Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
36 conv sedan

Default 1930 Ford A Standard roadster. What is NOT correct?

Hi guys:

I just got a 1930 Ford A Standard roadster, to replace a 1930-31 that I have that had some adapted things, like juice brakes, 12 volts, and parts from different types and models and which I will now be selling. In other words, it is a sort of trade... I get a better car, still with mechanical brakes, with it's original engine (dated Oct 1930) as stated in it's original invoice, so I am glad it is a number's matching car. And in the end, this one will be more correct and also cheaper to restore.

However, the car is far from perfect, and has had some changes throughout it's life. For instance, it now has 21" wheels, which I understand are correct for 1928-29.

I would like to find out answers to some doubts I have on it, for instance:

The front bumper looks too flat. Is it supposed to be this way?

The rear bumpers would appear to be older... am I correct?

There is two taillights... were they offered that way optionally or would it be after market?

And of course, I am wanting to find out what I need to get in order to restore it correctly. I know of course of headlight reflector, headlight lenses, a set of 19" wheels, hubcaps, fuel cap, radiator cap (though I was given a thermometer to install) and surely tons of minor bits...

I would appreciate any opinions as to what is not correct on the car, as I can probably get some of the parts from my other car prior to selling it, and then only look for what I really don't have.

Pics attached.

Thanks for any help and opinions!
victor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17.03, 1930 Ford A Standard roadster, vmg (1).jpg (75.1 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg 17.03, 1930 Ford A Standard roadster, vmg (3).jpg (73.0 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg 17.03, 1930 Ford A Standard roadster, vmg (5).jpg (104.0 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg 17.03, 1930 Ford A Standard roadster, vmg (14).jpg (64.8 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg 17.03, 1930 Ford A Standard roadster, vmg (32).jpg (92.0 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg 17.03, 1930 Ford A Standard roadster, vmg (19).jpg (65.3 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg 17.03, 1930 Ford A Standard roadster, vmg (42).jpg (47.9 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg 17.03, 1930 Ford A Standard roadster, vmg (40).jpg (61.9 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg 17.03, 1930 Ford A Standard roadster, vmg (24).jpg (32.8 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg 17.03, 1930 Ford A Standard roadster, vmg (26).jpg (51.3 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg 17.03, 1930 Ford A Standard roadster, vmg (21).jpg (56.1 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg 17.03, 1930 Ford A Standard roadster, vmg (49).jpg (64.1 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg 17.03, 1930 Ford A Standard roadster, vmg (57).jpg (73.1 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg 17.03, 1930 Ford A Standard roadster, vmg (64).jpg (74.6 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg 17.03, 1930 Ford A Standard roadster, vmg (53).jpg (71.0 KB, 251 views)
36 conv sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
SGT in Ont.

Default Re: 1930 Ford A Standard roadster. What is NOT correct?

The front bumper does look flat, maybe 28-29 bumper brackets are installed. Rear bumpers are from a 28-29. Something weird about the light switch/horn rod, it should be down more recessed into the steering wheel. If it was me, I'd be getting rid of that copper fuel line and getting a proper steel one from one of the parts vendors. Have fun with it.
SGT in Ont. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36 conv sedan View Post
Hi guys:

I just got a 1930 Ford A Standard roadster, to replace a 1930-31 that I have that had some adapted things, like juice brakes, 12 volts, and parts from different types and models and which I will now be selling. In other words, it is a sort of trade... I get a better car, still with mechanical brakes, with it's original engine (dated Oct 1930) as stated in it's original invoice, so I am glad it is a number's matching car. And in the end, this one will be more correct and also cheaper to restore.

However, the car is far from perfect, and has had some changes throughout it's life. For instance, it now has 21" wheels, which I understand are correct for 1928-29.

I would like to find out answers to some doubts I have on it, for instance:

The front bumper looks too flat. Is it supposed to be this way?

The rear bumpers would appear to be older... am I correct?

There is two taillights... were they offered that way optionally or would it be after market?

And of course, I am wanting to find out what I need to get in order to restore it correctly. I know of course of headlight reflector, headlight lenses, a set of 19" wheels, hubcaps, fuel cap, radiator cap (though I was given a thermometer to install) and surely tons of minor bits...

I would appreciate any opinions as to what is not correct on the car, as I can probably get some of the parts from my other car prior to selling it, and then only look for what I really don't have.

Pics attached.

Thanks for any help and opinions!
victor
Hey Victor,
Well , no did not come with TWO tail lights.
The rear bumpers appear to be '29 type.
I don't believe that the standard came with cowl lights, but may be wrong there. That radiator 'guard' was not standard equipment.
Yeah, wheels should be 19".
Front bumper appears correct type.
Of course engine in not correct color and carb air think is not standard, among other things, like fuel line.
Screws holding dash in are not standard.
Don't know what that thing is coming out of firewall above the fuel bowl ?
Extra holes in dash ?

Would you mind showing a picture(s) of your other A that you do not like ?

Last edited by hardtimes; 03-10-2017 at 01:51 PM. Reason: ..........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #4
36 conv sedan

Thanks guys...

Idea is to fully restore this car as correctly as possible. That will include of course the correct parts, including fuel lines, fuel valve, and any mechanical components needed.

Here are a few pics of the car I will sell... but before I do, it may donate some parts to the 1930 car I want to restore.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #5
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36 conv sedan View Post
Thanks guys...

Idea is to fully restore this car as correctly as possible. That will include of course the correct parts, including fuel lines, fuel valve, and any mechanical components needed.

Here are a few pics of the car I will sell... but before I do, it may donate some parts to the 1930 car I want to restore.
Wow, very nice !
Except for that battery/holder in engine bay, IMO, it is a winner.
Maybe engine would go into new acquisition too ? Or always good idea to have a 'spare' engine handy.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
russcochiolo

Ya gotta git the MARC/MAFCA Standards
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Both cars have several things that need to be corrected if you are shooting for points. Are you selling and buying because you think this other car will be less work to make it correct?

The nice thing is both cars look very drivable while the corrections are made. That glow-green needs to go. Also why is the belt so low in the fan pulley? That fan would really be spinning with such a small diameter where the belt is riding now, on the new car. Looks like you have a Delco generator, which will be easy to replace with a correct Model A Autolite style.

Yes, a few books will go a long way to help make everything correct.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #8
denniskliesen

I don't see a battery disconnect or fuse anywhere, but that doesn't mean they aren't there
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #9
WTSHNN

Another vote for getting the Standards.

http://model-a-ford.org/products-pag...s-and-indexes/

-Tim
Old 03-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #10
1930artdeco

Hi Victor,

The front bumper should have an arc to it. I think that one is a repo. I am also of the opinion that cowl lights were not standard on a standard coupe. However, they may have been ordered or added later to dress it up.

Mike
Old 03-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #11
BudP

That fan does not look safe. I downloaded a picture of the engine bay and enlarged it to verify my suspicions:and, the fan appears to have bad metal along the top edges near the hub.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:20 AM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

WOW! How much info is available, SO quickly! You Guys are ALRIGHT DUDES!!!!
Bill Amazed
Old 03-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #13
Steve_Mack_CT

Wow, not too different from our early 30 standard. Ours has cowl lights and DSM, no way to know for sure if original but no mount on rear for a spare. My thoughts are a earlier car might be more apt to be dressed a bit as deluxe was not available. Since I have a later engine, I am still on fence with how faithful the eventual restoration will be. Maroon, btw was not a standard color according to what I have read.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170106_132733.jpg (90.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 03-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #14
Jeff/Illinois

Victor, both cars are nice little Model A's. You can 'tweak' the new ride a bit at a time as your budget allows, you'll have a nice Roadster. The John Deere green engine paint kinda shocks you when you lift the hood, you can change that will a little prep. I know a guy that painted his motor silver on his Coupe, why I don't know looks kinda weird. Going to all that trouble a quart of Bill Hirsch Ford Engine Green and some black on the correct parts makes it look a lot better.

Nice car to work with let us know how you come out.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #15
Barry B./ Ma.

I would redo the black top (yours doesn't look like it fits well) and paint the top arms black for a starter then concentrate down from there. I had a late 30 roadster and it had cowl lights that could have been a dealer added acccessory at the time, I used mine as front directionals.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #16
jm29henry

My option would go over the mechanics do the repairs To make it safe and reliable to drive and enjoy and the cosmetic thing can be done as you go along enjoy your new car
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #17
Dick Carne

Congratulations on your new find! First, let me say that you have two very nice cars, and either would be a welcomed addition to any Model A guy's garage. You mentioned that it is your intent to restore your new acquisition, which depending upon your definition of "restoration", would typically correct a number of items already mentioned, such as extra holes, improper screws, curtain snaps, etc. You already know about improper headlight lenses and reflectors, bumpers and bumper arms, and wheels, and I am sure that you may find other subtleties as well once your project is started. However, as far as changing out small pieces, I'm not sure of much else that might be easily "swapped" without jeopardizing the value of your donor car (e.g. wheels). It did appear that you might have a late '31 exhaust manifold on your new arrival, but from the picture, I could not tell for certain. Other than that, I'm not sure of what other items might be easy swaps. Good luck regardless with your new venture. Either way, you certainly have two very nice cars.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #18
Charlie Stephens

My advice would be to get rid of the cowl lights. Although they could have been added by a dealer in my opinion a restored standard car should have as little "bling" as possible. It looks like the cowl band needs to be repaired where the cowl lights were installed. I would also guess that they are a reproduction but it is hard to tell from the photo. Remember that your headlight reflectors should have two bulbs if you decide to go without the cowl lights. Also be sure to buy your headlight reflectors from Bratton's Ford Parts, (301) 829-9880.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:50 AM   #19
Dollar Bill

What is NOT correct?

In addition to what others have already pointed out:

The carb should be Zenith vice Marvel.

Running board covering and trim have been modified.

Back window support, above deck lid should be 4 rubber dots/bumps.

Good luck with your project!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #20
36 conv sedan

Thank you all for your opinions. I am travelling now but will check the car with more detail next week.

I always like things back to as original as possible, and to do them in the best possible way, trying to maintain original things as much as I can. No concours with high points in mind... Just restore properly and use and enjoy.

Thanks again,
victor