Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2011, 12:38 AM   #21
gavin m

Default Re: "Death wobble

I would double check that the brackets will fit the 32 axle first but for me personally they look a touch overkill and also not a very pretty thing to have clamped around the axle.

You don't actually have to attach anything to the axle, you can mount the one end to the tie rod with a simple tie rod clamp and the other can be mounted off the wishbone. I couldn't do this with my setup as it a spring behind axle front end so ended up making a bracket that comes off the front crossmember. It's not the ideal place for it but it it is more hidden there and has worked fine for two years now.
gavin m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #22
tiger.1000

This morning I fitted the dog-bone links with new rubber bushes. On driving there seemed to be a noticable improvement but at the first bump in the road the shimmy set in but was not as severe as it was previously. This weekend I plan to reverse the wheels from front to back and see if there is a balancing or tyre issue.

Currently there are no balance weights on the wheels and indeed never have been for the past thirty years. This is an "overnight" problem......
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #23
tiger.1000

This evening reversed the wheels from front to rear, Interstingly after the swap I checked the tyre pressures. 26psi in the front and 32psi in the rear.

I did find a just detectable uneveness in the passenger rear tyre tread ?Was this the culprit?

Out for a test drive and GUESS WHAT ? No wheel wobble....

Whilst removing the passenger side rear wheel I noticed that the shock absorber link was rattling around on the square.....! Another job but suspect not related to the wobble
Old 07-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #24
Mart

Very interesting - will you test a little more just to make sure it's gone, and then swap back to see if the wobble comes back?

Being able to turn the problem off and on would be great for finding the source.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:45 AM   #25
tiger.1000

Thanks Mart,

Tonight it's 35 psi in all four and another trial run......I'll keep you informed.
Keith says you're a good guy!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #26
John Kennedy

I know there's no definitive answer to this, but just how bent can a rim be to cause the Wobble?
The average wheel when balanced properly always has a bit of imperfection to it.

Reason I ask: I reversed my steel wheels and did a pretty damn good job keeping them straight as possible before welding them up. I hope they're good enough.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #27
1931 flamingo

I don't think a "slightly" bent wheel or a home reversed wheel is the cause. Usually it's a combination or worn parts in strg box, tie rod ends, wishbone ball, caster/camber, toe-in. Just my opinion.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:09 AM   #28
tiger.1000

MYSTERY ! this morning I checked tyre pressures again. Previous gauge was fauty. They are all 35psi.....

I've replaced all of the dog-bone link rubbers. Having said that the new repro ones seem to be about 1/8" smaller in diameter than the ones I removed. I cut up an old bicycle inner tube and used some of that as packing; then off I went. Drove about 10 miles....

NO WOBBLE !

So to reiterate.....I replaced all of the dog-bone rubbers...(front and rear) and changed the wheels from front to back.

If I have a cure it's good to know it was as simple as that.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice