Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #21
G.M.

Default Re: 35 ford coolant loss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombres ruin View Post
Bad head gasket..happend to me with the exact same symptoms.Do a check for combustion gases in the radiator,a simple test kit you can get from napa will suffice.pull the dipstick look at the oil color,is it a chocolate milkshake color? drain the oil and see if there is water there.
You don't have to drain the oil to look for water. After the engine sits
overnight just loosen, don't take out the drain plug and catch a few
spoons full of water or oil. The water is on the bottom and comes out
first. G.M.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #22
Seth Swoboda

Just a thought I'll add, do any of the head studs seep coolant around the nut? It sounds a bit ridiculous but if you have several of those studs weeping over time it can make a difference in the amount of coolant in the system.
Seth Swoboda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #23
AnthonyG

Do they make a 4 lb. pressure cap that fits on all the different '35 radiators? Also when using Haney's 4lb pressure valve on the overflow tube do you need the pressure cap also? The reason I ask is I put an overflow tank with shut off petcock valve on mine thinking it would resolve the issues you all are indicating. How ever when the car reached temp it started blowing past the non-pressure type cap so opened the valve on the overflow tank which stopped it pushing through the cap but still pushes out the of the open valve. Only have the issue in weather over 70 degrees. Really feel was an exercise in futility, LOL.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #24
Brian

Anthony, the caps on 35's are not 'pressure caps'. However, if it has a good seal, if you screw it on TIGHT, it'll seal. Now run your overflow into the catchcan, ensure the hose goes all the way to the bottom of said catchcan. Do not seal the catchcan. You have now replicated a modern cars system. When the coolant in the radiator heats up, it expands. It goes through the overflow into the catchcan. The radiator will however, always be full to the brim with coolant. As the coolant cools and contracts, it will syphon back from the catchcan. The radiator will always be full, irrespective of temperature.
I am assuming the overflow in your radiator eminates from the uppermost portion of the top header. If it ends just under the radiator cap, as I'm thinking Jacks is, then that is the level the coolant will be at.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #25
AnthonyG

Thx Brian, guess my question was can I buy a pressurized 4 lb cap for the '35 radiator to seal it. I did a setup exactly as you suggested on my 442. Lots of room on passenger side of radiator and under the hood concealed looks much like stock version on newer cars. However on the '35 as I run without a hood and didn't want to see the overflow tank I bought, https://www.amazon.com/Radiator-Over...+radiator+tank
I think I mounted it in a spot too far below the coolant level ( as you indicate ). It's designed sealed. First use I let the car warm up to let the coolant expand then closed the petcock valve sealing it thinking as the coolant cooled the shrinking would suck / siphon the overflow back into the tank regardless of height in relation to coolant. NOT, LOL. Instead as stated it blew out the cap obviously screwing up the siphon action when cooling. I'm thinking maybe I need to mount higher with top of tank at the level of the coolant when full. Also I believe I will have to mount the petcock valve so it's at the top of the tank as positioned. Hoping doing these two things will let both gravity and the siphoning action working together but still think I need to seal the radiator with a cap designed to seal / pressurize. Tank is polished aluminum so that part won't look too bad in the engine compartment next to the radiator showing. Sorry to steal the thread, wasn't my intention. Seems like my problem is similar enough as many and that it might help all having the issue.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:46 AM   #26
Brian

Anthony, the overflow container needs to be open to atmospheric pressure, and have the hose running all the way to the bottom of the container. That way, the bottom of the hose is always immersed in coolant and can syphon back into the radiator. Trust me; it'll work. On my 35, I just use a plastic catchcan outta some old Jappa, it tucks down between back of rad and front engine mount / sits on crossmember. Hard to see. works a treat. I drive my car - hard!! and never worry about coolant loss - only fuel loss! lol.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:10 AM   #27
Brian

Jack, Hopefully you can read this; it's out of a Ford service bulletin and addresses what is an all too common fault in 35 Fords. If, when you look into your radiator through the filler, you see the end of the overflow and a baffle, then you have the earlier styled radiator. The problem is that the overflow is positioned too low in the top tank, with resultant major coolant loss. The solution is to extend the overflow up through the top of the tank and opening at the highest point. This effectively raises the coolant level, ie, you can only fill the radiator to the level of the filler, but if you screw the [non pressurised] cap on real tight, as coolant heats up and expands, it cannot escape until it reaches the opening to the overflow, which is at the highest point. Any further expansion over and above that point will blow coolant out the overflow to be lost on the road.
Now, if you run the other end of the overflow into a catchcan, [all the way to the bottom as I've mentioned in my above posts] that is also open to atmospheric pressure, you with have a system, same as all modern vehicles have, whereby, the radiator will always be full, irrespective of temperature, speed, whatever.
First thing to do is to get the top of the overflow tube to that highest point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '35 Radiator.jpg (34.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 03-08-2017, 01:30 PM   #28
JM 35 Sedan

jack99, you don't have to be embarrassed to come back and acknowledge the help you got on your original post. It's easy to make mistakes when you are unfamiliar with a forum. Just sayin'

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:03 PM   #29
jack99

I do appreciate the fact that I have received so much help on this issue. I have had a e-mail exchange between Brian and my self and have cleared up all of our or my misunderstanding early on. We are fine. I have promised him I would send him photos of the radiator in the car. I have has several medical tests the past few days and have has minimal free time. It will get done and again I am thankful for all of your support.
jack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #30
Brian

Jack, you don't need to take pictures; I have posted a copy of the service bulletin which should help identify which style radiator you have. If, when you look into the filler, you see a baffle and the end of the overflow tube, you'll want to modify the radiator as explained in my text and the service bulletin.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:31 PM   #31
Talkwrench

Brian is trying to help you geez.. Not the sort of guy that would think badly of anyone.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #32
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. I'm enjoying this conversation, thank you contributors.

I have a '36 without stats and it (knock wood) is a swiss watch. Never spills fluid, never needs top-up. Had the car ten years, minimal cooling service required in that time.

Not the case with the very original/old and worn-out '35 I got last summer which I've driven as much as practical since then, and have never really gotten the cooling system to where either the car or I was happy. Hoses, new stats, (previous owner put on Skip's pumps just before I got it) and flushing are a few things I've done, as well as trying to figure what level it likes when it's cool.

Mostly it drips slowly from the overflow tube onto the ground under the grill. Never more than 1/2 a dollar bill, even when it's doing it a lot. I think it drips as I'm driving too. When I add fluid it can be a half gallon or so.

The day after I got it tagged, I was off for a 100+ mile ride. At the end of one 30 minute ride that day, the gauge was red to the top when I stopped. I opened the hood, and when I turned the cap it surprised me by popping up and onto the ground! From that I took it that the system was holding some amount of positive pressure at the time.

I think I'm gonna take a close look at where the tube is in the top tank!

I'll always listen to JM's experience and will at least investigate the check valve if the tube is already near the top of the top tank.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #33
jack99

To Brian and others who have offered much appreciated help to-date:

Sorry for the delay in providing photos that may be helpful. I've been trying to post in the thread as well as upload to an album but I get a "missing security token" message, but I requested help from Admin
and hope to get you the photos soon.

Brian - Thanks for the service bulletin - it's a little faint to read so I don't
know if you can send/post a version that is a little clearer, but I think I
get the idea of what it says.

Thanks again to all.
jack
jack99 is offline   Reply With Quote