Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2018, 03:53 AM   #21
tinman080

Default Re: Pin stripe

As a younger nipper in the bodyshop business I learned that if using masking tape and you sprayed them with lacquer the paint has to be completely dry before pulling the masking tape. The edge will feel rough. If you mask tape the stripes and use acrylic enamel, REMOVE THE TAPE WHILE THE PAINT IS STILL WET. The stripes will have no edges, no rubbing needed and if you have taken time to mask the stripes with slightly rounded ends the effect looks virtually the same as a rolled-on stripe. An airbrush is not necessary, a Devilbiss or Binks cup gun works great, just don't load the job up with too much paint. A good fingertip gun works well also. We repaired new Fords a lot, the '77 thru '79 T-Birds were striped everywhere including the roofs. lol I never got one back for the striping using the wet tape-pulling method. We could copy vinyl graphics into an adjacent repaired panel with paint doing the masking and removal of the tape when wet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th4rrd (Small).jpg (6.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg thfty (Small).jpg (8.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 1979_ford_thunderbird-pic-2598486596804736984-1600x1200 (Small).jpg (57.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-20-2018, 07:04 AM   #22
figment

X2 for Jim Brand , He has all the correct colors for the original pin stripes . He also knows the correct areas to be covered by a pin stripe ! He also knows where the stripes have a proper ending and start on each panel . There are also more details that make the stripe as original . He also does the tires for a nice finishing toutch ! Norm
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #23
BILL WILLIAMSON

In the '50s, I traveled EVERYWHERE to the Drag Races, with my Pinstriper Friend, Jim McKenna. He was an AMAZING artist! Some of his BEST work was under the Back Lot Lights, at a Drive In, in Sacramento, at 2 in the MORNING!
Bill W.