Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2017, 11:29 PM   #1
Daves55Sedan

Default 55 inside door handle return spring

I am trying to install the flat coiled spring on the interior door opening mechanism that helps the door handle return to the closed position when the handle is released. These springs are often broken at some point and then you have to manually push the inside handle back down or it will stay in the open position.
Back in the 1970's, I recall replacing a couple of these springs but I don't know now how I did it.
It appears that a special tool is required. Any type of pliers or channel-locks seems to be ineffective since the business end of the spring must be inserted in the geartooth first, then the spring needs to be wound about 30 degrees or so to align the center with the two dogs sticking out. But the teeth of your pliers takes up the space at the center that needs to be pushed in so you can't do it. I could kick myself for not being able to remember how I did it before.
Anybody ever done this and have any suggestions?
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:42 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 55 inside door handle return spring

Okay, here is the new spring installed. I had to create a new tool to twist the spring enough to get the center aligned with the slot between the two dogs, then push down while holding it in position. Finally just smash the two dogs together with a large pair of channel locks.
Doorspring.JPG Doortool.JPG
The tool is a piece of 1/4 inch metal tubing with a hardened steel rod welded to one end as a handle that you can hold and twist. The end of the tool has a slot cut thru of the exact same width as the door spring. I ended up having to weld all around the slotted end to keep it from bending as the spring tension was too much for it, but after welding to add strength and grinding down a little it worked well on the first try.
Anybody here ever need to replace one of the inside door return springs may contact me via the private mail her and I will send it to you for only the cost of shipping as I am not likely to ever need it again.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:31 PM   #3
klev

Default Re: 55 inside door handle return spring

Cool tool, thanks for the post - and the generous offer.

I don't think the spring is my problem but will find out once I remove the door card. I have a rear door that won't open from in or out and both handles feel "disconnected".
klev is offline   Reply With Quote