Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #21
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1956 Mercury color code help

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Motor Pool View Post

The original color as found in the engine bay and inside the trunk is definitely Niagra Blue. The car has been over-painted in a more turquoisy colour (you can see the paler blue underneath where the top coat is flaking off. Again, the dark blue is like Delta blue, but this must have been applied when it was re-sprayed. On the roof, where the dark blue has rubbed off, you can see Niagra blue underneath. I guess cars were painted all over in the main body color, then the roof and lower sides sprayed in the second color if a Flo-Tone paint job was ordered.
Correct. Two-Tone starts with a base color (an all over) and then the trim coat(s) is applied.

Let us know how you come out and hopefully someone will figure out the 205 CODE.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #22
Michael Allen

Smile Re: 1956 Mercury color code help

Not sure if this may help. In my NAPA Martin-Senour-Paints chip books I found a code 205A listed for a 1956 Mercury. There were also more codes listed alongside as well which may mean the color to be a "carry over" from other years (same formula, different code). The color name is "Tyrolean Blue". This is a "solid" color basically a light blue. The following may be like chewing aluminum foil and not actually help in identifying your color. I probably have a formula available but would contain obsolete colorants. Something to keep in mind when looking at chip books: The chips are "representative" of the actual color, not real color "standards". You should however at least be able to compare similar 1956 light blue chips and look for those "redder", "greener", "lighter" (less intense), and "darker" (more black - grayer).
Michael Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:48 PM   #23
The Motor Pool

Default Re: 1956 Mercury color code help

Thanks Michael Allen. Does that mean that 205A is an all over single color of Tyrolean Blue, as a special order? The car is light blue. I cut back some paint on the firewall, which is original, and assumed it was Niagra Blue. Any one got the '56 Body parts catalogue?
The Motor Pool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #24
Oldmics
BANNED

Tyrolean Blue is listed as a Spring color for 1956 and has a code of 05A.

Perhaps we are getting closer?

Oldmics
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #25
The Motor Pool

Might be getting a touch nearer?
I assumed the base color to be Niagra Blue 05, as that is the nearest to the original color I could find on my paint chart. However just looking at Mercman from Oz's post of his 56 Merc chart, there is Tyrolean Blue as 05A, which Michael Allen mentioned. My Duco paint chart doesn't show Tyrolean Blue. This color actually looks more like my base color, than Niagra Blue.
I had a bit of a dig on the Merc today. Bearing in mind the respray wasn't the best quality, judging by the overspray on the chrome trim, I found that the dark blue goes under the door rubbers. I can't believe they took the rubbers off, so the dark blue is probably factory. In the door shuts you can see the dark blue is slightly metallic, like Delta Blue.
So.... Could we have Delta Blue/ Tyrolean Blue/ Delta Blue as code 205?
My brain hurts....
Old 05-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #26
rotorwrench

It certainly could be. There are always a few exceptions in FoMoCos way of doing things.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #27
The Motor Pool

Well, finally found the answer. Following advice from rotorwrench, I picked up a copy of the 56 Mercury Body Parts catalogue Final Edition. 205 is indeed Delta Blue Met./ Tyrolean Blue/ Delta Blue Met. Incidentally, 204 is Tyrolean Blue/ Delta Blue Met./ Tyrolean Blue. Thanks everyone for your input, we got it right!
Old 06-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #28
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 1956 Mercury color code help

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Motor Pool View Post

Well, finally found the answer. Following advice from rotorwrench, I picked up a copy of the 56 Mercury Body Parts catalogue Final Edition. 205 is indeed Delta Blue Met./ Tyrolean Blue/ Delta Blue Met. Incidentally, 204 is Tyrolean Blue/ Delta Blue Met./ Tyrolean Blue.
Now isn't that something?

THANX! for getting back and describing how you found the info.

Can you give me the actual publishing date?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:53 PM   #29
Fortunateson

Not to hijack but I was told Meteors could be preferred in Ford or Mercury colours. Any comments?
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote