Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2020, 08:07 AM   #1
Fifty2ford

Default 1952 customline steering issue

I recent bought the car. Runs great, fires right up. The issue was in the steering. I know manual steering older cars aren't like a crisp new car with powersteering. Climbing under the car where the idler arm mounts to the body was loose. Tighten that and the car doesnt wander nearly as much as it did. I know i need to get an alignment done. How else can I remove slop from the stearing wheel? What type of fluid is suppose to be in the steering gear box? It looks as if my lower seal where the pitman arm attaches is leaking.
Thanks in advance
Fifty2ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
54vicky

Default Re: 1952 customline steering issue

there are myriad of things in the front steering that can cause the looseness.as to grease there are a lot of opinions as to what to use corn head grease is one of many.JD is mentioned a lot.somebody else will probably come along for more info.good luck
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
runewilliam_merc

Default Re: 1952 customline steering issue

Om ny 1952 Mercury, I changed all four bearings and the oil seals. I used gear lube for an outboard gear (I think it was 80W90 GL5). I tightened the screw on top of the steering box to eliminate end play of the sector axle, and removed gaskets from the square that goes into the steering column to eliminate end play on the worm gear axle and preload the bearings for the worm gear. In hindsight I wish I bought a new sector axle and a new worm gear as well because I still have quite a bit og slack in ny steering box. But there Are no leaks from the steering box after ten years!

Rune Waltoft from Norway

Sent fra min S52 via Tapatalk
runewilliam_merc is offline   Reply With Quote