Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2020, 08:01 PM   #1
law1926

Default 26 modelt ignition switch

I have had my coupe since 1970. When I bought it, it was a rust bucket, not much other than an engine and a shell. I restored it and used it for a number of years before putting it into storage. Last summer I had it running but this year I seem to have a switch problem. Turning the key to battery produces no contact. I have taken the switch out and would like a way to test it. Years ago I put it together and it worked fine. Before I take it apart further to examine inside, I wondered if there were a way to test it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
law1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:34 PM   #2
gz

Default Re: 26 modelt ignition switch

They are pretty simple. If it worked before it should work again. Don't be afraid to open it up carefully and make sure things are OK inside. The only part that really gets damaged is the die cast tumbler (where the key goes into). They make reproductions of this part.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:15 PM   #3
39portlander

I have had this problem just recently, and have installed the new 5012CBQ clip type guts and seemed to work for a while. A similar condition @ times to your 26 as with mine is key position and wiggling it will then produce contact.

So I don't get stuck somewhere on the road I am ordering a new 5012T tumbler next week to resolve my current condition. Good luck and let us know how you make out with your switch.l

I was able to remove the wiring harness from the switch and with a meter check continuity from COIL to BATT and wiggling the key between OFF and BATT did not always show continuity, why I'm now ordering the tumbler that I should have ordered with the 5012CBQ.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:43 AM   #4
law1926

Thanks gz and 39portlander for the suggestions. I will work on this and let you know the results.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #5
law1926

I took the switch apart. That was quite simple. Everything looked quite normal except for the fact I believe someone actually made the back with the screws themselves. I checked for conductivity in the switch between the magneto terminal and the coil terminal and it was okay. I tried the same connecting the coil terminal to the battery terminal on the back of the switch and got nothing. So I have no idea as to why I can't get contact when using the battery side of the switch.