Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #1
tubman

Default "Big Brass Condensers" now available

I know most of you guys are on the H.A.M.B. occasionally and have probably seen this. I thought I'd post it here for those who haven't. I just finished a second run of 10 of these because of the demand for them. I have about 20 of these out between pre-production prototypes and my first production run of 10. So far, everyone who has one has given me positive feedback.

"When I was 16 in 1958, the first piece of "Speed equipment" I bought for my '51 Ford V8 was a dual point conversion setup. Because the second set of points took the space where the stock condenser was, the kit came with a "Big Brass Condenser" that mounted on the outside of the distributor. It didn't have the visual impact of a set of finned heads or a dual carb setup, but you could open the hood and there was something there to look at and impress your buddies.

Ever since then, I've had a real liking for these "Big Brass Condensers", and even managed to obtain a couple over the years. Lately though, they have been increasingly difficult to find and quite expensive. Well, if you can't buy 'em, why not make your own? I have spent the last summer working with my neighbor, who is an electrical engineer, to do just that. I think we have come up with a unit that looks good, and more importantly, is quite a bit more reliable than what is currently available. We have extensively tested them, both on the road and in the shop. High temperature, vibration, and transient high voltage feedback seem to be the enemy of regular condensers, and we have addressed all three factors. These condensers are rated at 330 nano farads up to 630 Volts, and are good for up to 247 degrees Fahrenheit. Some of our initial units failed because of overheating problems, so we have stepped up to the highest temperature rating we could find. We have tested them in my powder coating oven at 300 degrees for 3 days and have not had any failures. I am currently running them on my cars with conventional ignition.

Some of the components had to be purchased in quantity and I have a lot of time invested in this project. Therefore, I would like the opportunity to share these with members of the rodding community, and perhaps get a little of my initial investment back. If anyone is interested, please PM me, as I currently have an extra ten units that I would sell. I am asking $60 each, plus shipping. The only variance from the old time units is that the bottom of these are made to be removable, allowing the capacitor inside to be replaced, in the unlikely event one should fail.

Here are a couple of pictures of the unit, as well as one installed on the converted SBC distributor in my '51 Merc engine."

If anyone is interested, please PM me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap1.jpg (28.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg cap2.jpg (28.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg cap3.jpg (74.4 KB, 99 views)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: "Big Brass Condensers" now available

Nice.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote