Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #1
dschwartz

Default 59 AB Angle Drive Distributor

Angle drive distributor 59 AB flathead do I still time it like the original distributor.
Help Fordbarn with my angle distributor. Do I set the timing the same as an original distributor? I am using the angle disturber to save front space. The distributor that I am using is electric Chev. No timing marks. Sending pictures.
Help I cannot get the motor to start it fires but not enough to start
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0586[1].JPG (208.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0587[1].JPG (216.2 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by dschwartz; 01-10-2020 at 11:07 PM. Reason: add pictures
dschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:33 AM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: 59 AB Angle Drive Distributor

Yes, In order to get the spark when necessary. Is this a Magneto? What type of distributor? Do you have timing marks? Have a photo?
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #3
Bored&Stroked

Not necessarily - all depends on what you have and also if you actually know where TDC is and have your crank pulley degreed. What do you have? Post pictures.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:36 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Different applications can be timed to the engine but the procedure can vary with the type being used. The original crab or rabbit ear distributor has a fixed body with internal adjustment only. Others will have to be set up to adjust the way they were intended to be.

Angle drives are generally installed for a specific reason. What reason do you have for an angle drive set up? Is it for dual plugs, dual distributors, magneto drive, or some other reason?
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
Mart

Not trying to be a smartarse, but your question is lacking in enough detail to answer it.

Edit: Can see pictures now. As that is not a stock setup you just need to approach it from first principles.

if you have a timing light (dial back type preferred) and a TDC pointer you should be able to get it dialed in nicely.

Last edited by Mart; 01-11-2020 at 07:01 PM.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
flatheadmurre

Any distributor that fits the frontmount, angledrive or not can be timed on a timing fixture or on a sun with the ford adapter.
But since most angledrives have the magneto rotating with a locking bolt it is very painless doing it in the car if you make a timing mark on the front pulley.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:03 PM   #7
rotorwrench

Magnetos are not really good for a street car. They have to be set up for full advance on most applications and they have to have an impulse coupling to get them to start without damaging the starter unless a person can set them up for a manual advance that moves the whole unit for timing. Vertex/Scintilla does have an internal mechanical advance but it has to move the whole system internally so that the internal timing will not be off of the E-gap. This is one of the reasons that they are so big. There is no vacuum control retard system for any magneto that I've ever come across.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:17 PM   #8
Bored&Stroked

I run a Vertex magneto on the street - is an excellent ignition . . . starts very easily and has 16 degrees of mechanical advance. It is not hard on the starter as it starts the engine with the initial static advance of 8 degrees of initial. The only down side is that it has no load sensing capability, so it will not be as good on mileage as a properly setup stock ignition. BUT - it sure runs nice and is pretty much trouble free (points last forever). If you don't have rare-earth magnets, then you do have to have the magnets checked/charged every 3 or so years.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:59 AM   #9
Terry,OH

If you have an adjustable timing light you can check at idle and check advance curve to see how much advance you have and when it comes in. since you do not have the timing marks there are several post on the web site that will assist in getting TDC marked. After getting TDC the adjustable timing light will be what you will need or mark additional timing marks.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:58 AM   #10
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
If you have an adjustable timing light you can check at idle and check advance curve to see how much advance you have and when it comes in. since you do not have the timing marks there are several post on the web site that will assist in getting TDC marked. After getting TDC the adjustable timing light will be what you will need or mark additional timing marks.
Good point on an adjustable timing light ----> where you "walk back" the total advance and see how many degrees it takes to get back to TDC. They used to be super expensive (like a high-dollar SnapOn model) . . . but are available today at cheaper prices.

What I have not done is compare the "results" between one of them and physical marks on the crank pulley - may just have to do that!

Idea: One could get creative with one of these and use it to identify HOW to mark your crank pulley for accurate timing marks - as long as you have a TDC marked.

Link:

https://www.jegs.com/i/Bosch-Actron/885/CP7528/10002/-1
Old 01-10-2020, 10:24 AM   #11
Ol' Ron

The vertex adapter rotation would determine what aftermarket dist you could use. The Pontiac dist runs CCW and could be modified to furnish a modern advance system. I had one of these adapters, but it walked off all by itself.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #12
cmbrucew

I believe Ron is on to something. Remove the cap and watch the rotation of the rotor.
The angle drive may change the rotation.

Bruce
Old 01-11-2020, 02:58 PM   #13
Ronnieroadster

The right angle drive would be no different than the late style Flathead distributor rotation. Ford in Sweden made a similar right angle front mount that bolts to the early three bolt front cover. The mount from Sweden has the Ford script on it and looks very similar to the one pictured in post number 1. Any right hand rotation dist will work perfectly. Converting a distributor for the one I have from Sweden was easy. No gear was needed on the dist end instead the end of the shaft is an offset male tang that locates in the drives offset female slot. Just like the early Flathead front cover distributor drive but on a much smaller scale.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 01-11-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote