Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Bob/Kansas City

Default An ugly surprise

Over the weekend I decided to dive into the rear brakes on the roadster to get those rebuilt so I could move onto other things but here is an ugly turn of events I found after pulling the hubs and drums. The left rear axle is not only bent but has a big chunk out of the axle adjacent to the keyway. I've got to wonder what happened to cause that... must have been something catastrophic!
Now it looks like a new axle and a rear end overhaul will be in order. Sure didn't plan on that!
I have the Les Andrews books but am trying to find the articles on the diff rebuild from Tom Endy. I tried to download from the Fox Valley MARC site but it says the files are corrupt and won't let me continue. Don't know if it's my computer or what although other tech articles did load ok from their site.
If Tom or anyone has a copy of these articles they can email to me I'd sure appreciate it. If you do please PM me and I'll send you my email address.
Any tips anyone can offer on replacing the left side axle would be appreciated !

By the way I used the inexpensive ($31) hub puller from Bratton's to pull the hubs and it worked beautifully! I'd sure recommend this to anyone doing rear brakes.

Bob/Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Bob/Kansas City

Default Re: An ugly surprise

Oops.. axle pic didn't post....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LR Axle.jpg (71.8 KB, 416 views)
Old 12-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
CarlG

You might try Orange County MAFC, that's where I found Tom Endy's articles.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club

Last edited by CarlG; 12-16-2013 at 11:32 AM.
CarlG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
Chris Haynes

It would appear that only the threaded part of the axle is tweaked. If so and the wheel runs true I would bolt it back together and get down the road.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Bob C

Here's a link to Tom's article http://www.ocmafc.org/techarticles/T...0Re-Edited.pdf

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

I have an axle just like that which was given to me a few years ago. I hope to put a copper key in place and weld in the missing metal, then turn it for a clean finish.

I agree with Chris, that it appears the threaded part is the only bent part from what I see.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I have an axle just like that which was given to me a few years ago. I hope to put a copper key in place and weld in the missing metal, then turn it for a clean finish.

I agree with Chris, that it appears the threaded part is the only bent part from what I see.
Would you straighten the axle first and then add the metal?
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Fred K-OR

With exception of the bent treaded part of the axle, I have run my huckster for a number of miles with that kind of problem in the keyway. I do realize I may be asking for trouble in the long run but so far so good.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
John Kuhnast

Check my ad Axle for sale in the swap section.
John Kuhnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross/Kzoo View Post
Would you straighten the axle first and then add the metal?
I'm not sure what I would do about the bent threads?

One thing a guy could do is use the axle on the other side. Since the torque is always against one side of the keyway (except for engine braking) then the torque would be against the good side of the keyway.

I was trying to think of how the threads got bent. It just dawned on me that someone smashed it with a sledge hammer to remove the drum. Poor practice!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
Bob/Kansas City

Bob C - Thanks for the link. It worked just fine.

Tom Wesenberg - Yeah, That's what I was wondering too if someone took a big hammer to the axle to pop the drum off. Too bad because they came off easily with the right tool!

The wheel does run true without any wobble. Do you guys think it would be worth a try to run it this way? If so, it would sure save a lot of time and money!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
dumb person

Normal axle break. i have driven a car with a drive shaft much worse than that but it did eventually fracture worse after a year, so like the other guys said, weld it with some copper in the keyway and touch it up with a file and it should be good for at least a year or two of driving. Replace it when funds allow / when axle receives major future work>

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
Russ/40

If it was off the axel, I would be inclined to not only repair it, but straighten it. On the vehicle, I would only repair the keyway as others have mentioned. I would not be inclined to put enough heat into it to straighten it on the vehicle. Heating it would not be a bad thing, as you would be annealing an area that is crystallized and brittle from the trauma of the bend. I have never seen a broken axle, on any vehicle, that was not crystallized.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
Deuce Man

The keyway was not meant to carry the driving load. If you have a proper fit between the axle and the hub, with the right amount of torque on the nut, you can probably run with out the key. The fit is achieved by lapping the two together with valve grinding compound. During this process you will easily see when the two surfaces are happy together. Rich
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Man View Post
The keyway was not meant to carry the driving load. If you have a proper fit between the axle and the hub, with the right amount of torque on the nut, you can probably run with out the key. The fit is achieved by lapping the two together with valve grinding compound. During this process you will easily see when the two surfaces are happy together. Rich
True "scoop"! Also, re-assembly should be clean and dry...no lube or Never-Seize type stuff. The taper of axle and hub is what transfers torque when that nut is tightened to spec, similar to a Morse taper drill bit. Personally, I'd never try to re-use that axle. Good luck. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #16
1931 flamingo

Over the past 80 years do you realizi how many have been run in much worse condition than that?? Were there any problems before dis-assembly??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #17
Bob C

Attachment 157763I would replace the axle if it was mine, or you can wait till it looks
like this one and then just work on it in a vice.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5670.jpg (37.7 KB, 137 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #18
Deuce Man

Bob, if you decide to use this axle, have it crack checked. This is a relatively simple thing to do. First you have to find or borrow the stuff to do it with. There is a red dye and a white powdery spray. The red dye goes on first and you spray the white stuff on second. Well at least I think how it goes. This will show crack immediately. I am in the boat business, 99% of the inboard powered boats have their propellers attached to the shafts by the exact 9 to 1 SAE taper that henry used. When the taper and hub fit properly they last for years, doing their job. When they fit improperly or the key is carrying the load, the keyways usually crack in the corner, the crack travels up with time and the shafts break off just like the ford axle in the picture. This can be very expensive, though not as dangerous as losing a wheel, while going down the road. As part of a boats yearly haul out inspection and service the mechanic or propeller shop, usually crack checks the taper and keyway as described, cheap insurance. Same with your situation. Hope this helps. Rich
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

If it were mine, I'd DRIVE WITH IT, BUT, not over 2 MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would you want your Epitaph to read, "I TOLE YOU IT WUZ A BAD AXLE, DUMMY" Bill W.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #20
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Bob,

In your initial message, your looking for Mr. Endy's article already signals your initial thoughts of great mature wisdom to attack & try to find a remedy for this unknown endurance of a damaged Model A axle.

If a Model A rear axle brakes off, the hub & wheel may or may not exit sideways & allow the backing plate to fall & begin scraping the road.

At the very least, two quite serious problems may or may not occur:

1. One may or may not loose control while driving in traffic; and/or,

2. The rear left wheel may or may not pass you up in the lane of on coming cars.

(Good to think about the unknown possible "reactions" of the unknown other driver, (e.g. male or female, young or senior), who perhaps sees an unexpected Model A wheel headed his/her way about to cause a possible head on collision.)

Help is only a short distance to your keyboard & the responders on this Forum can supply great assistance in many ways if questions arise -- most sincere wishes for the best for you in your endeavor.

Might add, lost 2 Model A wheels over 50 years ago -- pure luck nobody was injured -- but I know what it is like to lose a wheel while driving.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob/Kansas City View Post
Oops.. axle pic didn't post....
Bought an entire rear end to rebuild it and swap it out so i could continue to drive mine as long as i could. it had the same crack.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #22
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Attachment 157763I would replace the axle if it was mine, or you can wait till it looks
like this one and then just work on it in a vice.

Bob
Is that the new 2 piece axle from overseas?
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote