Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
oldredford

Default Model A Engine

Who was the lucky person holding the winning raffle on the Model A inserted engine out in Texas?
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: Model A Engine

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104422
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
lookin-backtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredford View Post
Who was the lucky person holding the winning raffle on the Model A inserted engine out in Texas?
Gentlemen we have a WINNER! So you guys won't be waiting by the phone all night for the "lucky" call - I just arrived home from the awards banquet and our winner is JACK DEVENEY, of ST. PETERS, MISSOURI (a suburb of St. Louis, MO)! I called him when his ticket was drawn and had him on the speaker phone at the podium microphone in front of about 250 attendees and when he answered I said, "Is this Jack?" He said, "Yes" and I said "This is Fred from Texas - you just won an engine!" He replied "TREMENDOUS" and the audience heartily applauded his enthusiasm and his luck. I jokingly asked if he could pick it up tomorrow and then told him I'll put him in touch with Jim who offered free delivery and he'll get his new engine.

Thanks so much to all you guys who entered the engine raffle - it could have been any of you but Jack was the lucky winner!

Now you can go to bed. Maybe you'll win next time!

I am glad one of the out-of-state guys who bought a ticket won rather than one of our local club members. I had some tickets in the drum with my name on them and my wife's name on them and was worried that if they drew one of ours everyone would think that maybe things weren't on the "up and up." Just in case, I used my iPhone to videotape the drawing and we used a totally unbiased, neutral person to draw the ticket which was the manager of the Marriott Hotel where the convention was being held. We used her to draw the winning ticket since she had no dog in the fight.

Here's a photo of the actual engine Jack won; note our original description stated it did not come with a water pump however one of our local club guys donated one to put on it so Jack now has a more complete engine. The distributor body was just sitting on top of the head to cover the hole. Note: my iPhone doesn't take the best of photos and the engine is really "Ford Engine Green" and not the bluish color in the photo.

FOLLOW UP NOTE: The engine winner lives in a suburb of St. Louis, MO and was thrilled when I called him. He says it is going in a Coupe he got 41 years ago in 1972 which he bought with his Vietnam bonus and the current engine is worn out. He's a lucky guy and we're glad the engine is going to a good home.

Thanks again to everyone who entered!!!
Fred

Editor of The Restorer magazine, official publication of MAFCA 12 years
Life Member Dallas Model A Ford Club (44 years)
23 year member & founder Lone Star Model A Ford Club
Chairman 35th Model A Ford Texas Tour 1998 (state convention)
Chairman 42nd Model A Ford Texas Tour 2005 (state convention)
Charter Member Ford Model AA Truck Club
If you aren't driving your antique car frequently, you might as well be collecting clocks!!!
lookin-backtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
larrys40

Fred,

I saw your note this morning and about fell over..!
That is totally awesome! I am helping Jack restore his coupe... everything is pretty worn out ( body too) and this will definitely be the lifeblood of the car when on the road. I talked to him this morning and he is enormously elated. It couldn't have gone to a better home.

Many thanks!
Larry Shepard
St. Charles, MO
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
lookin-backtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
Fred,

I saw your note this morning and about fell over..!
That is totally awesome! I am helping Jack restore his coupe... everything is pretty worn out ( body too) and this will definitely be the lifeblood of the car when on the road. I talked to him this morning and he is enormously elated. It couldn't have gone to a better home.

Many thanks!
Larry Shepard
St. Charles, MO
Larry:
I talked with Jack at length yesterday afternoon and can tell he is really tickled. Sounds like he really needed it and I too am pleased that it is going to a good home. Good for Jack!!!

He promised me he would send some photos when you guys finish the car - I'm looking forward to seeing them and we're glad another Model A is getting back on the road!

Fred
If you aren't driving your antique car frequently, you might as well be collecting clocks!!!

Last edited by lookin-backtexas; 06-10-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
larrys40

Fred! Makes me wonder why I missed buying a ticket... but then... it did go to a good home. Jack is the perfect recipient. Maybe you can do another raffle and I can get lucky.. my slant window cabby will need one when it's turn comes. On second thought I should give the money to Jack to buy the ticket!
Thanks!
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
lookin-backtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
Fred! Makes me wonder why I missed buying a ticket... but then... it did go to a good home. Jack is the perfect recipient. Maybe you can do another raffle and I can get lucky.. my slant window cabby will need one when it's turn comes. On second thought I should give the money to Jack to buy the ticket!
Thanks!
Larry Shepard
Larry:
Jack is a well-deserved recipient of the engine - I like the fact that it's going into a Coupe he bought 41 years ago with his Vietnam bonus.

Our club won't be hosting another Texas Tour for seven more years and we have raffled off an engine the three different times we've hosted the meet. Can't say what will be happening in 2019.

Thanks to everyone who entered!
Fred