Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #1
1930artdeco

Default What to do w Virginia?

I am in West Virginia for three weeks near Harpers Ferry. What do you all recommend besides the museums in DC. Anything Model A related?

Mike
Old 08-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #2
Keith

Default Re: What to do w Virginia?

If your into a day trip you might visit:
Bratton's Antique Auto Parts 1606 Black acre Circle Mount Airy, MD
Approx 40 miles from Haper Ferry. Or if you are interested in a longer drive ~ 140 miles a visit to Schwalms Model A Engine Rebuilding 332 Georgetown Road Strasburg, PA. They are in Amish country Harley Davision Plant in York.

Keith
Old 08-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
Ranchero50

The list is long within a 60 mile radius. Personally I try to avoid the East side of South Mountain like a plague. However Bratton's is in Mount Airy but it's a pretty small shop.

French and Indian War, Fort Frederick is awesome cool

Civil War, Harper's Ferry to South mountain to Antietam

C+O Canal on the Potomac river to pretty cool, Paw Paw tunnel. Berkeley Springs and Shepherdstown are neat to walk around.

The Appalachian trail is another good walk.

Model A specific I can't think of anything off hand. Lots of cool old roads to run which is why I'm building mine.
Ranchero50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #4
Dave in MN

If you can devote a full day to it, the Skyline Drive is about 120 miles from you. The drive is awesome with great views. The full drive is a bit over 100 miles.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:37 PM   #5
mhsprecher

Not really Model A, but Washington County, MD has a Rural Heritage Museum that has some antique cars in it, including a Model A or two. Go to Antietam Battlefield, too, although not Model A. The Rural Heritage Museum is very close to the battlefield. https://www.washco-md.net/rural-heritage-museum/. Hub City Model A club is near there. Their meetings are early in the month, so maybe while you are there? http://hubcitymodelaclub.com/
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:04 PM   #6
holdover

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Not Model A but worth the trip; Sharpsburg MD Battlefield, Downtown Old Town Winchester, at MP 264 Rte 81 New Market Battle Field and museum Many things to do..
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:21 AM   #7
Wick

Look on calendar of events on Hemmings motor news site. Also Car Club central calendar.
Roanoke va. Always has a car show on weekends.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:54 AM   #8
77Birdman

If youre there for several weeks then a trip down skyline drive is def worth it, especially if your going to be there in the fall. Roanoke is quite a bit away to the south, could hit that at the end of the skyline drive. No offense but other than that I wouldn't make a special trip to go there (and that's the ancestral home of half my family!). Post no. 3 hit all of the local stuff to do (other than east of south mountain). Some of the others are a bit of a haul. Strasburg is a pretty good distance, again would make a good weekend trip especially if you like the allure of the Amish country. Quaint little town but not much to see that isn't real touristy. I have been by Schwalms a million times and unless your rebuilding your motor it may be a bit disappointing after a 4 hr trip! Anther good weekend trip would be a few hours south to Williamsburg, and even a trip to Alexandria and Mt. Vernon. The area is loaded with historical sites if your into that.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #9
Railcarmover
BANNED

You are in Civil War country..spend a few minutes reading about General Thomas Jackson and his Shenandoah Valley campaign,you'll find many points of interest close to you..Forget the model A for a bit.do a rebel yell..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #10
Jim M

We travel through that area every year on our way to and from Florida from New England. As far as I am concerned there are three MUST SEE sights in America: Thomas Jefferson's home, Mount Rushmore, and Pearl Harbour. While you are going down through the Shenandoah Valley give your self a treat and visit Charlotesville and the surrounding area. God Bless America!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote