Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2021, 09:06 PM   #1
Habusailor

Default PCV conversion

I have a 57 with a 312. Has anyone converted to pcv system and eliminated the breather and filter system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Habusailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:58 PM   #2
fordor41

Default Re: PCV conversion

I converted my '60 292 to PVC. fab'd a new filter canister(larger) and installed a PCV in the top. got vac. from fitting in front of the carb. also added an in-line oil separator between PCV and carb. closed off bottom of breather cap, added a hose fitting to draw air into breather cap from the inside of the air filter. works good. no more fumes at idle.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
oldave57

I installed a PCV conversion on my 1957 312 last year. There are several steps involved in the way I did the conversion:

1) Obtain a valley pan from an early Tbird that had the rear draft tube rather than the lower left draft tube in larger cars. I bought the valley pan on Ebay but they are getting hard to find. You could also modify your existing valley pan by adding the grommet hole and oil deflector "box" on the underside. If using the Tbird pan, you will also need to plug the hole in the box directly under the PCV to keep direct oil splash from the PCV. You will also need to check fit the PCV and grommet to be sure that there is clearance to the plug and the bottom of the deflector box. You need at least 1/4" clearance.

2) Remove the intake manifold and replace/modify the original valley pan to provide the port for the PCV valve grommet. (I bought a PCV adapter kit from Ebay that had the grommet and hose for connecting to a port on the carburetor). The PCV valve I used was from Rockauto (Standard Motors Parts V156 for a 1966 Fairlane with 289 engine)

3) Reinstall the intake manifold and carburetor and connect the suction hose from the vacuum port on the carburetor to the PCV. If your carb does not have a port, you can buy an adapter plate on Ebay that has the port and fits between the carb and intake manifold.

4) Don't forget to plug the opening on the lower left block for the original road draft tube. You can fabricate a cover (3/16" is what I used) or buy a cover from Macs Auto Parts.

The PCV conversion is one of the best modifications you can do. It eliminates the drips from the road draft tube and reduces the engine smells in the garage.

Good Luck,
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCV2b.jpg (313.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg PCV4a.jpg (36.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg PCV8a.jpg (438.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg PCV13a.jpg (434.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg PCV17a.jpg (404.0 KB, 36 views)
oldave57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:45 AM   #4
Hot Rod Reverend

shoot me an email at [email protected] or visit my website at HotRodReverend.com and I will send you an article I wrote up for the Y Block magazine a few years back on this conversion. The valley pans with the rear vent weren't only used in Tbird - most often they are called Tbird pans because in 1955 when the Tbird came out that was the only Y Block available that had that pan (ECJ 292 c.i.). While the 55-57 Tbirds all had that valley pan on their engines from the factory, Ford and Mercury continued to move that route with the rear vented valley pan. Even in the early 60's for Ford trucks there was a setup from the factory that had the rear vented pan, a small teapot looking spout fixture, and even metal tubing that went back up to the carb port for PCV.

These rear-vented valley pans are actually quite prevalent. Get on yblocksforever.com, join the Y Block Facebook group, or visit such sites as 57Fordsforever or even the Ford Truck Enthusiast forum. I have a few in my stash as well, but I'm not here to make a sale and all of that - you could probably find one closer to you and get cheaper shipping.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:46 AM   #5
Hot Rod Reverend

Great post right here - helpful tech and good pics for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldave57 View Post
I installed a PCV conversion on my 1957 312 last year. There are several steps involved in the way I did the conversion:

1) Obtain a valley pan from an early Tbird that had the rear draft tube rather than the lower left draft tube in larger cars. I bought the valley pan on Ebay but they are getting hard to find. You could also modify your existing valley pan by adding the grommet hole and oil deflector "box" on the underside. If using the Tbird pan, you will also need to plug the hole in the box directly under the PCV to keep direct oil splash from the PCV. You will also need to check fit the PCV and grommet to be sure that there is clearance to the plug and the bottom of the deflector box. You need at least 1/4" clearance.

2) Remove the intake manifold and replace/modify the original valley pan to provide the port for the PCV valve grommet. (I bought a PCV adapter kit from Ebay that had the grommet and hose for connecting to a port on the carburetor). The PCV valve I used was from Rockauto (Standard Motors Parts V156 for a 1966 Fairlane with 289 engine)

3) Reinstall the intake manifold and carburetor and connect the suction hose from the vacuum port on the carburetor to the PCV. If your carb does not have a port, you can buy an adapter plate on Ebay that has the port and fits between the carb and intake manifold.

4) Don't forget to plug the opening on the lower left block for the original road draft tube. You can fabricate a cover (3/16" is what I used) or buy a cover from Macs Auto Parts.

The PCV conversion is one of the best modifications you can do. It eliminates the drips from the road draft tube and reduces the engine smells in the garage.

Good Luck,
Dave