Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2018, 08:36 AM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Do ALL banjo rearends require a hub puller to remove the brake drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
I may just buy a puller. I love tools. What do you think about this design they sell on ebay?

You've got a bunch of old geezers here with a hell of a lot of 'real world' experience when it comes to gettin' these drums off in one piece, UNDAMAGED, and fit to be re-used. This is one of the very few subjects (when it comes to old Fords) that has but ONE, definitive solution. That little thingie you see on eBay is a joke when it comes to a really-tight, properly-installed drum. Do yourself a huge favor....bite the bullet and get the real deal. DD

winfield tool works
1-631-928-3316
p.o.box 476
port jefferson n.y. 11777
hub puller

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:49 AM   #22
KGS

Default Re: Do ALL banjo rearends require a hub puller to remove the brake drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
You've got a bunch of old geezers here with a hell of a lot of 'real world' experience when it comes to gettin' these drums off in one piece, UNDAMAGED, and fit to be re-used. This is one of the very few subjects (when it comes to old Fords) that has but ONE, definitive solution. That little thingie you see on eBay is a joke when it comes to a really-tight, properly-installed drum. Do yourself a huge favor....bite the bullet and get the real deal. DD

winfield tool works
1-631-928-3316
p.o.box 476
port jefferson n.y. 11777
hub puller

What DD said times two!
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:32 AM   #23
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
I may just buy a puller. I love tools. What do you think about this design they sell on ebay?
Don't waste your money on that one. Find a Winfield or another name brand that's available now, that looks and works as well as the Winfield or the original KRW. If I can find the info on that one, I'll add it here later.

http://www.vintageprecision.com/prod...ers/index.html

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 06-27-2018 at 05:11 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #24
34pickup

OK, thanks for the advice.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:11 PM   #25
Karl Wolf

Quote:
Buy the Winfield tool. Your Ebay one might work. The Winfield tool WILL work

.Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:38 PM   #26
Tinker

I've used a model A puller on a few 30s fords with no issue from snyder's. Flush up the axle nut on the axle to keep things from going mush also. I had it and it worked. Just a thought.

The one you posted looks like it'll work fine, if it clutches the slot in the drum and you keep the axle nut flush to the axle end. its all a proper krw tool does.

some more...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...5686&showall=1

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthrea...8518&showall=1

You wont ever never regret buying the right tool ever never. I also know you couldn't go wrong with mac vp's offer. super nice option. i'd seriously consider. You don't want to make this a 1k problem or more.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-27-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #27
RalphM

All this talk about pullers made me decide to go ahead and purchase the best, ( I’ve had cheap ones fail) hub puller available.
I was disheartened to call the Winfield tool works phone number I found in one of my older V8 times magazines, only to find that they had shut down and are no longer making these fine tools.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #28
grumppyoldman

After going through all the hell of removing the hubs, I bought the hubs and drums thst will come off seperately. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:35 AM   #29
51woodie

Go to Vintage Precision Inc in Benicia CA. Their puller kit is excellent. I purchased one for my '46 and was happy to have it. The P/N is VP-FHP1, and the price (well worth it) is $125.00. It comes in a nice plastic case.
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:15 PM   #30
34pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post
After going through all the hell of removing the hubs, I bought the hubs and drums thst will come off seperately. Al

Woo hoo! Am I lucky. I just now got around to working on the back and low and behold, the drums come off separate from the hub. Talk about luck, I need to go buy a lottery ticket. Are these aftermarket or just a late change by the factory?
Old 06-29-2018, 07:48 PM   #31
RalphM

I think someone’s been in there before, studs are swadged to drum, unless they have been changed and not reswaged
Old 06-29-2018, 08:56 PM   #32
34pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
I think someone’s been in there before, studs are swadged to drum, unless they have been changed and not reswaged
Yes, someone has. the studs are flopping around. I will need to secure them to the hub before I put it all back together, can't have the studs falling back into the pit.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:42 AM   #33
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Yes, someone has. the studs are flopping around. I will need to secure them to the hub before I put it all back together, can't have the studs falling back into the pit.

That's because the PROPER-sized studs (correct diameter) for a press-fit are difficult (if not impossible) to find without resorting to reaming the five original holes in the hubs to a compatible size that will accommodate an available stud of the correct diameter AND length. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:42 AM   #34
RalphM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51woodie View Post
Go to Vintage Precision Inc in Benicia CA. Their puller kit is excellent. I purchased one for my '46 and was happy to have it. The P/N is VP-FHP1, and the price (well worth it) is $125.00. It comes in a nice plastic case.
Is this tool as good a quality as the Winfield tool?
Old 06-30-2018, 10:46 AM   #35
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
Is this tool as good a quality as the Winfield tool?
Yes

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 10-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #36
chopnchaneled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
It is possible to have removable drums without the hubs, if you want.
I know this is an old post, But wanted to bring it back up as would like to know
what is involved in doing this?
"Having the brake drum removed with out pulling the hub on the rear"?
TKS
chopnchaneled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:24 PM   #37
john in illinois

Boling Bros- MT car makes hubs and detachable drums.

http://www.mtcarproducts.com/productsgrid.html

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:38 PM   #38
JM 35 Sedan

If you go with separate hub & drum assemblies, it does make servicing the brakes a lot easier, however, if/when you need to take the complete rear apart, you will still need a puller to remove the hub from the tapered axle, unless the axle nut has not been torqued to spec.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:40 PM   #39
Tinker

Think rear hubs is 180 lbs? If they are loose you will do damage. Anything torqued that much and is 40+ yrs old is going to be hard to remove.

Puller really makes it easy.

Last edited by Tinker; 10-25-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:22 AM   #40
grumppyoldman

Just a reminder, when putting the hub on the axle,make sure the rounded off end of the square key is down and towards the inboard direction. If installed wrong the hub will not run true. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote