Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2021, 01:21 AM   #61
GB SISSON

Default Re: '40 front fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I have been enjoying some trucks on FTE and I posted a couple of pics of the for'yota. Can't remember his name on FTE, but he has a pristine MH merc woodie. He suggested a body something like this, and I was smitten! I love the '38 -'39 in this pic (note factory cowl). But how about a command car since I want a back seat for the grandkids? I found some pics of the one that was auctioned off as General Patton's command car. Spare on the side. I can't for the life of me bring a pic of that one up. I'm sure someone here can. Easy windshield, flat plate body work, AND no doors to build. Probably some hinged bars of 1 x 2 1/2 square tube, like on the ferris wheel. I have been convinced to start the thread on FTE. Work continues slowly, but this photo may speed me up. Pete, you gotta blow this pic up. It's so cool!
The deeper I get, the more that photo of the '38 military rig haunts me. I have now completed the brakes except for bleeding (tomorrow). I have built 'cab' floor framing from square tubing, mostly 1 1/2" and 2". Then a 3/4 " plywood cab floor bolted down, but in two easily removed sections. Mounts went in this afternoon for some '67 landcruiser fj 40 seats I had. Plain, squarish and pretty muck like willys jeep issue. I have the bed that came on the pickup that became the woodie mounted on a trailer and has been covered by a canopy. Box is nice, well for this thing it is. I have a nice '40 tailgate but it's too narrow, so I have to find a 42-47 type. The rear fenders should be cut bigger for these 33" diameter tires. All my 1/2 ton pickup fenders are pretty shot so I won't feel bad. I know I wanted something with a back seat for the grandkids, but heck the woodie has a back seat. This box is way easierf. And no doors to mess with. So I guess I'm building something pretty close to the pic of that 38. We'll see what happens. I think you can see the bed behind the vehicle. Not a great photo, sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foyota and bed.JPG (105.1 KB, 25 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:44 AM   #62
flatford8

Good to see your still picking away at it!!......you’ll have it ready for Mud Season!!!....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:37 PM   #63
GB SISSON

I have been working on changing over to this 1/2 ton pickup box. My wife thinks the grandkids will whack their heads on the bomb hoist. I say they gotta learn to duck. Made this sketch up this morning at about 4:30. I couldn't sleep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg box and hoist.jpg (73.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Latest 1.jpg (50.0 KB, 16 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 03-05-2021, 05:06 PM   #64
Mart

When they hit their heads, you can say "That's why they call it a boom".
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:43 PM   #65
GB SISSON

Jibe Ho! Duck for that boom. After work my kid pulled the 1/2 ton bed off that tonner trailer with the forklift. Then he hit the road (being Friday).... So I pulled the fenders without breaking a bolt on either side. Map gas and PB blaster (love the smell). I was really surprised by the great condition of the metal. It was one of five jailbar trucks I hauled off a place six years ago on the dry Eastern side of the state. This was the box off the pickup I cut up to build my woodie. The gift that keeps on giving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dry trailer.jpg (81.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg truckbed1.jpg (54.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg truckbed2.jpg (80.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg truckbed3.jpg (81.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 07-25-2021, 03:18 PM   #66
GB SISSON

My seven year old granddaughter and me returning home from setting the crab pots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pops and KK in blue truck.jpg (96.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 07-26-2021, 11:13 AM   #67
Als48

That's a very cool rear shot with your Grandaughter.
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote