Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Jim Parker Toronto

Default 30 Roadster Windshield

My friend has a 30 Roadster, and he says the windshield has no closed position. He says it blows in passed the stanchions when he is going down the road. Is it possible that he has the wrong frame in there? I know there is a difference between the standard and deluxe models. Could this be his problem? Is there any stops to prevent this from happening? Of course, all roadsters of this vintage were the deluxe ones right? (only after the first rebuild or restoration. (He bought it this way, he didn't do it) Any pictures would be nice..... (Marco)
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: 30 Roadster Windshield

Jim, this link has some answers and a Marco picture.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ter+windshield

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parker Toronto View Post
My friend has a 30 Roadster, and he says the windshield has no closed position. He says it blows in passed the stanchions when he is going down the road. Is it possible that he has the wrong frame in there? I know there is a difference between the standard and deluxe models. Could this be his problem? Is there any stops to prevent this from happening? Of course, all roadsters of this vintage were the deluxe ones right? (only after the first rebuild or restoration. (He bought it this way, he didn't do it) Any pictures would be nice..... (Marco)
This was just recently discussed. Search the thread.
Does he have the 'wrong' frame. Well, one well known source says that if you have ORIGINAL good parts..no problem. But, how many of us have that luxury. Yeah, I'm in the repro majority crowd and put some pics of 'stops' that I made to deal with this problem. Making stops is only limited by your imagination,eh ! Works for me..until I find those 'original' parts !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
pooch

On a similar note, what stops the glass from resting or breaking on the gas tank cap when the screen is driven when lowered forward, especially if the wingnuts /cones are not real good?

Do the lower corners and lower rubber catch on the lower windscreen panel and keep it up?

It looks like the middle of the lower edge with it upwards curve will move out over gas tank as it is lowered. but the corners may catch....dunno?

And on that referred link, it was mentioned the wingnut thread is 5/16ths, it is 3/8ths UNF.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
On a similar note, what stops the glass from resting or breaking on the gas tank cap when the screen is driven when lowered forward, especially if the wingnuts /cones are not real good?

Do the lower corners and lower rubber catch on the lower windscreen panel and keep it up?

It looks like the middle of the lower edge with it upwards curve will move out over gas tank as it is lowered. but the corners may catch....dunno?

And on that referred link, it was mentioned the wingnut thread is 5/16ths, it is 3/8ths UNF.
I'd be surprised, IF the '30/'31 windshield was ever designed to lay down forward...while the vehicle is/was in motion. It can be removed easily and in short order, but there nothing for the windshield to lay flat on and thereby cushion it against damage. Never have seen one driven that way either.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
Marco Tahtaras

If you followed the link you saw my description of the cone/cup issues. Also the rubber seal around the perimeter helps a little. However the windshield MUST be able to be pivoted rearward through the opening or the windshield cannot be folded down.

When the cups and cones are proper as Ford made them the do hold the windshield securely whether in the up OR down position. as far as the down position the stanchions only fold forward to approximately level and stop. The bottom of the windshield then overlaps the ends of the belt rail panel.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
I'd be surprised, IF the '30/'31 windshield was ever designed to lay down forward...while the vehicle is/was in motion. It can be removed easily and in short order, but there nothing for the windshield to lay flat on and thereby cushion it against damage. Never have seen one driven that way either.
Prepared to be surprised. Actually, I drive mine (w/original cones) windshield down, when I can find my goggles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38380.jpg (37.1 KB, 78 views)

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
If you followed the link you saw my description of the cone/cup issues. Also the rubber seal around the perimeter helps a little. However the windshield MUST be able to be pivoted rearward through the opening or the windshield cannot be folded down.

When the cups and cones are proper as Ford made them the do hold the windshield securely whether in the up OR down position. as far as the down position the stanchions only fold forward to approximately level and stop. The bottom of the windshield then overlaps the ends of the belt rail panel.
OK, I think I see how that happens with an original 30.

I have made lower stanchions for my 28 cowl and put the pivot point as close as possible to the top screw, so mine will pivot at bottom of screen.

Your supplied measurement of 2 11/16ths from pivot to top screw hole was far too much for my hybrid.

I can see your screen coming back (cantilevering) inside over the belt rail....... is there anything that stops the screen frame from resting on the belt rail metal.....metal to metal contact...or just the friction of the cones and side rubbers holding it up?
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
Jim Parker Toronto

Thanks to all that have answered, I'll get a chance to go see him on Friday, and report your suggestions. Jim
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoarseWhisperer View Post
Prepared to be surprised. Actually, I drive mine (w/original cones) windshield down, when I can find my goggles.
Well, I did say...DRIVEN. This lady appears to be parked,eh!
It's hard for my eyes to see much from this pic, about how this lady's windshield is lying down
Do you have a clearer picture of your '30/'31 windshield lying flat?
And, are you saying that when you have driven your roadster with the windshield flat.....that you have NOTHING cushioning/supporting it away from the belt rail, etc
Old 01-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #11
hardtimes

Marco,
Thanks for that info/description of how the windshield is supposed to work and how folded.
Now the question is: IS THERE ANY SOURCE OF PROPER MADE/FITTING CONES,ETC ?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #12
mjw

Quote:
I drove mine all last summer with the windshield down. When it is down it never hit the gas cap, it stopped about an inch above the cap, but I did put a towel under it anyway. My windshield was cracked so it didn't matter. I had all original parts. It was fun with it down made it seem like you were going a lot faster than you were.
mjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Well, I did say...DRIVEN. This lady appears to be parked,eh!
It's hard for my eyes to see much from this pic, about how this lady's windshield is lying down
Do you have a clearer picture of your '30/'31 windshield lying flat?
And, are you saying that when you have driven your roadster with the windshield flat.....that you have NOTHING cushioning/supporting it away from the belt rail, etc
Sorry no, I do not have a photo of my roadster with the windshield flat.

Yes, I have driven my roadster with the windshield flat with "NOTHING cushioning/supporting it away from the belt rail, etc."

There is no need, as it doesn't budge.

The only issue is the wind turbulence on the face at 50 mph, which seemed more than when driving a motorcycle at 80 mph.

My roadster is currently tucked away and stored for the Canadian winter, however, once our Igloo's melt in the spring, I could take some photos, and perhaps a video driving the windshield flat, complete with images of the speedometer indicating 50 mph or so if that would help relieve your doubts.

Until then, I scanned this photo. They appear to be having fun, with the wind blowing their hair back, eh?

Keep in mind of the 600 pixel image limitation for uploading to Fordbarn.

Cheers!

1928 CCPU 82-A
Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
Keith True

I've driven my 30 Standard for years with the windshield folded down.The upper stanchions come to the end of their travel of their pivot and just stays there.I do loosen the wing bolts and swing them down on the windshield like shown in the picture.I don't bother with the mirror position as shown in the picture though.My dad likes to drive that one in the parade with the glass folded flat.On my original car the windshield will stay put in the upright position by just tightening the wing nuts.On another car with repro cones I have to rely on the rubber to keep it from swinging in at the bottom.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Marco,
Thanks for that info/description of how the windshield is supposed to work and how folded.
Now the question is: IS THERE ANY SOURCE OF PROPER MADE/FITTING CONES,ETC ?
I really don't know who makes what on repro parts as I rarely purchase and use them. There may be more than one source of the cones. The steel cups are part of (spot welded in) the stanchions. Most deluxe Roadsters have repro stanchions since they began life as a standard.

A good starting point for testing with a Deluxe is to put some bluing (or equivalent) on the cones and rotate the windshield in place then check the cone AND cup to see the contact areas. It will transfer from the cone to the cup where there was contact.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
I really don't know who makes what on repro parts as I rarely purchase and use them. There may be more than one source of the cones. The steel cups are part of (spot welded in) the stanchions. Most deluxe Roadsters have repro stanchions since they began life as a standard.

A good starting point for testing with a Deluxe is to put some bluing (or equivalent) on the cones and rotate the windshield in place then check the cone AND cup to see the contact areas. It will transfer from the cone to the cup where there was contact.

What a great pic, as it explains some things visually, thanks ! I'm going to try the 'blueing' technique !
Old 01-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #17
hardtimes

Very nice/clear pic, thanks! Hmm, always wondered where/how those guys/boys got that 'curl' hair back when there wasn't Bril Creme ?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
HoarseWhisperer

The first Brylcreem product was created in 1928; coincidently, the same year as the "New Ford".

Possilbly in response to folded-down windshields.

I recall one time in the 50's, where I mistook the Brylcreem tube as toothpaste.

I'm here to tell you, it tastes awful!

Still made today, I believe.

1928 CCPU 82-A

Last edited by HoarseWhisperer; 01-05-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw View Post
I drove mine all last summer with the windshield down. When it is down it never hit the gas cap, it stopped about an inch above the cap, but I did put a towel under it anyway. My windshield was cracked so it didn't matter. I had all original parts. It was fun with it down made it seem like you were going a lot faster than you were.
mjw,
Well, I've driven mine for the last five years...without a windshield. It is like (sorta) motorcycle, but safer. Takes all of a few minutes to remove/store. Rather than hassle with bs repro parts, blowing back thru frame at speed and folding damage worries. Out here on the south left coast, it's roadster weather year round (mid to high 80s thru Christmas/New Year)...don't need no stinkin windscreen !!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
hardtimes

Ho,ho..that's funny! But, I've got a better one...recently, a guy I know couldn't wait to make the loong trip to the bathroom...as he had a few buds. He grabbed a clear plastic cup from his work bench and did the deed. Well, he was called into the yard by her distractions. When he returned to the shop....well 'IT' looked exactly like the other in a clear cup. He said that it only took a milisecond to realize ...that it was 'warm'....yikes !! Put a smile on my face....but I didn't say a word,eh !!!
Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #21
mjw

Quote:
mjw,
Well, I've driven mine for the last five years...without a windshield. It is like (sorta) motorcycle, but safer. Takes all of a few minutes to remove/store. Rather than hassle with bs repro parts, blowing back thru frame at speed and folding damage worries. Out here on the south left coast, it's roadster weather year round (mid to high 80s thru Christmas/New Year)...don't need no stinkin windscreen !!
Well around here it gets sorta cold in the winter so that is one of the reasons why I sold it. Also I'm allergic to bees so its a little dangerous for me also. The Huckster will have a swing out windshield so thats enough for me. Not dangerous unless I drive shirtless....
mjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #22
hardtimes

Hmm, bee allergy is serious business and can be fatal to some..carry the kit,eh. lol
In thanks for not having that...I'm going for a ride now!