Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
KCTA Chris

Default Finally broke it...

I figured it was time, and knew whatever I parts that were packed certainly wouldn't be the right one. But after 2 years and Lots of driving she finally let go on the road last weekend. As I headed south to the HAMB drags the motor quit, diagnosis by disassembly reviled the one thing... Timing gear.

My fault, I used a NOSR part that was of unknown history. Not too bad though, I had a place to park 4 miles away from the breakdown. I called a friend at the Springfield swap meet, who picked up an new gear from a vendor. Enjoyed the drags and reinstalled the gear sunday morning with simple tools and hit the road.

Most folks would be a upset but this is the first time it needed a little help to get home. I can't complain at all. I've driven this every week since I built it, It's been beat on, hauled kids, lumber, trees, camping equipment and taken our family to secluded fishing hole, even been a parade or two. I've never thought twice about driving across a few states.

Don't know what it is about an "A" but even in the adventure I still had a smile.

Last edited by KCTA Chris; 08-20-2013 at 05:23 PM.
KCTA Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Finally broke it...

Chris,

Not just A's -- had a most important out of town meeting to attend to one week day morning. Got in my then new 74 Pontiac, with only about 3,000 miles.

Drove 5 feet -- engine died & would not start -- teeth on fiber gear sheared off -- after thinking, lucky I was not in heavy, fast moving multi-lane metro traffic.

FWIW, for safety, with today's different weaving & faster driving styles, never a bad idea to install an all metal gear in one's Model A.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
grapp

That's mighty nice truck...glad it was a simple fix!~
grapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Rusty Homestead Fl

Hey Chris
How do those friction shocks work for ya? Can you notice much difference over no shocks at all ? I let a set pass and wondered if I should have jumped on them.
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
KCTA Chris

The friction shocks are ok, not the same ride as hydraulic but do the job. Since I was building fenderless I choose look over the comfort. You can adjust them with noticeable difference in ride quality but still not great. I live off gravel roads and drive a little too fast so they do get a work out. In comparison a friends truck with similar chassis and properly restored shocks makes mine feel choppy, his rides like a Caddilac up front.

I only run them on the front, I have the cast Offy style on the rear but those are dummies. Hidden underneath are air shocks so I can alter bed height and ride depending on load. - Old moonshiners technology
KCTA Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #6
SeaSlugs

these fiber timing gears, ive seem to have read alot of posts about them breaking lately.

since my engine isn't in the truck yet would it be very wise to put an all metal one in its place now?
Old 08-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Randy in Illinois

Lately the timing gear in my car has been making some noise too. If I push on the gear with the timing pin the noise goes away. I want to wait until the summer over before I replace it with a metal gear. (fiber gear in there now)
Randy in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Purdy Swoft

Metal timing gears are forever!!! Truth be known, replaceing the timing gears is one of the worse PITA jobs that I can think of. I'd rather replace the transmission, anyday than the timing gears. I only use the metal gears.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote