Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #1
Will D

Default Fenton intake value?

Are these fenton intakes any good? Any idea on value?

Was just talking to the mechanic shop beside my work and the guy pulled this out of the back. What should I offer him?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200713_071633_resized.jpg (26.7 KB, 350 views)
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Fenton intake value?

If you have a copy of JWL's book you can see the performance value of most intakes. These lo rise intakes nee a 2" spacer to improve the low and mid range drivability. As a collectors item there not that rare.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
tubman

That's a "Super" (looks to also have exhaust heat) for the later (8BA) flathead. Because of the location of the carburetors (which is good), you will need an offset generator bracket or at least a "slingshot" adapter to run an alternator. Check the generator bracket mounting surface on the front carefully, as the "lips" that keep the generator bracket upright may be broken. (I have seen more broken "lips" on used manifolds than not.) Also, make sure the tapped hole for the generator bracket stud isn't stripped or broken. Also check and make all of the mounting bosses are sound. You don't show a bottom of the manifold, but there is a possibility that there may be exhaust erosion in the heat passages.

I don't know about the duals, but I have heard that the Fenton 4 BBL manifolds are the best of that type. Perhaps that is the same for the dual. I don't need anymore manifolds, but if I could get that for less than $200 in good condition, I just might buy it. Some flathead manifolds are "collectible" and their value has skyrocketed, but I don't think Fentons are in that category.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:01 AM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Will....I'm thinking you still have an original-type early flathead in your car, and NOT the later 8BA-type engine. That manifold is for the later 8BA-type ('49-'53) engine. Although it will bolt-on to an earlier engine, the crankcase ventilation is designed to function differently, and there is no good reason that I see to go thru the necessary mods to use that "beauty-challenged" run-of-the-mill manifold. Save yur money on THAT one! But WTF do I know? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
Tim Ayers

Agreed. Fentons are very common and the 8BA ones aren't that desirable as far as collecting goes.

If it was on a table at a swap for $100-$150, I would consider it as a wall hanger. Otherwise, I'd keep walking for anything over $150.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:19 PM   #6
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Will....I'm thinking you still have an original-type early flathead in your car, and NOT the later 8BA-type engine. That manifold is for the later 8BA-type ('49-'53) engine. Although it will bolt-on to an earlier engine, the crankcase ventilation is designed to function differently, and there is no good reason that I see to go thru the necessary mods to use that "beauty-challenged" run-of-the-mill manifold. Save yur money on THAT one! But WTF do I know? DD
Right you are COOPMAN, '46 C59A. Thank you. Will maybe look it over and offer $100 for a wallhanger or an unplanned future 8BA.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:26 PM   #7
flatford8

Is the right side fuel pump boss broken or am I seeing things in the pic??.....I’d also buy it at the prices mentioned......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:29 PM   #8
Brian

I've run that very same manifold now for probably the last 20 years on various engines. The porting is rather small, this isn't necessarily a bad thing; it keeps intake velocity up. Thing I like about it is the carbs are positioned real close to the engine....I know others say the addition of risers aids performance, honestly I've never tried.
As this intake is for 8BA series, the carb bases are machined at an inclined angle. I machined these off flat, then the fuel pump hit the rear carb, so I modified the base of the fuel pump mount to 'angle' the pump for clearance...Plug the oil fill and draft tube holes with freeze plugs, and it'll go onto any pre 48 engine....
Old 07-13-2020, 01:34 PM   #9
19Fordy

flatford8: Excellent observation. Reduces value considerably.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will D View Post
Right you are COOPMAN, '46 C59A. Thank you. Will maybe look it over and offer $100 for a wallhanger or an unplanned future 8BA.

Will....I know that you have 'use or lose" money, but I would pass on that thing and save your bucks for somethin' you really want or need. Just my opinion! None of my business, really. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 07-13-2020, 04:29 PM   #11
tubman

Quote:
"DD" - I will agree with you that the Fenton is not one of the best looking of the aftermarket manifolds, but for just plain ugly, you can't beat Edmunds.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #12
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Is the right side fuel pump boss broken or am I seeing things in the pic??.....I’d also buy it at the prices mentioned......Mark
It could be, but it may also be that they left the stud in the fuel pump stand on the drivers side; that's what it looks like to me. As I tried to gently allude to in my first post, condition is everything on one of these run of the mill manifolds.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:16 PM   #13
Will D

Quote:
Will....I know that you have 'use or lose" money, but I would pass on that thing and save your bucks for somethin' you really want or need. Just my opinion! None of my business, really. DD
Why do you have to be the voice of reason? I have a wife for that JK. Advice taken. If I did get it I'd have to track down another carb anyway, I've got enough to deal with with what I currently have. It will probably still be sitting on the shelf in his shop if I ever got the urge down the road...if not, oh well.

Thank you for all the input everyone.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #14
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
It could be, but it may also be that they left the stud in the fuel pump stand on the drivers side; that's what it looks like to me. As I tried to gently allude to in my first post, condition is everything on one of these run of the mill manifolds.
Yes it is the stud. Crappy pic as it was taken with my phone with broken camera lens.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:49 PM   #15
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will D View Post
Yes it is the stud. Crappy pic as it was taken with my phone with broken camera lens.

SEE....go spend the money you just saved on that ugly manifold on a functional camera (lens). DD

PS Yup....Evans's ARE just a little more ugly!

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 07-14-2020, 06:46 PM   #16
aussie merc

its worth what your willing to pay as all things are just make him a offer that your comfy with if he takes it good for you if not too bad Old doesn't automatically mean valuable theres someone here keeps poping up with a 3x2 [eldlebrock] but wnts more than a new one guess what its not selling
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:38 PM   #17
tubman

I checked the eBay sold listings, There are a couple of these on there; one sold for $172.50 and the other went for over $300. The pictures weren't good enough to tell much difference between the two. I think the first one reflects the low end of the market, while the second probably went to someone with an emotional attachment ("my dad had one of those on his car".