Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #21
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Ethanol Free 100LL

bob-A you said it all----- those WERE the days! Sunoco 260. My brother-in-law bought a new '70 Torino 429 SCJ w/ Drag Pak option soon after he got out of the Army, and it wouldn't even think of running on anything but Sunoco 260.

All the guys that ran at the Cordova Drag race track from around here always stopped by and filled up their cars w/ 260 on their way to the track. You just didn't run anything else!

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 08-11-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #22
springerpete

Each FALL WHEN THE FIRSTY SNOW FLIES AND THE ROADS ARE SALTED IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD, I FILL MY A's TANK WITH AV GAS I GET AT THE LOCAL AIRPORT. THE FOLLOWING SPRING I RUN IT OUT BEFORE GETTING THE REGULAR GAS AT MY LOCAL PUMP. I USUALLY HAVE TO RUN OUT ABOUT 9 GALLONS OR 150 MILES. CAR RUNS VERY WELL WITH AV GAS.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #23
CarlG

When I worked at an aviation repair facility, we would always use 100LL that we had drained out of aircraft (we couldn't re-use it in aircraft even if it was clean) for any of our other gas powered vehicles. Sometimes we had more than we could use up that way. It just mysterialy dissappeared.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:37 AM   #24
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
When I worked at an aviation repair facility, we would always use 100LL that we had drained out of aircraft (we couldn't re-use it in aircraft even if it was clean) for any of our other gas powered vehicles. Sometimes we had more than we could use up that way. It just mysterialy dissappeared.
Ran my car for a long time that way.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:51 AM   #25
Ted Duke

Check out:

http://pure-gas.org/

There is more of it around then you think.

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:23 PM   #26
Dick Webber

In Kentucky we are able to buy no ethanol 90 octane gas at some Marathon stations plus a local independent bulk plant. Marathon advertises it as REC gas. It is ver popular with boaters, and lawn services. My old cars love it. Last purchase was $2.62/gal
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:34 PM   #27
Rudolph

I use to run AV gas in my 1949 BSA and 73 Harley but it makes the exhaust valve seats rusty as it has a high chlorine content and it makes the exhaust rusty
Rudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:39 AM   #28
bobusnick104

Guys,
I'm part owner of a small airport. We have people coming to the self-serve pumps with gas cans to fill up. Some put it in their classic cars and hot rods and some use it for lawn equipment. I haven't put it in the A, but may consider it with a little Marvel Mystery oil. I can say one thing, 2 cycles engines sing with this fuel. It does very well for 4 cycle also. I have seen 100LL sit it an airplane for years without deteriorating. Think about this, the dry gas we used to put in the car's tank to get rid of water is actually the ethanol that's in the gas these days. It would much rather bond with water than gasoline. Thus, it pulls water from the air, and then tends to separate over time in the fuel system. That equals corrosion.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #29
5851a

I thought that white gas was just a generic term for gas without any additives, they had it at some filling stations when I was younger. My Grandfather said it was for the Coleman style farm lamps they used to use. The coleman fuel has a long shelf life.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #30
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
I thought that white gas was just a generic term for gas without any additives, they had it at some filling stations when I was younger. My Grandfather said it was for the Coleman style farm lamps they used to use. The coleman fuel has a long shelf life.
That's the same way I've always understood white gas to be.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #31
Dereksfl

WAWA sells ethanol-free gas. In Florida as long as you have an antique car with antique plates the state allows you to filler up. The price is slightly above the cost of diesel or premium. the 30 A loves it.
Dereksfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:41 PM   #32
charlesea

Google the following & you will find where there are ethanol free gas in your state. I just tried it in Pa. & Ala. Ethanol free gas in ______________
Charles
charlesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:05 PM   #33
Fordors

What many are over looking is that where air pollution is a problem, like larger metropolitan areas for example, state governors can petition the Federal EPA for a mandate that only E10, E15 and E85 be available. Naturally one might find 110 octane race gas with it's high cost, or AV gas but in Illinois most airports are shy about selling for automotive use because the motor fuel tax for highway use hasn't been paid.
Ted Duke mentioned more ethanol free being around than we think. That may be true where he's from but even looking at the five largest cities in Virginia shows none available.