to metal!

I was glad this was completed and thankful for the help.
Thanks to Johns wife for getting some pictures of the old men working. Ok playing!

After John left I decided to tackle those dreaded drivers side door hinge pins. Yep not fun but they are loose enough I should be able to get the door off tomorrow and evaluate the repairs around the door striker area.
Heat from the heat gun, PB Blaster and gentle love taps!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 01-24-2022 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:34 PM   #1093
DavidG

Well done, Chris!
Old 01-24-2022, 01:26 AM   #1094
Tinker

Nice work on the door pin. They are not an easy thing to get out 99% of the time.

Dig the Allis. You have any thoughts on olivers?

Should have dropped that window channel in a bucket of evopo or whatever. Still will be fine for decades too. As tubman said it's not acid. Does a great job and is safe for yellow metals and plastic. Something to research in the future as a tool to put in the quiver. While you're there and it's disassembled anyways.

Nobody likes what I say so... that alternator looks like lipstick on a pig. haha. To each their own.

Last edited by Tinker; 01-24-2022 at 03:17 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:43 AM   #1095
sugarmaker

David,
Thanks, Yes this is a good addition to the fit of the hood to the radiator shell. Even if I put the rivets upside down. Just liked the finished look of the head showing. Maybe one less rattle too. Other than the rivets, they look like they have been on there a while.

Tinker,
I like some of the Olivers. The 66 size would make a good medium sized pulling tractor. Most tractors of this size are used for small jobs or are play toys on the dirt tracks. They do pull pretty good if you can get 38 inch rubber on them.

Your alternator comment is duly noted too. I see there is a add in Ford times for the conversion of a generator to a alternator. not sure what the cost would be? My guess would be $300 ish?? But that would look better in the 32 for sure. If I ever did that, I would just keep everything 12 volt and it would not be quite as obvious.

I have never tried the evapo-rust. Heard a lot about it. Most of the time I had used the electrolysis process, and or mechanical cleaning. Would love to have a blast cabinet too!

Plowed the 4 inches of light snow from the driveway with the Ford Jubilee while we waited for the bus. Rhett helped drive, making more Ford memories:

I did call the glass shop and told them to cut two door windows for me. Trying to keep things moving.

Pulled the pins and have the drivers door off. Maybe the first time its ever been off??

Now to plan the door repairs. This is going to be a welded patch that has the nuts for the door thing a ma gig. Sorry don't have all the names. (need to go look at the books). Then all the extra holes need to be filled in. Someone added a plate inside the door. I have no idea how i am going to finish. Will burn that bridge when we get there.

What the striker fit should look like when finished. It sets down in a shallow pocket.

View of passengers door.

Removed the striker to use as template in drivers. I need one of these since mine is gone. Snyder's has some from different years and different body styles. Might find one that is right size? About 1-5/8 wide, 1 inch center to center on screws.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 01-24-2022 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:48 AM   #1096
DavidG

Chris,

They are known as dovetails, with that in your photos on the doors being the male and that on the B pillar being the female (likely politically incorrect). Snyder's uses that terminology, but what they offer is the Model A version. It is close to the '32 version and the hole spacing is the same, but the tip of the front edge of the wedge portion is shorter than the '32 version whose tip extends out beyond the boundary of the base. Notwithstanding, they will work for your purposes and would be a big improvement over your originals.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:13 PM   #1097
sugarmaker

David,
Thanks! I owe you big time! I will check with Snyder's.
Did get the driver's door dovetail area, repaired, and the dovetail from the pass side installed and tested. Yes, works good. And the door looks somewhat better too! Which is my basic goal, try to make it better than I found it! Had gray primer to cover the work. The Mig welder did a ok job on the thin steel.
I'll get some pictures up later or tomorrow. Have a plan to repair the vertical rear channel that holds the felt, on the driver's side too.
I put a little never seize on the door hinge pins prior to driving them home again.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 01-25-2022 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:14 AM   #1098
sugarmaker

Folks,
Some pictures to bring you up to date on 32 truck repairs. Drivers door dovetail was broken out and metal fatigued around the area. A plate had been added, bolted in the inside of the door but interfered with the felt window track. Maybe even causing the glass to be cracked?

found a piece of scrap to place inside the door:

Mounted the dovetail with brass screws and welded the #10-32 nuts to the back. Similar to the original.

Use the dovetail to hold the backer plate in position, used the old holes to spot weld through the door skin.:

Not pretty, but functional :

Smoothed out the lumpy weld mess:

Some primer and assembly:

Door back in position for testing. All systems go:

Next will be the felt channel fix. Two strips of steel gently welded to the channel components should do it. The cut out in the channel is for clearance for the door lock to function.

While I was resting I walked the 60 gal Kobalt from the house garage to the shop and plugged it in. Finally have shop air! And the room does help reduce the sound.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 01-25-2022 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:56 AM   #1099
corvette8n

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=679589
Here’s a discussion on evapo-rust, after personally trying some powdered citrus the evapo-rust works better. There are a couple of clones also available.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:14 AM   #1100
sugarmaker

corvette8n,
Thanks! Another tool in the ol' tool box!
You guys and 42 Deluxe, are going to force me to fire up the the old E-tank. Cost of that process is reasonable. A box of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda is enough to clean most of the parts for a tractor. Down side its a line of sight process, and it is not going to get the parts perfectly clean like maybe a acid. Some folks use electrolysis as a pre clean for sandblasting. Reducing the blasting time.
Yikes its cold, the Ki-Ki birds are out!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets