Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2016, 06:24 AM   #1
fortyfords

Default 32 glove box knob

I'm looking for any suggestions on repairing an original 32 3w coupe glove box knob. It has a piece broken out of the base but the rest of the knob is good. I have made a washer and threaded shaft but now to fill in the missing portion. I would appreciate any knowledge from someone who has done this or a person who can direct me in a good direction. I figure that I only have one shot at this before I ruin this knob. Thanks all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2727.jpg (20.6 KB, 79 views)
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: 32 glove box knob

That is going to be a tough one.Maybe find some brown colored epoxy.The knob pictured appears to be a 33.32's have a flange at the base.33 knobs are being reproduced by Carpenter.32 GB knob are as rare as hens teeth.Here is a pic from David's book that shows what the knob should look like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 goodies.jpg (131.8 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by deuce lover; 01-19-2016 at 12:38 PM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
rockfla

Call David Morton @ (864) 979-1844 OR email him at [email protected], he can recast you a knob if that's the one you want or cannot find in reproduction. I did a post here on the barn Unobtainium car parts and posted pictures of some 32 German knobs he re-cast for us. Give him a try!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
DavidG

I had the same reaction to your photo as deuce lover, namely that the lack of raised area around the hole for the threaded shank (to center the recessed washer that you have) suggested it was a '33 knob. Once installed, that feature of the '32 knob is invisible and it then depends on much of a stickler you are for originality.

If you cannot find a suitable color for patching material for the missing chunk of your knob, you may wish to consider using hobby paint for plastic to match the surrounding original color. No one has ever reproduced the correct original color for the knobs on the window crank handles in '32 deluxe coupes so one is left to using such paint to achieve that color. A final coat of clear paint of the same type carefully applied will help hide the color transition and provide a seamless result.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:40 PM   #5
fortyfords

I see what you guys mean by the flange on the knob. On the deuce web site, there is a real good picture of a knob, page 3 on 32 ford original parts. So I see that the knob that I have does not have the plastic flange so this must not be the correct knob. I may go ahead and repair it anyway as it is pretty but I won't use it on my car. I'll get in touch with the karmodeler and see what he says. Thanks so much from all of you guys, very helpful. And DavidG's books are my bible on 32's, most helpful.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:59 PM   #6
DavidG

Here's the book photo in color, which may be somewhat more helpful. Note the dark brown (with red highlights) knob on the window crank handle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 079.jpg (33.8 KB, 51 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:30 AM   #7
fortyfords

Thanks DavidG, I'll bet the knob that I have is off a crank handle of some car. I can't thank you all enough for the help.