Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
Chip Rodriguez

Default Tranny/diff service

What did I do wrong? Or is what I read wrong? I serviced the trans and diff on the model A, according to what I've read, the trans takes 1.5 pints (24oz). The diff takes 2.25 pints (36oz). I poured 24 oz into the trans thru a tight long funnel, when I pulled the funnel out, it was over filled and about 4oz poured out of the fill hole. The diff took about 30oz before it wouldn't take anymore. Has anybody else had this problem?
Chip Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Tranny/diff service

The Service Bulletins show 1 pint for the trans and 1.5 pints for the rear axle.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
wmws
BANNED

How long did you let them drain. In cool weather it takes a long time for all the oil to drain out.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #4
Chuck Sea/Tac

I don’t know why there’s even a quantity mentioned. Just fill them both to the fill hole!
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:15 PM   #5
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
I don’t know why there’s even a quantity mentioned. Just fill them both to the fill hole!
For the guy that poured 1 qt in the top of his trans instead of 1 pt???

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:23 PM   #6
Chip Rodriguez

I was going off of the Les Andrews model A handbook. Apparently his refill capacities are not correct.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:23 PM   #7
Chip Rodriguez

I let both completely drain.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:53 PM   #8
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Rodriguez View Post
I was going off of the Les Andrews model A handbook. Apparently his refill capacities are not correct.
I recall that his refill capacity listed for the Gemmer steering gear is likewise incorrect on the high side. There are some other errors in both Volumes I and Volume II books. One would think that he would correct these errors in subsequent printings, especially where safety is at issue, but they continue to sell, so whatever...
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #9
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Rodriguez View Post
My Les's Handbook also shows 1.5 pints for the transmission. That has to be a misprint.

I often refer to Le's handbook, it's a great reference but I think taking everything in the book as the absolute gospel can sometimes get you in trouble. I assume all the specs listed apply to a new car fresh off the assembly line. It doesn't account for wear and tear on a 90 year old car, modifications, upgrade changes and everything else. As a newcomer to the Model A hobby it's easy to think you're doing everything correctly just because that's what the book says. As an example, on page 17 the book says torque axle nuts to 125 ft pounds. The spec sheet in back of the book says 100 ft pounds. So when doing a brake job I'm following the book, 125 ft pounds. After that, the next time I removed and replaced the hub, the threads on the axle are nearly stripped. I could see a problem of wallowing out the wheel mounting holes if torquing the lug nuts to 64 ft lbs (page 17).
There are probably many other examples as well. The book is a good place to start but I would also check with someone who is experienced before getting too carried away.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
Bob Bidonde

No torque wrenches were used when the Model "A" was built by Ford. Les Andrews arbitrary applies an SAE torque table to bolts of standard sizes regardless of their application.

Since 1962 I have been torquing the rear axle hub nut to 50 lbs-ft. In my opinion, more torque is detrimental to the stress levels in the axle and as you found out, it failed the threads.