Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #21
Cornishman

Default Re: Remparts Angouleme Rallye International

Anyone who uses a Facebook can see my car in a video posted on the organisers' official FB page.
https://www.facebook.com/circuit.dan...0A&pnref=story
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:51 AM   #22
René W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishman View Post
I went down to Angouleme today to complete my registration for the rally tomorrow. On the way down I actually saw the Bentley towing the Porsche 962 on the N10 near a town called Ruffec. I saw it again in Angouleme town centre so took a couple of photos.
My Model A is all ready, greased, washed and polished, for an early start tomorrow as I don't want to be late for the petit déjeuner in Angouleme.
Has your model A broken down?.........as it is on a trailer?
Old 09-19-2017, 02:02 AM   #23
Cornishman

A attempted joke or sarcasm? It was on the trailer for practical reasons. It would have been a two hour drive in the dark to get to the start. That's impossible for two reasons the most important being that my original 6v generator can't cope with that, the second is I'm not going to risk my life taking a car that travels slower than the heavy traffic on the RN10 and the alternative route is much longer. My priority was being at the start on time. I would rather celebrate the fact that my Model A completed the day covering significantly over 100 miles on a number of challenging roads in mixed weather conditions. That's the important part. The fact that it went from my home to Angoulême and back in a trailer is to do with practicality. I'd done the journey the day before on a motorcycle in the rain because that was more practical as well. Does it also offend you that I didn't use my Model A for that too? My car was running as well at the end of the day as at the start. I find the fact that it did so rewarding. This is a car that before last August had been off the road since 1992. A car that didn't run and was not registered or roadworthy. A car which broke down on its second trip and was found to have a hole between the water jacket and one of the combustion chambers. A car which is kept in France, a long way from the parts dealers in the USA or even the firm in England I buy them through. A car on which all the work has been carried out by me because their is no one else to help.
I'm sorry if my using a trailer upset your sensibilities but hopefully you now can see why I did. I'm only down the road from you Rene, why don't you come as well next year?
Old 09-19-2017, 06:14 AM   #24
René W

I was only joking,in fact i wish could be there but a bad spine and left leg holds me near home.
Whyb don you buy parts in the UK or USA?.........in Holland we have several vendors who have a large stock of parts,i think as you are in France it will save you money,pay in euro's so no bank costs,cheaper delivery costs(no boat costs) and it are the same Parts.
If i need parts i order on their website and the second day the parts are here.I usally order here....http://www.adamscc.nl/catalog/index.php
Oh........and trailers don't upset me,it is your car so you have to do as you want with it.I never use a trailer to put the model a on,i use only a trailer to tow it with the model a and put some motorcycles in it.
Everywhere i go with my model A i just drive it,never had any problems with heavy traffic,when i go to the other side of the country i use only highways and cruise around 90 km/h and i don't feel unsafe by that,not more unsafe as with a modern-ish car like the Citroen Visa 1985 i have.
From Februari to Novembre i drive the A as a daily as long as it is not freezing,never felt unsafe to me though i live in a busy area(Amsterdam).
René
Old 09-19-2017, 06:36 AM   #25
Cornishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by René W View Post
I was only joking,in fact i wish could be there but a bad spine and left leg holds me near home.
Whyb don you buy parts in the UK or USA?.........in Holland we have several vendors who have a large stock of parts,i think as you are in France it will save you money,pay in euro's so no bank costs,cheaper delivery costs(no boat costs) and it are the same Parts.
If i need parts i order on their website and the second day the parts are here.I usally order here....http://www.adamscc.nl/catalog/index.php
Oh........and trailers don't upset me,it is your car so you have to do as you want with it.I never use a trailer to put the model a on,i use only a trailer to tow it with the model a and put some motorcycles in it.
Everywhere i go with my model A i just drive it,never had any problems with heavy traffic,when i go to the other side of the country i use only highways and cruise around 90 km/h and i don't feel unsafe by that,not more unsafe as with a modern-ish car like the Citroen Visa 1985 i have.
From Februari to Novembre i drive the A as a daily as long as it is not freezing,never felt unsafe to me though i live in a busy area(Amsterdam).
René
Thanks for the link Rene. Buying from the UK isn't too bad at the moment as the pound is so weak against the Euro but I'll look into the Dutch sites. It's a country I know well, my grandfather lived in Arnhem for 40 years and I lived close to Roermond, but in Germany, for 26 years and spent a lot of my time in the Netherlands.
The problem with the RN10 is that it is a toll free short cut for the trucks heading from the north and central France to Spain and Portugal. To encourage them to take the longer route on the autoroute they are not allowed to overtake between Poitiers and Bordeaux and their drivers can be very aggressive when they come across a vehicle travelling slower than they want to go. Add in darkness and it becomes a no go area. The only viable alternative is almost twice the distance and takes more than twice as long. The trailer does fine.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:28 AM   #26
Chippy Minton

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
That looks like a good mixture of interesting motor cars. Were there any other Model As involved?
Chippy Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:49 AM   #27
BILL WILLIAMSON

TRAILERS: We'd drive our Hot Rods ALL week to work, BUT, on Drag Racing day, we'd BEG/BORROW/STEAL a trailer, so we could look like REAL RACERS! (And, we could drag it home, if we BROKE IT! +*$^%#@#=+^*#@)
Sometimes, when some ROOKIE took the bottom out of an Old Ford trans, while "speedshifting", It'd take 1/2 hour to pick up ALL the pieces & clean up the 90 WEIGHT!
Bill Vainandinsecure

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 09-24-2017 at 08:01 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote