Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2018, 06:37 AM   #1
RockHillWill

Default Panel Delivery at the Ford Museum?

I have been told / asked about the 225A Panel Delivery entered in Fine Point at Oskosh event has been sent to the Ford museum. I don't know what to say to those that have asked. Can some one confirm that it is or is not? Thanks.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: Panel Delivery at the Ford Museum?

Will,
I remember the panel delivery you entered in fine point judging at Oshkosh - very nice restoration job. I am still amazed at the satin paint job you did on the vehicle. When I was at the Hickory Corners museum a year and a half ago on the way to the MARC meet in Toledo, the panel delivery was not there. Maybe it was since put in the museum.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
Great Lakes Greg

The Edstrom family just donated A drop floor panel delivery to the Museum.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
Roger V

I called Will and emailed him Jerry M's pics of the delivery of Bill's seven A's including the panel truck(originally restored by Will) to the museum Monday March 5th.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
Midwest Tin

My understanding is all of Bill Edstroms model A's where donated to the Museum in Hickory Corners. They were picked up last week. Jim
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
Roger V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Tin View Post
My understanding is all of Bill Edstroms model A's where donated to the Museum in Hickory Corners. They were picked up last week. Jim
If all is seven, then yes. Again, delivered March 5th.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:34 AM   #7
Jerry Kzoo

Will, the delivery is very nice!!

It is not at the Museum...YET.

The plan is to have it put on display in early April and hopefully we will have more pics available of it on display then.

The Edstrom's also had other fine Model A vehicles that have been most generously donated to the Model A Ford Foundation and some of these will also come to the Museum at that time.

Please plan to make a visit to the Model A Museum and Gilmore in the near future to see these.

Also, Model A Day will be Sept. 15th there including a Swap Meet and Seminars.

Jerry
Jerry Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #8
RockHillWill

This is a copy of a post that I made on the Allmetalshaping website that I am an administrator for. I am sharing it here along with my sincere thanks to the large number of the members here that helped me on this project. It would not have gotten to this point if it were not for the kind, generous and unending thoughts, comments and instructions provided by many of the Ford barn members. Thanks guys!

In the early '70's I built a car that was purchased by Richard Petty that was donated to the Smithsonian Institute. In 1987-88 I restored the car that Bill Elliott won the Winston Million in and it is currently on display at the henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. Two days ago, I was notified that the last Model A Ford, a Drop Floor Panel Delivery, arrived at the Ford Museum. It is scheduled to be put on display in the next week or ten days I was told.

Model A folks like to name their cars, but I had not named any of the ones that I owned until this one. I struggled to find a name and was listening to an Allman Brothers song entitled The Midnight Rider, and it inspired me to name this truck 'Midnight' and when I was driving it, I would become the 'midnight rider' (clever, huh!). The song talks about 'one more silver dollar', and I decided to hide a 1928 silver dollar somewhere in the truck. I told folks prior to the National Judging (both times) that I had done so, and challenged them to find it. To my knowledge, no one knows where it is hidden except the sign painter that I hired to paint 'the midnight rider' underneath it's location.

These are some pictures of the sheet ,metal work that was done as I was just getting interested in metal shaping. I was looking for some folks that would do some of this type of work and could not find anyone, so I began trying to do some myself. It was, and still is, a slow process for me. I find that I have both feet firmly planted in the mediocrity portion of metal shaping.

Here is a link to some of the process of the Panel Delivery. Click on a picture of the truck for more details.

http://www.mantiquesresto.com/Projects/Projects2.html

Here are a few pics of metal working that was done. Built complete rear doors, complete dropped rear floor section, both lower quarter panels, interior tool box, skinned bottom of front doors and metal finished numerous panels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2wc141 001.jpg (178.3 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg 2wc141 006.jpg (170.5 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1258.jpg (133.0 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg dropfloorassywc2.jpg (53.1 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0734.jpg (91.7 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2002.jpg (115.0 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg nov02 005.jpg (129.9 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg nov13 001.jpg (65.7 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (123.5 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (83.2 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 4.jpg (107.5 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg pm15 022.jpg (93.3 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg SECTU-U.jpg (40.8 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg wc85 003.jpg (120.4 KB, 171 views)
Old 03-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #9
Jerry Kzoo

There goes the "Do Not Touch" when it is put on display!
Old 04-02-2018, 12:30 PM   #10
mgtf1500

As a novice what does a drop floor deluxe delivery look like or the what are the differences between a drop floor and a "non" drop floor?

Thanks
Will
mgtf1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:27 PM   #11
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtf1500 View Post
As a novice what does a drop floor deluxe delivery look like or the what are the differences between a drop floor and a "non" drop floor?

Thanks
Will

I'm certainly no expert but a distinguishing feature of the drop floor delivery is, well...the drop floor. Look at the pix RockHillWill posted above. The box section below the rear doors is the drop floor. IIRC, the rear side of the box is hinged to drop down, kinda like a pickup tailgate. This allows loading/hauling of tall items. A regular panel delivery doesn't have the drop floor section.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:09 PM   #12
Hunter

Will,

That is quite an honor to have cars that you have restored displayed in three nationally prominent museums. Doubt that anyone can top that achievement!

For others that are reading this post, if you ever have a chance to see this stunning panel delivery, please take to time and effort to do so. It is a testament to Will's metal working skills and attention to detail. We are all fortunate that it will be preserved and displayed for all of us to enjoy.

Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #13
100IH

I think that the drop floor came about because cash registers were intentionally heavy and difficult to lift up to the floor height of a pick up or a panel. So the rear was dropped to hold heavy loads. National Cash Register comes to mind.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:42 PM   #14
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100IH View Post
I think that the drop floor came about because cash registers were intentionally heavy and difficult to lift up to the floor height of a pick up or a panel. So the rear was dropped to hold heavy loads. National Cash Register comes to mind.

Now that you mention it, I seem to recall hearing something like that as well. In any case, the drop floor would be handy for loading/hauling heavy and/or tall items as long as the horizontal dimensions didn't exceed the size of the drop floor section. A large safe in there would produce some awesome traction...and some awesome wheelies!
Old 04-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #15
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtf1500 View Post

Thanks
Will
BTW, the subject of this thread is a Drop Floor Panel Delivery. The Deluxe Delivery (pic below) is more rounded like a sedan while the Panel is more squarish. The Panel has two rear doors while the Deluxe has only one. Both were made in A and AA versions. However AFAIK, only the A versions were made in both regular and drop floor - the AA had only the regular floor. Here's a couple links with more info and pix:

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/f/ford/ford.htm

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/US2831bodystyles.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100IH View Post
Yep, found a period pic (below) that confirms the cash register hauling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oo1931FordADropFloor2.jpg (17.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg oo1931FordAADropFloor1.jpg (19.1 KB, 126 views)
Old 04-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #16
Jerry Kzoo

Will and all,
I can now confirm that the 225A Drop Floor Delivery is now at the Model A Museum on display in the Showroom. Hopefully many of you can plan a visit soon to see this and the many other beautiful cars on display there soon!!

MAFFI.org
gilmorecarmuseum.org

Thanks, Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2485.jpg (62.1 KB, 81 views)
Old 10-23-2022, 07:15 PM   #17
Safari bob

Jerry,

Beautiful truck. I am helping to sell a friend's 1931 Panel truck. His
looks like the one you have in the museum. Is there a difference between a Model A Panel truck and a Panel Delivery? What is the Ford body style number for your Panel Delivery and for the Ford truck that I have here if it is different? Thanks.
Safari bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:40 AM   #18
Jerry Kzoo

Bob,
I am sure if you post pictures of the one you are trying to sell that there are folks on this site that can help you identify what you have.

Will has posted other pictures on here about the drop floor delivery part of this vehicle that make it unique for the rear door area.

Jerry