Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
toms32

Default 1956 Thunderbird Original power brake Booster

Hi Guys ! I have a 1956 T Bird and I purchased an original power brake booster which I know bolts to the drivers side inner fender. My question however is I am not sure how to hook it up to the engine and dual master cylinder I installed only in that I have disc brakes on the front. The rest of the car is original other than A/C . if some one has some photos or a diagram that they used it would be most appreciated . I looked for a U tube on line but i did not see anything Thanks Tom
toms32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:31 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: 1956 Thunderbird Original power brake Booster

image 1 - the fitting on the rear of a '56 carburetor where the vacuum source is obtained to connect to the check valve on the vacuum diaphragm of the booster,

image 2 - diagram of the original brake line plumbing with a power brake booster.

image 3 - diagram of the power brake booster plumbing with a Dual Bowl master cylinder. The larger half of the master cyl is plumbed to the booster and front wheels.
The smaller MC bowl is connected to the rear wheel cyls.

image 4 - a stock power brake booster mounted to the fender-well in a '55. (before cleaning & painting)
The large black rubber hose from the check valve on the booster diaphragm connects to the vacuum source on a '56 carburetor, or intake manifold vacuum if you have a different carb & intake manif setup.

FYI, if it's helpful, partway down the page at this link is an Install Directions button that opens a disc brake installation / instructions document.
https://www.classictbird.com/Front-D...ductinfo/DISC/

If your disc brake kit did not come with some replacement rear brake hardware to balance them with the new front Discs a Combination / Proportioning Valve is most likely needed and the plumbing will be different to accommodate it. Contact vendor that supplied the disc brake kit you have.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56 carb vac fitting.jpg (32.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg power brake diagram.jpg (46.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg dual MC power brake diagram.jpg (47.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg brake booster, before c.jpg (84.2 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-17-2021 at 11:49 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:33 PM   #3
dmsfrr

I forgot to mention... keep an eye on the brake fluid level in the master cylinder. If the vacuum seals fail in the used booster it can suck the fluid out of the master cylinder, with a corresponding loss of braking.

Here's a link to a booster rebuilder. there are likely others as well...
https://whitepost.com/brake-sleeving...ding-services/

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-18-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:12 PM   #4
paul2748

I have seen it recommended that the power booster be connected to the front brakes only when going to a dual master cylinder
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:52 PM   #5
cokefirst

The Ford and Thunderbird power brake boosters were made by Midland. They sold their left over stock to Karps Power Brake in Upland Ca. He has what is left over of their new inventory and can rebuild your brake unit to like new. He does them for one of the major Thunderbird parts suppliers and I have had him do two for me with excellent results.
cokefirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:26 PM   #6
miker98038

This is from memory, when I put the disc brakes and power booster on my 55 bird in early 1999. I bought the disc/power conversion from someone in the mid west. They retired and another (possibly Hill's) bought them.

The disc dual master mounted as most conversions do. The booster mounted to the fender as you say. It only powered the front disc. I do not remember it having either a combination valve or a rear brake proportioning valve. I don't remember if it had different rear wheel cylinders, but I know some kits do. It's to match the rear braking to the front.

It all worked quite well, but keeping the rear brakes adjusted was mandatory. Know then what I know now I would have fitted the rear brake self adjusting parts to the rears, maybe added a rear proportioning valve and left well enough alone.

If you need more info about the front calipers and rotor, rear shoes, etc. ask. I'll tell you what I remember.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:13 AM   #7
Fortunateson

I have that booster waiting to go into my '56 Meteor Rideau Victoria. I was wondering about adding a dual MC. So I could do it but only run the booster to the front, correct?
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:48 PM   #8
paul2748

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunateson View Post
I have that booster waiting to go into my '56 Meteor Rideau Victoria. I was wondering about adding a dual MC. So I could do it but only run the booster to the front, correct?
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:46 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Question Re: 1956 Thunderbird Original power brake Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunateson View Post

Are you using all wheel drum or front disc?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:55 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Question Re: 1956 Thunderbird Original power brake Booster

It would be interesting to see (to me) how a dual reservoir MC install went with a MIDLAND BOOSTER on a four wheel drum car turned out with only boost assist on the front drums.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:38 AM   #11
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
It would be interesting to see (to me) how a dual reservoir MC install went with a MIDLAND BOOSTER on a four wheel drum car turned out with only boost assist on the front drums.
I'd say the system will be a bit out of balance,
but don't know how much of a problem it would be in actual use.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-18-2021 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-18-2021, 12:03 PM   #12
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1956 Thunderbird Original power brake Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

I'd say the system will a bit out of balance, but don't know how much of a problem it would be in actual use.
I'd say a whole lot out of balance. Just wondering if anyone was brave enough to try it. You would have to install valving to overcome the front brake aggressiveness.

- DISCLAIMER -