Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #1
SkimmerBob

Default Henry's fist car

I'm taking a CNC class at Henry Ford Community College.
The teacher ( who can't be a day over 35 yrs old, not that it matters)) had some bonus or extra credit questions at the end of the test. The one that got me read "What year did Henry Ford Build his first car in Detroit ?" My first thought was does he mean the "Quadrcycle" or the "Detroit Automobile Co." or Ford Motor Company. The answer he accepted was 1908. So I got it wrong.

Last edited by SkimmerBob; 04-05-2016 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Misspelling
SkimmerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Henry's fist car

Stoopid Instructor! The answer I would have given was the Original Mod. A. The mod.T was built in 1908.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #3
Patrick L.

I hope you showed that instructor the correct answer.

Seems to me, if I remember correctly, the Quadricycle was made and tested in Detroit in 1896. I'd like to hear his other criteria for an answer. Ford made quite a number [ actually, letters, I guess] of vehicles before 1908.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #4
700rpm

The instructor needs to discover the wonders of the interwebs. Google is your friend. Or foe, if you make misinformed statements.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detr...mobile_Company

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
Mikeinnj

In 1896, Ford completed what he called the “Quadricycle,” which consisted of a light metal frame fitted with four bicycle wheels and powered by a two-cylinder, four-horsepower gasoline engine.

Determined to improve upon his prototype, Ford sold the Quadricycle in order to continue building other vehicles. In 1903 Ford established the Ford Motor Company.A month later the first Ford car—the two-cylinder, eight-horsepower Model A was assembled at a plant on Mack Avenue in Detroit. At the time, only a few cars were assembled per day, and groups of two or three workers built them by hand from parts that were ordered from other companies.

Ford was dedicated to the production of an efficient and reliable automobile that would be affordable for everyone; the result was the Model T, which made its debut in October 1908

http://www.history.com/topics/henry-ford

Last edited by Mikeinnj; 04-06-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #6
todd3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
In 1896, Ford completed what he called the “Quadricycle,” which consisted of a light metal frame fitted with four bicycle wheels and powered by a two-cylinder, four-horsepower gasoline engine.

Determined to improve upon his prototype, Ford sold the Quadricycle in order to continue building other vehicles. In 1903 Ford established the Ford Motor Company.A month later the first Ford car—the two-cylinder, eight-horsepower Model A was assembled at a plant on Mack Avenue in Detroit. At the time, only a few cars were assembled per day, and groups of two or three workers built them by hand from parts that were ordered from other companies.

Ford was dedicated to the production of an efficient and reliable automobile that would be affordable for everyone; the result was the Model T, which made its debut in October 1908

http://www.history.com/topics/henry-ford
You forgot henry first started the Henry Ford Motor Company, which is still in business as Cadilac. I believe there was one before that also.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

For some reason it seems to be a trick question, I (and possibly you) just don't see the trick. Are you sure you included all the words exactly as he gave them? Gather your reference material. Ask some of the other students their opinion of his answer. Politely ask him to explain his answer. Remember he is the one that has the power to give you your grade. Don't "win the battle and lose the war".

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
For some reason it seems to be a trick question, I (and possibly you) just don't see the trick. Are you sure you included all the words exactly as he gave them? Gather your reference material. Ask some of the other students their opinion of his answer. Politely ask him to explain his answer. Remember he is the one that has the power to give you your grade. Don't "win the battle and lose the war".

Charlie Stephens
I thought the same thing so I verified that the Bagerly St. home and the Piquette plant were both in the city limits of Detroit thinking that may have been the trick.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #9
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I thought the same thing so I verified that the Bagerly St. home and the Piquette plant were both in the city limits of Detroit thinking that may have been the trick.
I thought of the same thing. Either it is a trick question, or he is miss informed.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
mhsprecher

I think misinformed or just not phrasing the question correctly. Ford Motor Company was Henry's third company. Third time is the charm, I guess.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

He should give double marks to those that got the question correct. As a former professor I truly understand the necessity for an accurate question! Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 04-07-2016 at 04:31 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:15 PM   #12
28RPU

Yeah, yah, but what about the "fist" car???

Last edited by 28RPU; 04-06-2016 at 09:34 AM.
28RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28RPU View Post
Yeah, yah, but what about the fist car???
See #3 for the answer.
Ford later bought back the Quadricycle and it's now in the museum, as well as a nice replica of it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #14
SkimmerBob

I hope to get my test back today. If I do I'll post a pic of the question. I find it somewhat funny that when we are sitting in class we are less than 3 miles due north form the "Quadricycle". The instructor is a good guy and very knowledgeable about CNC's and is a good teacher.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:31 AM   #15
Terry, NJ

In my never to be humble opinion, Henry Ford's Quadracycle was a proof of concept and never an actual car. The Detroit A.C.cars(20?) were not true Fords. This first Ford was the mod A (1901) By 1908, he had produced the A,B,K,N,R,and S.All were true Fords and all were produced prior to the Mod. T 1908.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
I thought of the same thing. Either it is a trick question, or he is miss informed.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:51 AM   #16
Patrick L.

It seems to me that the Henry Ford Company was founded in 1901 and the Ford Motor Co in mid-1903. The first Model A came out in mid to late 1903. I was I could remember exactly when. We had serial #3 for quite awhile.

It also seems to me that the Quadricycle was an actual car in that that is was built and actually driven. Maybe it wasn't built under the Henry Ford or Ford Motor names, but, it was built by Mr Ford and a friend.

The model T happened to be the next letter in sequence from the first A in 1903. When asked why the 1928 [ 1927] Model A was named as such, it was said because it was such a new and different design the sequence needed to be started over again.

But, then, maybe I'm all wrong.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #17
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd3131 View Post
You forgot henry first started the Henry Ford Motor Company, which is still in business as Cadilac. I believe there was one before that also.
The question asked "when did Ford build his first car in Detroit" , not what was the name of his companies........

P.S. Cadillac is a division of General Motors.

Last edited by Mikeinnj; 04-06-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #18
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg;[B
1271971]See #3 for the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg;[B
[/B]
Ford later bought back the Quadricycle and it's now in the museum, as well as a nice replica of it.
Tom, #3 does NOT state the correct answer. Read it (the question) again.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #19
Patrick L.

Quote:
[B]

Cadillac of course is now part of GM, but, at one time it wasn't. Cadillac came from Ford. So did Dodge. They came about in a round about way, but, they started one way or another with Ford.

I looked up the date of the first car Henry Ford made in Detroit along with year. It was first driven on 6/4/1896.
Unless I read the question wrong, it was previously answered as being 1896. If I'm wrong, then tell us the correct answer.

You may want to talk about the Arrow or 999, I don't know, but, those vehicles came after the Quadricycle.

Last edited by Patrick L.; 04-06-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #20
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Cadillac of course is now part of GM, but, at one time it wasn't. Cadillac came from Ford. So did Dodge. They came about in a round about way, but, they started one way or another with Ford.

I looked up the date of the first car Henry Ford made in Detroit along with year. It was first driven on 6/4/1896.
Unless I read the question wrong, it was previously answered as being 1896. If I'm wrong, then tell us the correct answer.
Nahh, don't think so!! Them boys had a bicycle shop and were great machinists. They were just vendors for Ford in the early years.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-06-2016, 02:58 PM   #21
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Nahh, don't think so!! Them boys had a bicycle shop and were great machinists. They were just vendors for Ford in the early years.

Thats the round about way part. They were suppliers of/to Ford as well as 10% stock holders and brother John was at one early time vice president of Ford stepping down from that position in the early teens. [ 1912 or 13 if I remember correctly].
The profits from their Ford stock allowed them to start their own car company, again, if I remember correctly.
But, I can't remember what I had for breakfast.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:04 PM   #22
Bruce Adams

This is from WIKI While it is not germaine to the original FIST CAR, it offers something about the Cadillac Automobile Company origins.

Cadillac was formed from the remnants of the Henry Ford Company. After a dispute between Henry Ford and his investors, Ford left the company along with several of his key partners in March 1902. Ford's financial backers William Murphy and Lemuel Bowen called in engineer Henry M. Leland of Leland & Faulconer Manufacturing Company to appraise the plant and equipment in preparation for liquidating the company's assets. Instead, Leland persuaded the pair to continue manufacturing automobiles using Leland's proven single-cylinder engine. A new company called the Cadillac Automobile Company was established on 22 August 1902. It was named after French explorer Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, sieur de Cadillac, who founded Detroit in 1701.[6][7]
AND FROM WIKI ON THE DODGE BROTHERS & HENRY
On February 23, 1903 the Dodge brothers formally agreed to supply Henry Ford with 650 chassis (including engines, transmissions, and axles) for $250 each, thus beginning a profitable, but stormy relationship between the two firms. This contract kept the 150 men at the Hastings Street plant fully occupied and the Dodges began working exclusively for Ford. He built a plant on Mack Avenue to assemble cars from parts made elsewhere, the entire operation dependent upon extensive credit from his parts suppliers. In return for an investment of $10,000 ($7,000 in materials and a $3,000 bank note), the Dodge brothers accepted 100 shares (one-tenth of the total) in the Ford Motor Company., newly-incorporated on June 16, 1903. Dodge delivered the first shipment of chassis to Mack Avenue in July via horse-drawn hayracks and the Ford Motor Company assembled its first cars. During these early years. Ford often complained that the Dodge workers turned out shoddy products because they were paid by the piece. Despite these problems, he ordered another 755 engines for delivery in January through May 1904, and insisted on the right to order 500 more by early April. By the spring of 1905, when Ford had moved into his new Piquette Avenue plant. Dodge Brothers supplied 400 "rigs" (engines and transmissions) a month. Dodge continued as the major supplier, but by late 1905 Ford was already taking steps to produce his own engines and transmissions for the low-priced Model N.

The fates of Ford and the Dodges remained intertwined for fifteen years. The Dodge brothers began erecting a new plant on their thirty acre site in Hamtramck in 1910, the same year Ford opened his Highland Park complex. In 1912 they supplied Ford with 180,000 transmission-axle sets, with future prospects for much larger orders

First automobiles
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:35 PM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
[B]

"What year did Henry Ford Build his first car in Detroit ?"

I'd still say #3 is correct with Henry building the quadricycle in 1896.

I seem to recall it was later sold to a doctor, but years later was bought back again for the museum.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:08 AM   #24
Patrick L.

Speaking of Dodge,,,

https://www.youtube.com/embed/nq2jY1trxqg?rel=0
Old 04-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #25
SkimmerBob

Here is a pic of the question. I didn't argue with the teacher about it. I work with about 3/4 of the class, they tease me because I keep bringing it up. They google it and show me 1908 for the "T" they don't care that it's wrong. I couldn't put 1908 because I knew it was wrong. I put 1903 because FoMoCo was establish that year. I have at least 2 more classes with this teacher I hate to rock the boat this early. But I still might.

Pic won't load from my phone I'll try later
Old 04-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #26
SkimmerBob

Maybe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (26.6 KB, 59 views)
Old 04-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #27
Patrick L.

I think there would a couple diplomatic ways to present a printing of several links with the correct answer at the correct and most opportune time.

I know some folks get mad no matter how gently they are told certain things, but, I think most enjoy learning something new.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #28
tmiller6

While Detroit had the first mile of concrete pavement, I thought Bellefontaine Ohio claims they were the first concrete road in the US (1893).
tmiller6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:27 PM   #29
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkimmerBob View Post
Maybe

I like the grammar where he uses the word 'weather' in place of whether!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-07-2016, 04:39 PM   #30
Bruce Adams

Just to pile on the poor teacher, the LONG ISLAND MOTOR PARKWAY had ten miles of Reinforced concrete completed and VANDERBILT CUP RACES on it by October 1908. These cars were averaging over 90 MPH in 1908 on a 225 mile race course.
WIKI FOLLOWS
William Kissam Vanderbilt II, the great-grandson of Cornelius Vanderbilt, was an auto-racing enthusiast and created the Vanderbilt Cup, the first major road racing competition, in 1904. He ran the races on local roads in Nassau County during the first decade of the 20th century, but the deaths of two spectators and injury to many others showed the need to eliminate racing on residential streets. Vanderbilt responded by floating a company to build a graded, banked and grade-separated highway suitable for racing that was also free of the dust churned up by horses. The resulting Long Island Motor Parkway, with its banked turns, guard rails, reinforced concrete tarmac, and controlled access, was the first limited-access roadway in the world.[3]

William K. Vanderbilt II
The road was originally planned to stretch for 70 miles (110 km) in and out of New York City as far as Riverhead, the county seat of Suffolk County, and point of division for the north and south forks of Long Island. Only 45 miles (72 km) (from Queens in New York City to Lake Ronkonkoma) were constructed, at a cost of $6 million.[3] Construction began in June 1908 (a year after the Bronx River Parkway). On October 10, 1908,[4] a 10-mile-long (16 km) section opened as far as modern Bethpage, making it the first superhighway. It hosted races in 1908 and on the full road in 1909 and 1910, but an accident in the latter year's Vanderbilt Cup, killing two riding mechanics with additional injuries,[5] caused the New York Legislature to ban racing except on race tracks, ending its career as a racing road.

By 1911, the road was extended to Lake Ronkonkoma. It was the first roadway designed exclusively for automobile use, the first concrete highway in the United States, and the first to use overpasses and bridges to eliminate intersections.[6]

Access
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:46 PM   #31
Randy in ca

Default Re: Henry's first car

"In what year did Henry Ford build his first car in Detroit?"

From www.history.com

At approximately 4:00 a.m. on June 4, 1896, in the shed behind his home on Bagley Avenue in Detroit, Henry Ford unveils the “Quadricycle,” the first automobile he ever designed or drove.

From the Henry Ford Organization Webpage: www.thehenryford.com

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1896 Ford.jpg (43.4 KB, 23 views)
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:51 AM   #32
Patrick L.

John Dodge:

o retool their plant to build engines for Henry Ford in a deal that included a share position in the new Ford Motor Company. By 1910, John Dodge and his brother were so successful they built a new plant in Hamtramck, Michigan.[2]

For ten years (1903–1913), the Dodge brothers' business was a Ford Motor Company supplier, and Dodge worked as vice president of the Ford company.[3] He left Ford in 1913, and in 1914 he and Horace formed Dodge Brothers to develop their own line of automobiles. They began building motor trucks for the United States military during the arms buildup for World War I, and in October 1917 they produced their first commercial car. At war's end, their company produced and marketed both cars and trucks.