Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
Robert/Texas

Default Stromberg 97

I managed to run out of gas yesterday in my ’37. Since then the engine is sometimes hard to start and also sometimes coughs and tries to stall. The way this is happening makes me think that I got some water in the carb bowl. What is the easiest way to drain this?
Thanks in advance, Robert.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Stromberg 97

You could try running some of the alcohol mosture cleaners through it. If you have any filters in the system need to replace or clean them.

Last edited by JSeery; 05-21-2017 at 08:37 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #3
Robert/Texas

Thanks JSeery.
No filters and no sediment bulb. I think that with a sediment bulb I wouldn’t have the problem. The car has about 62k miles on it and is unrestored. For now though I’d like to drain the float chamber but am afraid I might make things worse.
Robert
Old 05-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #4
Andy

You could take it off and turn it upside down. It is easy to get the top off a 97. The accelerater link is spring loaded so just pull back on the sleeve. The only danger is removing and reinstalling the pivot on the top for the choke. Do not cross thread. With the top off, the bowl can be inspected for trash.
The car will actually run with the top of the carb removed. Kind of interesting to watch.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:20 PM   #5
scicala

Removing any one of the three large/flat brass screws on the bottom of the bowl will drain it if you have a Stromberg 97.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
Robert/Texas

Thanks Andy and sciala.
Before I started this thread I tried to remove either of the drain plugs but they were tight and butchered so I gave up on that. I removed the top of the carb as Andy suggested and blew out the bowl with a small fitting on my air compressor. What came out was oily yellow crap like I sometimes find in the sediment bulbs in my other old Fords. (It stained the aluminum intake manifold.) After replacing the top I primed and started the engine. It started right up but there is a little hesitation when I give it the gas. I assume that some of this crap has gotten to the innards of the carb.
I think that next time I go to town I’ll try to find some of that cleaner that you spray into the carb while the engine is running and see if that helps.
Thanks again, Robert.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #7
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert/Texas View Post
Thanks Andy and sciala.
Before I started this thread I tried to remove either of the drain plugs but they were tight and butchered so I gave up on that. I removed the top of the carb as Andy suggested and blew out the bowl with a small fitting on my air compressor. What came out was oily yellow crap like I sometimes find in the sediment bulbs in my other old Fords. (It stained the aluminum intake manifold.) After replacing the top I primed and started the engine. It started right up but there is a little hesitation when I give it the gas. I assume that some of this crap has gotten to the innards of the carb.
I think that next time I go to town I’ll try to find some of that cleaner that you spray into the carb while the engine is running and see if that helps.
Thanks again, Robert.
You could try the old VW off roader fix. With the air cleaner off rev the engine and quickly place your hand over the top of the carb causing the engine to starve for air. Do this a couple of times and see if whatever crap is gumming up the carb will be sucked out be the engine starving situation. Just a thought.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

Putting some MMO and SeaFoam in the gas won't hurt either. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:40 PM   #9
drkbp

Probably got some junk in the power valve area. I found that when I took a Stromberg 97 off my '35 several weeks ago.
Ken
drkbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:06 PM   #10
Robert/Texas

Thanks again to all of you.
I went to town today and bought a spray can of Seafoam carburetor cleaner. I sprayed the whole can contents into the carb with the engine running at varying speeds. The car now runs just like it did before the incident. I guess the lesson is to not run out of gas especially if you’ve been burning that ethanol laced stuff.
Robert
Old 05-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #11
alchemy

I'd suggest a couple things: First put a filter somewhere in the line. Then, stop using any gas with ethanol in it.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I second both of those suggestions!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:35 AM   #13
Robert/Texas

I agree with both of you and plan to add a filter. Ethanol free gas was unavailable in my area until about six months or so ago. Now there is a station about 60 miles from here which sells it for about $2.90/gallon. It's really not practical for me to fuel up there but I do use their gas in my chainsaw and weed eater. It seems strange to me that ethanol free gas is more readily available in Iowa and Kansas than in Texas.