Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #41
G.M.

Default Re: Anyone using AMPCO top oiler?

I believe the guy that sells the Ampco oilers has the adaptors for the 4 barrel carbs. My copper lines are long enough that they won't work harden in one spot. G.M.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #42
Rand

I emailed Ampco and they have adapters for my 50 Merc.. for 20 sum bucks, I think this would be so COOL...
and I know my Flatty will thank me for it!
Randy
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #43
36tbird

I figured out that the tubing that came with mine is 3/16". The parts stores in my neck of the woods are not doing a very good job keeping their brass fittings bins stocked any longer, opting for those damn displays with fittings on cardboard/plastic containers which do not have the compression Tee's. But, alas, I am seeing them on the 'bay. So, if anyone is trying to hook up their oiler to a multi-carb set up like me, maybe this will help.

For a 4 bbl, I think you would just have to find a 3/8" or thicker aluminum base plate to put under the carb and drill it (21/64"?, I don't have the AMPCO instructions in front of me but I think that was the dimension for a 1/8" npt) about 1/2" deep in the center edge between the two primaries. Then, before tapping for the NPT fitting, you would drill into that hole diagonally into each primary throat with a tiny bit, maybe 1/16". After that, tap the hole and install the NPT fitting. I don't think I would bother plumbing the secondaries.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:40 PM   #44
scotdsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tbird View Post
Cool, thanks Vic. I have two base plates for the 2x2 set up. Are you using yours with any multi-carb set ups? Also, if you are not using the oiler, does closing the valve completely close off the vacuum loss? Thanks for the response.

Just installed an Ampco Oiler on my 1950 Coupe, so far it performs as advertised and more than that it looks cool as hell!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7696.jpg (48.1 KB, 38 views)
scotdsd is offline   Reply With Quote