Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2016, 05:56 PM   #21
38bill

Default Re: Drive Shaft Angel

ZZ any chance we could see a close up of the front and rear end of your torque tube? I'm running torque rods but I like the look of your set up much better. Thanks.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:57 PM   #22
zzlegend

Thanks for the kind words flatford. Yes, easier for some maintenance.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #23
zzlegend

38bill, Here is a couple of pictures. In the front, I used a large Heim in stead of a tie rod end. Guess either would work. I used a 46-48 front wishbone cut in half for the rear radius rods and torque arm just so they would match. Plus those are about the strongest ones made. Probably overkill on the rear bracket but hey, Safe than sorry I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1015137.jpg (64.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg P10150974.jpg (85.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg P1015088k.jpg (77.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg P1015112.jpg (64.4 KB, 53 views)
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:18 AM   #24
roundvalley

Rules at raceofgentleman.com.
roundvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:48 AM   #25
Walt Dupont--Me.

Nice pic guys. I know my friend is useing the Model A buggy spring and A rear end with an adapter to use open drive shaft, I know he making torshon bars somehow but I haven't seen it, he lives 85 miles from me. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #26
40 Deluxe

[QUOTE=Jason in TX;1347207]Outstanding video of the importance of maintaining parallel transmission output and pinion input when using universal joints. Phasing is also key or there will be driveline vibration.

seems for every rule there is an exception: I was helping assemble a '68 Camaro my son-in-law bought in pieces when I noticed the driveshaft yokes were several degrees out of phase. I explained the importance of proper phasing and had him get another driveshaft. It was the same way! He took it to an old time driveshaft shop and they told him there was nothing wrong with it; that's how those Camaros came from the factory. I was working in a Chevy dealer's shop in '67 when Camaro's came out but never noticed this through the years.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:51 PM   #27
blucar

FYI
The object of having a negative angle to the drive line is to allow for torque in the drive line. When power is applied the torque will result in the drive line being in a near straight line, and/or a minimal angle, that will allow the u-joints to work properly.
If the drive line is installed in a straight line, when power/torque is applied the drive line will torque up causing stress on the u-joints.
From my experience, I have found that the subject of drive-line angle is one of the most misunderstood subjects that keep cropping up.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #28
JSeery
Member Emeritus

[QUOTE=40 Deluxe;1348098]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
Outstanding video of the importance of maintaining parallel transmission output and pinion input when using universal joints. Phasing is also key or there will be driveline vibration.

seems for every rule there is an exception: I was helping assemble a '68 Camaro my son-in-law bought in pieces when I noticed the driveshaft yokes were several degrees out of phase. I explained the importance of proper phasing and had him get another driveshaft. It was the same way! He took it to an old time driveshaft shop and they told him there was nothing wrong with it; that's how those Camaros came from the factory. I was working in a Chevy dealer's shop in '67 when Camaro's came out but never noticed this through the years.
There are two different levels of technology going on here! One is the Hot Rod level of technology that is based on fairly simple straight forward guidelines. The other is highly technical design engineering. These components work as part of a complete system with multiple interactions going on. Just because a design team of experienced engineers with test facilities can do something does not mean it will work in your garage. IMHO unless you really understand what all is going on it is best to stick to the basics.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #29
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Outstanding video of the importance of maintaining parallel transmission output and pinion input when using universal joints. Phasing is also key or there will be driveline vibration.

Don't forget that those Camaros used that stupid MONO-leaf spring that would easily allow the pinion angle to change as housing torque wrapped that leaf upward in the front. Another reason they hopped so badly. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #30
pooch

Quote:

For Oz interest, the tailshaft/driveshaft of an IRS commodore has its yokes not in line .

I guess it has to do with the diff centre being fixed and not changing angularly to the gearbox .

There must be an engineering reason it is better or they would not do it.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote