Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2021, 07:39 AM   #1
Garwood

Default Opportunity to buy a 2nd Model A

So . . . awhile back I put out some feelers through our local club that I was looking for a 5 window coupe or roadster. Someone (non-club memeber) called me last week that he heard through the grape vine that I was looking. Said he has one in the back of his garage that he hasn't touch in a few years. Turns out it's a 5 window coupe that he had since '68. I drove over to check her out and even took her around the block. Will need work but very solid. If the price is right I'm sure I can make room in my garage or fit through the slider in my walk out basement and do a frame off restore.

How in the heck am I going to sneak this into the house. It's not like items I can throw in the cart while shopping with my wife. LOL.

My wife was with me when I check out the coupe. I think she likes it but said I can't have both. I mean the truck and coupe, not coupe and her.

On a side note, even though it was a '68 restore, she still drove like a Cadillac compared to my truck, so I might end up selling the truck after a full restore is done on the coupe.

Garwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:51 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Opportunity to buy a 2nd Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
So . . . awhile back I put out some feelers through our local club that I was looking for a 5 window coupe or roadster. Someone (non-club memeber) called me last week that he heard through the grape vine that I was looking. Said he has one in the back of his garage that he hasn't touch in a few years. Turns out it's a 5 window coupe that he had since '68. I drove over to check her out and even took her around the block. Will need work but very solid. If the price is right I'm sure I can make room in my garage or fit through the slider in my walk out basement and do a frame off restore.

How in the heck am I going to sneak this into the house. It's not like items I can throw in the cart while shopping with my wife. LOL.

My wife was with me when I check out the coupe. I think she likes it but said I can't have both. I mean the truck and coupe, not coupe and her.

On a side note, even though it was a '68 restore, she still drove like a Cadillac compared to my truck, so I might end up selling the truck after a full restore is done on the coupe.
Happy Wife, ...happy life!!

Be sure you think this one thru well before you act!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:57 AM   #3
Garwood

I did notice she was looking at pictures on her phone later that night of yellow Model A's since she likes yellow. The car is currently dark blue and I was thinking redoing the car in straw with red wheels, the bigger black stripe with red pin stripe.

Kind of like this roadster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Happy Wife, ...happy life!!

Be sure you think this one thru well before you act!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yellow with Red Wheels.jpg (136.4 KB, 145 views)

Old 06-15-2021, 08:18 AM   #4
shew01

Quote:
I did notice she was looking at pictures on her phone later that night of yellow Model A's since she likes yellow. The car is currently dark blue and I was thinking redoing the car in straw with red wheels, the bigger black stripe with red pin stripe.

Kind of like this roadster.

Let her pick the colors. That might help get “buy in” from her for the project.

Just a thought…. Maybe it will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:19 AM   #5
shew01

You might want to “guide” the color choices by showing her some pictures of the Internet that have attractive color combinations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:24 AM   #6
Garwood

If I end up buying the coupe, it'll sit in the garage till winter before I do anything. Wife will be going to Gilmore Model A days in Sept. with me in the truck so I'll be watching her eyes to see what color combo she gravitates towards.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:10 AM   #7
goodcar

So now before you even have the car you're talking restoration, a lot of work and expense. How is that going to play out?? If you manage to convince the wife to let you buy the car, then buy it and and enjoy it as is for awhile. Whatever all this costs, be prepared to cough up matching funds for whatever the wife may demand, new kitchen, new car, winter vacation in Florida.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:44 AM   #8
Garwood

LOL, we just bought a brand new (and I do mean newly constructed) house with a 3 stall garage. She's happy in that department. Yes, I do know the work, time and money that goes into it. One club member spent almost 40k in his restoration. I know what I'll end up spending and plan on 5 to 10 years on the project. That's why I want to keep the truck so I at least have something to use as reference and something to enjoy.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:08 AM   #9
katy

Quote:
so I might end up selling the truck after a full restore is done on the coupe.
There's your clue, tell her "once the coupe is restored we'll sell the truck". Using the term "we'll" includes her in the decisions.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #10
Garwood

I make sure I'm always including her in my wording , like "I'm taking our truck to the car show this weekend". And when we talk about the coupe, I said she can pick the color and even give her a name. She laughed and said "even pink". I smiled and said Ford didn't offer pink as an option.

Speaking of color, I think I'm going to make a new thread regarding color.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:27 AM   #11
Harpkatt

Just buy the coupe "for her" then you have his and hers cars. "Why should I get rid of the truck, the coupe is your car, SURPRISE"
Harpkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:33 AM   #12
Garwood

I thought about that too. She doesn't know how to drive a stick, much less what to do with the levers and GAV/choke. My niece (18) wanted to learn but just before that weekend I was going to teach her, their college called the students back.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:58 AM   #13
JayJay

You need to tell her that while the coupe is being restored you need the pickup to drive and haul parts around. It's working for me so far...

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:04 AM   #14
Garwood

You get a thumbs up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
You need to tell her that while the coupe is being restored you need the pickup to drive and haul parts around. It's working for me so far...

JayJay

Old 06-15-2021, 11:58 AM   #15
Mulletwagon

All good suggestions - but Model A wives are wise to all of it. They just mess with us.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #16
goodcar

Quote:
LOL, we just bought a brand new (and I do mean newly constructed) house with a 3 stall garage. She's happy in that department. Yes, I do know the work, time and money that goes into it. One club member spent almost 40k in his restoration. I know what I'll end up spending and plan on 5 to 10 years on the project. That's why I want to keep the truck so I at least have something to use as reference and something to enjoy.
You have no illusions--good to go.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:12 PM   #17
Garwood

I also explained to her that people buying project cars end up losing interest after a couple years and sell it as a basket case because they don't have anything to enjoy so that's why we need to keep the truck.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:51 PM   #18
McMimmcs

put the wife to the curb. You don’t need the problems. Life is too short !
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #19
Keith True

A few years ago my friend had to get rid of his A,he couldn't drive it anymore.It hadn't been started in 5 or 6 years,so I was going to get it up and running to sell for him.I hauled it home,got it up and running,and registered it to drive around a little bit.My job was to squeeze every nickel I could out of the car for my friend.A driving car will sell easier than a non-driver.My wife and I rode around in it most every night for a while,and she liked how smooth and quiet it was.One night she said,why don't you sell the roadster and buy this car.I said that I had kind of been planning to do that.I had four A's on the road at the time.A few weeks later she said,you already bought this didn't you.Yep,I had.What I didn't tell her was that I had bought it the day I brought it home.A farmer in town gave me some advice years ago,and I have found it to be 100% accurate.He said when dealing with the town or a wife it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask permission.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:07 PM   #20
Garwood

Wow, that is a pretty good and sneaky idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
A few years ago my friend had to get rid of his A,he couldn't drive it anymore.It hadn't been started in 5 or 6 years,so I was going to get it up and running to sell for him.I hauled it home,got it up and running,and registered it to drive around a little bit.My job was to squeeze every nickel I could out of the car for my friend.A driving car will sell easier than a non-driver.My wife and I rode around in it most every night for a while,and she liked how smooth and quiet it was.One night she said,why don't you sell the roadster and buy this car.I said that I had kind of been planning to do that.I had four A's on the road at the time.A few weeks later she said,you already bought this didn't you.Yep,I had.What I didn't tell her was that I had bought it the day I brought it home.A farmer in town gave me some advice years ago,and I have found it to be 100% accurate.He said when dealing with the town or a wife it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask permission.