Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2020, 02:16 AM   #21
flatheadmurre

Default Re: Dealing with the heirs on '32 parts ect.

The price on the part here depends on the guy bying it...you come here with a sixpack and treating me and my junk with a bit of respect the price is right !
You tell me my rusted dented almost useless part is just worth 2c you are heading home emptyhanded or paying a ridiculous amount for it.
Usually if you just take some time and read people...you can come to an agreement booth are happy with...common sense and respect just seems to be less common today..
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:19 AM   #22
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post

My gosh, You have quite literally stated what I have been practicing for the past ten years or so.
I figure my wife will have her hands full enough when I pass. And, as such doesn't need the additional burden of sorting, making calls, listing, etc. I have pared my collection down a lot in the past ten years. Nine cars are no longer here as well as a small warehouse of parts - all gone. The money from those sales is mostly invested for our (her) long term future and well, a couple of investment grade sports cars
Some stuff that I want to look at until I die, I have marked with the date and realistic current market value. Even if these things lose their entire value, we don't care. They bring me enjoyment - future value loss be damned.
I have identified nearly all of my parts.
Yeah, I figure if I check out soon, at least there's some reasonable order around here.
I've been in this hobby for 51 years and have seen many a widow ripped off. That's one reason I've prepared the way I have. The other? I love my wife very much and want her life after me to be as good as possible.
All of those cars and parts have bought her some very nice horses and will no doubt buy more.
This is interesting. A friend's father passed recently. He had a very nice, kind of rare Ford that my friend turned into a extremely nice resto rod.

Back in the '90's, someone offered my friend's dad $100K for the car at a car show. He was not ready to sell it.

Fast forward to 2018, the wife thinks the car is worth $100K when, in fact, the car has reduced in value due to market trends. It took a lot of work for my buddy to convince his mom the car is no longer worth $100K.

It created a lot of tension for them in a period of mourning.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:04 AM   #23
richard crow

a lot of guys offer money for cars at swap meets when you tell them ok give me the money they disaper talk is cheap.i have guys saying they want this or that & never show up
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:58 AM   #24
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
One of my dear friends of 41 years who was a MAJOR 32 collector died 5 years ago. I knew his nephew was to inherit all the cars (28 of them) and all the parts (he bought out 3 dealerships in the 60s) After having a good heart to heart talk with him, he told me who he wanted to be the first dealer in to buy parts, he also gave me a "do not sell to this person parts under any circumstances list" because he knew they would be sitting in the rain. His nephew knew he trusted me and I promised him before he passed that I would make sure they didn't sell a 32 distributor for $20 because it looks just like a 33-36 to most people. I knew his prices on parts as I helped run his swap meet stalls for at least 30 years. So I have been keeping my word to my departed friend now as I helped sell many of the cars, and we have been having sales where the parts are stored. There are still many parts left and until that location sells, I will keep having sales for the nephew.
In this way, I feel I am still helping my friend who I think of every day. Over the years I painted 5 cars for him. I feel good about what I am doing because I am keeping my promise and it never feel like this is a burden even though I live 100 miles from where the parts are. I also up to this point anyway, am keeping the parts in the hands of those who can use them instead of the scrap dealer.

Think ahead folks, have a plan and it doesn't have to be a nightmare story which unfortunately happens all too often when people with no idea inherit this stuff.

Unfortunately I knew of him for many years but actually only knew him less than the last 10 years of his life. What a great person with a wealth of knowledge he was, and very humble too. He was a neat guy and I miss him too Mike
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:13 AM   #25
DavidG

It has been so long ago that I don't recall how my path crossed Bill's. Perhaps it was through Jim Davis (RIP) in Portland, but in any event, Mike, your post brings back a lot of fond memories. Thank you for your ongoing assistance to his family. Bill was a great guy who freely shared his experience and knowledge and who was a major contributor to the V8 Club's 1932 Ford book. May he continue to rest in peace.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:46 AM   #26
BoxCar Tom

Along the lines of this thread and keep in mind Im not a vulture, I still have some moral fiber a few scruples and a smidgeon of ethic's AND I have more than enough 32 Ford parts. Im wondering how Bruce Lancaster's family is doing with his collection?
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #27
rotorwrench

I hope I'm rid of my parts pile by the time I keel over but it's doubtful I will be. Health and family (I consider good friends family) are a lot more precious to me than a lot of material stuff. If I can help my friends & family before I go then I will but we don't always have a say in the matter. All this material junk will be gone anyway at some point in the future. I hope my pile will do someone I know and care about some good but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #28
tubman

When you have the amount of stuff most of us have, making lists or detail notes can be overwhelming. What I did was purchase a box of the manilla cardboard tags with the wires for attaching. When I have a bit of time on my hands, I attach one of these tags to a part with a number on it. I have a master key list for the numbers. You can also add a short note on the back, if necessary.

1 - Nothing special, but worthy of a tag.
2 - Common, but might appeal to a number of people for a decent price.
3 - A part that may be in high demand or worth more than you might think
4 - A part that is either hard to find or worth quite a bit.
5 - A part that deserves some real consideration because it's something special.

Obviously, if something doesn't have a tag, it's not much. Attaching the tags is quick and easy, and because of their construction, are quite sturdy. I usually have a pen or marker in my pocket, and once in a while, I will see something that seems out of category, so I'll take 5 seconds and cross out the old number and add a new one. I have talked to my daughter (who is the executor of my will) and, believe me, she doesn't want to waste a lot of time disposing of the old man's crap. I want to make it as easy for her as I can. (I have already gotten rid of a lot of stuff, and the rate of divestiture will certainly rise in the future.)

Unfortunately, I don't have any "5"'s (yet).
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #29
slowforty

On the other hand we never consider what happens if the spouse dies first. My wife died 8 years ago. I had to get used to having NO Supervision, and there is actually some extra Cash around. That happens when there is only one person spending your money.
I have stuff I set down 7 years ago and no one has asked,"What is is?,Why is it there?,
OR when are you going to move it?. Lots of Dust around the house too. Only bought one more car, A 63 Buick Electra with Freezing Air conditioning. Girlfriend appreciates the AC.
Interestingly enough dating 50 years later is ok because i know most of the answers but forgot the questions.
Sorry for hijacking this thread but it brought up some thoughts.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #30
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Tom View Post
Along the lines of this thread and keep in mind Im not a vulture, I still have some moral fiber a few scruples and a smidgeon of ethic's AND I have more than enough 32 Ford parts. Im wondering how Bruce Lancaster's family is doing with his collection?
Tom:

I thinking about this too. Last time I was with Bruce, his car was full of stuff from two Hershey's prior. I can only imagine what his homes look like. From what I gather, organization was not a strength of his.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 03-04-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:33 PM   #31
wisbangman

This is such an interesting subject ! First off, it comes up with many, many items, not just cars and parts. Almost any thing that is collectible. I believe that unless you are a dealer or semi dealer, quite often, what you paid for a part will probably be the most that part is ever going to sell for. In most cases, when you bought the part, it was bought from someone who went to a lot of trouble marketing, advertising and displaying the stuff. Unless you do the same [ dealer or, semi dealer, ] in order to get the ' best price ' for your stuff, you will have to go through, what he did, to sell it to you! So now comes the time when you leave this world. In many cases, YOU didn't get into the parts swap selling business, so how can you expect your wife, son, daughter, or best friend to do so? If you are really worried about the money side of your stuff, you better get busy now, but you probably didn't want to do it 20 years ago, so what makes you think that you are going to get out there now, when you are 20 years older, with more aches and pains? This situation has been going on forever. It all gets sorted out one way or another. YOUR treasures came to you and they, eventually will leave you. My guess, for most of us, we did not get into the car stuff to " make a lot of money. We got into it because we got a lot of enjoyment out of it and made new friends. There are many things we could have spent our time and money on that we would not have to worry about a ' return ' among the many are travel , booze, xtra women etc. When we leave, the stuff will get sorted out. I have some trusted car friends. I tell my wife, that if there is stuff left I am sure she can get some help, one way or the other in finding a home for the stuff. I know that I won't be taking any of with me when I leave! What am I worried about? that at 76, I will be able to somewhat enjoy my time left with out stewing about finding all of the ways to make my departure perfect for everyone, in every way.
wisbangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #32
tubman

Well said "wisbangman". I am going through the process now of disposing of my late girlfriend's (of 38 years) stuff. Believe me, with few exceptions, he is right about the stuff being of it's highest value the day it was originally purchased. I am finding out that good jewelry sells for about 20 to 30 cents on the dollar, and most collectibles aren't. I'm currently trying to separate the sheep from the goats. One thing about being old with time on your hands is that you can spend some time sitting at the computer doing a little research and putting the better stuff on eBay, Craig's List etc.

Oh yeah "wisbangman"; tell me more about the "xtra women".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #33
woodiewagon46

We should all be honest in telling our heirs what our accumulated "stuff" is worth. For example in the early '70s I picked up an absolutely mint '32 grill shell and insert. It was in the trunk of a Model A Ford that I purchased. It is probably one of the nicest Deuce grill shells I have ever seen. It has been hanging on my garage wall since I have owned it. When my two sons and I roam the aisles at HERSHEY, I always stop when I see a Deuce shell for sale and inquire about the price. Some of the prices are just insane and I'm sure the vendor is just fishing for his price to be taken. I let my son's both know what I think the realistic value of it is and if someone really needs it and gives you a fair offer, take it.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #34
DavidG

Wise counsel.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:08 PM   #35
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
On the other hand we never consider what happens if the spouse dies first. My wife died 8 years ago. I had to get used to having NO Supervision, and there is actually some extra Cash around. That happens when there is only one person spending your money.
I have stuff I set down 7 years ago and no one has asked,"What is is?,Why is it there?,
OR when are you going to move it?. Lots of Dust around the house too. Only bought one more car, A 63 Buick Electra with Freezing Air conditioning. Girlfriend appreciates the AC.
Interestingly enough dating 50 years later is ok because i know most of the answers but forgot the questions.
Sorry for hijacking this thread but it brought up some thoughts.

This pretty much describes my situation... Wife of 55 years passed a few years ago. Wasn't supposed to happen that way. I planned my departure to be first. As noted, lots of dust around the house. And, NO supervision. Anyway, I'm bummed, and have sold almost all the cars. I'm ripe for a project to entertain myself. The parts... I've been mostly giving them away. I never had very much, and I don't like being the seller, whether it's swap meets, ebay, or craigslist. I've lived my life being a 'buy high, sell low' sort of guy. So, I'd rather donate parts to anyone who I feel gives them a good home. I still have a few parts that I feel have some value, and I'm hanging on to them (for that project that I need). I've told my kids.. Don't try to clean the house/garage/shop/property. Don't even look at it. Sell it as-is, where-is. And, don't worry about stuff going to scrap. I won't be back for it. I've told my V8 friends, come get what you want. (Only those friends that I have some faith in. Some would come, take stuff, only to try and sell it. I haven't invited any of these types.)
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:04 PM   #36
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
This pretty much describes my situation... Wife of 55 years passed a few years ago. Wasn't supposed to happen that way. I planned my departure to be first. As noted, lots of dust around the house. And, NO supervision. Anyway, I'm bummed, and have sold almost all the cars. I'm ripe for a project to entertain myself. The parts... I've been mostly giving them away. I never had very much, and I don't like being the seller, whether it's swap meets, ebay, or craigslist. I've lived my life being a 'buy high, sell low' sort of guy. So, I'd rather donate parts to anyone who I feel gives them a good home. I still have a few parts that I feel have some value, and I'm hanging on to them (for that project that I need). I've told my kids.. Don't try to clean the house/garage/shop/property. Don't even look at it. Sell it as-is, where-is. And, don't worry about stuff going to scrap. I won't be back for it. I've told my V8 friends, come get what you want. (Only those friends that I have some faith in. Some would come, take stuff, only to try and sell it. I haven't invited any of these types.)

A wise man with a pretty good handle on the world as it really is! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:42 AM   #37
Karl

My concern is that when I'm gone my wife will sell my parts for the prices I told her I paid for them !!
Old 03-05-2020, 04:30 AM   #38
dumb person

I never understood why some people worship money. There are some disgusting old men that pinch every penny and buy nice cars only to ruin them to spite other car people.
Then there's everyone who just loves money, it's nothing more than a trading token. And you can't take it with you.

Then there's me, i'm only here for the cars. Keep them running as best i can and hopefully leave them in better shape for the next caretaker.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:54 AM   #39
wisbangman

Hey tubman! The ' xtra women ' comment is easy to explain. When I was young, I spent half of my money on women and booze.... the other half of my money I just wasted!
wisbangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:57 AM   #40
oldandtired

For decades I collected. After I retired, I started selling the stash of parts that I was unlikely to use, keeping what I needed for my own projects, slipping up a time or two and now I have to find some parts. My kids are not interested in the old Fords. Neither can drive a standard and they don't even understand the concept of no a/c or stereo. When I go to swap meets now, I always try to buy nothing but food unless I find something that I actually need. Most of the time I don't even go look because I am usually by myself. Sometimes it works out. Last year I was planning on being a good boy at Charlotte but I stopped off on the way there to see Bob Jones in the NOS area of Dennis Carpenter's and Dennis Carpenter had told him to go ahead and sell a good bit of his K R Wilson stash. The heavier the item the lighter my billfold. Fortunately I had friends to help me load.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote