Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #21
rockfla

Default Re: 35 sedan,Pebble Beach & Dearborn awards

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
It's a Ford! I have my doubts that it was even allowed on the field at Pebble Beach....
Petehoovie
Ford's have made the lawn at Pebble Beach.......Just not a 1935 Tudor Humpback sedan. NOW, did it drive some judges or someone of fame into or "on to" the show field, Maaaayyyybbbeee. Was it "Shown" in a class at Pebble Beach, I highly highly doubt it!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #22
jimTN

Rare.............., guess that makes my 35 round track a rare bird also even if the trunk was chopped off years ago. If it still has an original 35 steering gear it sure would not likely drive like a fine watch.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #23

I was hoping for some patina and that it was a barn find.
95476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #24
Hoop

What do you think would happen if a real 1935 Ford expert ... like Don Rogers ... were to contact eBay and tell them that the car is not an "original" as the seller claims?

Smart money says that eBay would take the position that anyone who buys the car would be protected by eBay policy. Meaning, the buyer could report the sale AFTER buying the car. A SNAD (significantly not as described) action could then take place.

Don Rogers would have a hard time convincing eBay to do anything prior to a sale. Keep in mind that any "policy" eBay has must apply to more than just this sale.

Be interesting to check it out. (Bet they don't do anything.)
Old 05-20-2019, 06:32 PM   #25
petehoovie

"One of the finest examples of a 1935 Tudor "Trunkback" Sedan in the country. This is a very rare car and a very rare piece of Americana. It is 100% original Henry Ford steal with its original V8 Flathead. It has been in a private collection for over 25 years and this is the first time it has been up for sale to the public. This is not your average restoration it is the most meticulous pain staking resto to concours specs you will ever see. Well over 100k just for the restoration. It only has 15 miles since finished from being driven in and out of the show trailer. She is a true trailer queen that has graced the lawn at Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance with a blue ribbon winning appearance and has also won the prestigious Dearborn award. You will be hard pressed to find a more perfect example. It is absolutely Flawless. Vineyard green exterior with Apple green Ford spoke rims. The interior also flawless using the exact materials in the restoration as Henry Ford used in 1935.
The restoration of the original Ford Flathead is a true work of art. Restored by the world famous Aldridge Motorsports with over 52 years of experience. Absolutely perfect Day 2 upgrades to include Offenhauser heads, 12 volt battery, Hydraulic brakes and dual exhaust. The automobile drives like a swiss watch. This level of perfection is hard to imagine, definitely the center piece to any ones Ford collection"

I don't like the way the hood fits....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:37 PM   #26
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
I thought you all would get a kick out of this.I asked the seller how he arrived at that price and if he could provide the award documentation .
I sure did get a kick out of it, deuce lover! Thanks.

Judging by the other, er, um, fine vehicles, he's trying to flip, he's outta his league on this (seemingly lightly/typically modified) car. The advert is incredibly inaccurate and reeks of ignorance on multiple levels!

I still think the underside will be a nightmare, all the stuff that makes it drive, ride, steer, stop, and not rattle or leak. Advertising your car as a trailer queen says a lot!

A person can get a daily dose of giggles out of the idiotic listings on that site!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
"One of the finest examples of a 1935 Tudor "Trunkback" Sedan in the country. This is a very rare car and a very rare piece of Americana. It is 100% original Henry Ford steal with its original V8 Flathead. It has been in a private collection for over 25 years and this is the first time it has been up for sale to the public. This is not your average restoration it is the most meticulous pain staking resto to concours specs you will ever see. Well over 100k just for the restoration. It only has 15 miles since finished from being driven in and out of the show trailer. She is a true trailer queen that has graced the lawn at Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance with a blue ribbon winning appearance and has also won the prestigious Dearborn award. You will be hard pressed to find a more perfect example. It is absolutely Flawless. Vineyard green exterior with Apple green Ford spoke rims. The interior also flawless using the exact materials in the restoration as Henry Ford used in 1935.
The restoration of the original Ford Flathead is a true work of art. Restored by the world famous Aldridge Motorsports with over 52 years of experience. Absolutely perfect Day 2 upgrades to include Offenhauser heads, 12 volt battery, Hydraulic brakes and dual exhaust. The automobile drives like a swiss watch. This level of perfection is hard to imagine, definitely the center piece to any ones Ford collection"

I don't like the way the hood fits....
This reminds me of the guy in Montana on EPAY since forever with the 10K belt buckles, 45K Lincoln rust buckets,etc.
Plenty of flowery stories about the car and how many were made, how his grandfather fought off indians in it in the 1800's, that the photo's do't do it justice, that the attached photo is not the real car just a likeness,etc.
Jeez,enough already.
95476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:36 PM   #28
VeryTangled

I encourage you to skip to the next post.

Here’s my fantasy set of questions and comments if I were to move on this advert.

One of the finest examples of a 1935 Tudor "Trunkback" Sedan in the country.

The car is almost identified correctly, "Trunkback" is a nickname. [EDIT: And it's definitely NOT a Model A like the title of the listing.] The rest is opinion, but no comment from me.

This is a very rare car and a very rare piece of Americana.

Production and survival numbers do not support calling this a rare car. What makes you call it rare?

It is 100% original Henry Ford steal with its original V8 Flathead.

100% steel is a common selling point, can you tell how much filler was applied and what repairs were made to the body or fenders? The engine wasn’t available in 1935, sorry I call Bullpoop. Steal is an unfortunate misspelling.

It has been in a private collection for over 25 years and this is the first time it has been up for sale to the public.

Vague… Is the person who owned it for 25 years selling it, or are you brokering or flipping something you invested in?

This is not your average restoration it is the most meticulous pain staking resto to concours specs you will ever see.

Opinion.

Well over 100k just for the restoration.

Got the receipts that turn this bold statement into fact?

It only has 15 miles since finished from being driven in and out of the show trailer.

#1 What show are you referring to? #2 How many (shakedown) miles since restoration?

She is a true trailer queen that has graced the lawn at Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance with a blue ribbon winning appearance and has also won the prestigious Dearborn award.

Blue-ribbon (sp) winning trailer queens can be temperamental so not a plus in my book, on to the questions. What year and class was it invited to and shown at Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance (another typo in the advert)? What year and meet did it score a Dearborn win, an did it qualify for Dearborn Emeritus (a second judging)? Since your ad says this car is “…not your average restoration it is the most meticulous pain staking resto to concours specs you will ever see.” Those judge’s sheets would be nice to peek at, do you have them?

You will be hard pressed to find a more perfect example. It is absolutely Flawless.

Opinion.

Vineyard green exterior with Apple green Ford spoke rims.

Possibly non-standard shades, and definitely the wrong pinstripe… Can I look at it in person to see the paint and take it for a 30-minute drive?

The interior also flawless using the exact materials in the restoration as Henry Ford used in 1935.

So, you say those are 84-year-old materials, but installed when?
Oh yeah, you showed the receipt for that earlier, sorry buddy.

The restoration of the original Ford Flathead is a true work of art. Restored by the world famous Aldridge Motorsports with over 52 years of experience.

Famous for concourse quality 1930’s engine restorations? Doesn’t seem so? What other Pebble Beach cars did they do work on? (http://aldridgemotorsportsinc.com/) World-famous is hyphenated.

Absolutely perfect Day 2 upgrades to include Offenhauser heads, 12 volt battery, Hydraulic brakes and dual exhaust.

Politely. In my experience show cars don’t have these alterations, can you explain the timeline for when modifications were made related to the awards being earned? 12-volt is hyphenated.

The automobile drives like a swiss watch.

Tell me a little about the other Swiss watches you drove to compare this automobile to?

This level of perfection is hard to imagine, definitely the center piece to any ones Ford collection"

There was certainly some perfection and imagination here, maybe in the level of non-truth. And the last goof, “any one’s Ford collection” would be correct.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 05-20-2019 at 08:10 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:38 PM   #29
Kube

What do I think? Well, for one, this guy doesn't have a very good command of the English language. Restored? Not even close.

For two, it is important that all of us maintain dreams. He obviously does.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:40 PM   #30
deuce lover

I asked the seller if there was documentation of the awards.Yes was the reply.I then asked what year it was shown at Pebble Beach and what V8 Ford event for the Dearborn.The answer was to call if I was a seroius buyer.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:46 PM   #31
Tinker

funny tangled/Jeff.

pretty easy to see a duck called a goose or vice versa. As old as the first deal every made. Buyer beware.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-21-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:51 AM   #32
tiger.1000

Not knowing much about old Fords; I rather like it ! Spiffing good paint job chaps !
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:18 AM   #33
fourfords

Pebble Beach???? The only time I saw Fords at Pebble Beach was in 2003 to commemorate Ford Motor Company's 100th year. Saw a couple prototype Fords from the '30's. Otherwise, I understand they are not welcome. Only Bugatti's, Duesenbergs, Cadillacs, etc. No cars from the "Low Price field."

Last edited by fourfords; 05-23-2019 at 06:19 PM.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:47 AM   #34
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfords View Post
Pebble Beach???? The only time I saw Fords at Pebble Beach was in 2003 to commemorate Ford Motor Company's 100th year. Saw a couple prototype Fords from the '30's. Otherwise, I understand they are not welcome. Only Bugatti's, Duesenbergs, Cadillacs, etc. No cars from the "Low Cost field."
Foufords
It's not a matter of "Ford's Not welcome", Pebble Beach is driven by the CCCA which is fairly specific about the year and makes of cars that fit the category and not many Ford's fit the bill - especially a 1935 Tudor Touring Sedan. They have "softened" their selection of vehicles "slightly" which adding to you're comments above to include "Significant Hot Rods" which I would have NEVER guessed they would do. BUT year in, year out....NO a Ford will not be on the show field.

Last edited by rockfla; 05-21-2019 at 12:19 PM.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #35
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I bought a Model A Towncar at Pebble Beach Auctions a few years back.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #36
1931 flamingo

Besides not being "original", it's a trunk-back (hump-back)....................
JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #37
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Besides not being "original", it's a trunk-back (hump-back)....................
JMO
Paul in CT

Didn't Ford refer to the so called trunk-back (hump-back) as a Touring Sedan?....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #38
tubman

I had a '36 without the trunk, and always thought it was a much better looking car (sorta like the Victoria they made a few years earlier).
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:42 PM   #39
35fordtn

To Each their own.. He owns the car and can rightfully price it as he wishes. A buyer that demands a Dearborn quality car would certainly show no interest in this car anyways. Nice car no doubt but not for the purist at heart.

Maybe just maybe, the car won a Dearborn prior to the changes to the car that would prevent it from even getting close as it is currently presented.

PS I do like the Good Year tires, which is one thing that in my opinion is more authentic than the commonly used Coker Firestones.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:52 PM   #40
Gary troxel

Should it also have the second wiper or did that start later ? Gary Troxel [email protected]
Gary troxel is offline   Reply With Quote